Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How would you approach Livin' On A Prayer with just one guitar and no keys?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Thanks for suggestions and help so far folks ... don't intend to miss any of you out ... some individual responses follow

@axisus @Gassage @Frankus

ho ho ... I knew some funny comments would come :)

@spacecadet

I intend playing around with various fx, see what works ...
    bearing in mind, I need to be able to kick quickly from the synth-like sounds to the voice-box wah to the OD as the song progresses

@spacecadet @mike_l @stickyfiddle

point taken, I'll try the lick in different ways, slide down somehow - thanks for the video link

@Grunfeld @Jalapeno @IanSavage

Female singer ... key of the song should be okay :)
    Mic out to the crowd might be a good idea if the place is rocking ... or we might look like complete tools ;)

@maltingsaudio @Fuzzdog
    we will have to develop our own ... the key is, I guess, filling out a 'big sound' with all the key components

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i've done it live a few times and a wah sounds close enough for the talk box bits

• vizviz Frets: 10644
    I got a rocktron banshee which sounded great but difficult to match the sound to when it's off, so now I just use a wah wah.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I've gigged it a lot in various band lineups - one of my bands without keys does an acoustic intro then kick in with the chorus off we go...  the other option is to just start with the bass intro.   
    Then just play the song - heavy guitar tone and it'll be fine - for your own satisfaction you can play around with various ways to get the voicebox but very few people would notice if you don't bother - i usually use an autofilter but sometimes wah and sometimes don't bother depending what rig I'm using.
    The bigger worry is the key change near the end that will really test your vocalist. I usually get around it by merging into another song after the solo - give love a bad name works nicely.
    I've found an FX option on the Zoom G3X call Cry - works fine for vocal-box sound.
    Band meet tomorrow so I will have to hear how it sound in the mix.
    Our first attempt at this song last night ... we had a couple of run throughs ... seemed like one we can do with some tightening up, tweaking, rehearsal etc.
    I was pretty happy with the sounds ... need to sort out my levels but that's nothing, a few tweaks.
    Rock on!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome news. Sounds like you're halfway there ;-)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited September 2014
    Gassage said:
    I wouldn't worry- I think you're halfway there.

RAOTFALMFAO   =)

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Bump as I need to do this soon!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It's a staple of my set How can I help you
  • Do you emulate the higher-pitched keyboard part during the verse? I think I'll do that as the main riff doesn't kick in at that point. I think I just need to use the wah as I don't have a talkbox - or just play it without effects and nobody would care!

We've been practicing this a few weeks now - going is good.

Intro:
    Guitar playing the sustained synth chords.

Verse 1:
    Guitar playing the stabbed 8ths synth part based around Eminor chord at 7th fret (with various sus 4 / sus 2 changes)

Verse 2:
    Riff with wah effect and lead fills
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

No I don't bother I just keep the riff running. I have two guitars though so one does the C D E section where I keep the riff solid

It rocks more like that. Tried doing the keyboard riff but it just sounds scrappy

I use an M13 so I use the vowel wah thingy in that if I remember (although to be honest I don't bother mist of the time)

The bits that sound great are the 3 part harmonies in the pre chorus and the harmonies on the chorus (very high though)

• A variety of approaches!!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Cabicular said:

No I don't bother I just keep the riff running. I have two guitars though so one does the C D E section where I keep the riff solid

It rocks more like that. Tried doing the keyboard riff but it just sounds scrappy

I use an M13 so I use the vowel wah thingy in that if I remember (although to be honest I don't bother mist of the time)

The bits that sound great are the 3 part harmonies in the pre chorus and the harmonies on the chorus (very high though)

This.

I've done it in lots of bands and you can play around with the guitar parts so long as you do plenty of the riff it'll be fine - the difference between a good band and sounding average is the vocals imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A variety of approaches!!
    I think the way my band approaches it is the best...........

.........we don't play it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Tried it tonight - sounded best with the wah and also doing the synth bit with the Em stabs. 
    Excellent - glad it worked out
    :)