I did play and the people rejoiced!

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
edited October 2014 in Live
I played and sang a song last night at my sister's silver wedding anniversary party.
I've mentioned having problems with stage fright and stress on here in the past and I haven't played in a while as a result of a couple of bad experiences last year.
The plan was to do a short set with my niece (singer) and nephew (cajon) as we've never played together before and my sister would be so made up, but I bottled it at the start of the week. I wasn't sleeping and I was worrying about it all. It's meant to be fun but to me it's stress so I said no.
Got there, met everyone and they were all in fun mode, then my niece and nephew did a few numbers without me and they were great. I got called up and could see the joy in my sister's face so I did it. I PLAYED! I PLAYED A SONG!
Their first dance at their wedding was 'Wonderful Tonight' and it's the one song I HAD learned so I did that. Fingerpicking and everything! They came up and danced and there were tears (not from me!). It was pretty damn special and I loved it for once.

And then two women asked me out!
I might meet one of them for some booze soon...

Top night. 
0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    Nice one. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good man, I know what nerves are like, but somebody told me once performing in front people is like going to a nudist beach for the first time. It's only hard to start with then you get used to it

Well done for getting yourself up there!

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Great stuff. A result for you, but also it's something I bet your sister will fondly remember for a long time.

Well done for conquering the fear.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    edited October 2014
    I wouldn't call it conquering! There was a lot of love in the room and for once I wasn't nervous.

You know the odd bit? I let people down by saying I wasn't going to do it and that felt really crap. But by saying no a few days ago I stopped worrying about it and that made me able to do it 'spontaneously' last night.
    Not something I can make a habit of doing, mind.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Ok, well done for winning one small battle against the fear.

No, you can't make a habit of saying no and then turning around at the last minute. But doing that has enabled you to play this time in public, very successfully. You can remind yourself of that when you're facing your next engagement. And bit by bit you'll get more relaxed about the whole thing.
    Hope so!

My sister lives an hour away from me in a different town and I think not knowing the majority of the people there helped too.
  • Awesome Stu.  Should rightfully be damn proud of yourself.  Lovely story too.  All the best to you all.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Aw cheers, @randomhandclaps
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Niceone fella. 

Playing live is brilliant.
    It can be.

I used to love it when I was younger and in a band. Never had problems with nerves.
    Maybe it's cos I'm older and doing solo acoustic stuff, and there isn't any noise to hide behind. Every mistake, every flutter, is clear as day and I don't want to sound shit. So I'd rather not do it.
  • Two women asked you out the first time you played a song!? Are you, and they, lookers? 
    Man... maybe I should have started playing gigs before getting in a relationship ;D Lol!!
    Somebody must have gotten it on video - so we look forward to hearing!
    edited October 2014
    Two women asked you out the first time you played a song!? Are you, and they, lookers? 
    Man... maybe I should have started playing gigs before getting in a relationship ;D Lol!!
    Somebody must have gotten it on video - so we look forward to hearing!

No fear of any video! If there does happen to be one I think I'm happy to see it...? I usually beat myself up over mistakes so best avoided I reckon!

Am I a looker? Dunno. Want me to PM you some 'special' pics? ;)
    I'm a cheeky guy and I won the room over so one of my sister's pals took a shine to me. I don't fancy her at all and she lives in my sister's town but I was definitely flattered!
    The other girl lives in the same town as me. She's seen me in my local before and knows my sister but had no idea I was her brother given that we live in different towns. Got chatting and she wants to meet up for drinks some night. I'm up for that!
    No fear of any video! If there does happen to be one I think I'm happy to see it...? I usually beat myself up over mistakes so best avoided I reckon!

Am I a looker? Dunno. Want me to PM you some 'special' pics? ;)
    I'm a cheeky guy and I won the room over so one of my sister's pals took a shine to me. I don't fancy her at all and she lives in my sister's town but I was definitely flattered!
    The other girl lives in the same town as me. She's seen me in my local before and knows my sister but had no idea I was her brother given that we live in different towns. Got chatting and she wants to meet up for drinks some night. I'm up for that!
  • Nice one! :D
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited October 2014
    Nice two actually :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well done!
  • Great work, buddy!
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2014

Was it a solo thing or were you part of a douchet?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Who cares - we now just want a report of the date lol!!!!!
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    That proper cheered me up, nice one :)
    All practice and no theory