pro level electro

2»

Comments

• Don't discount the Yamahas fitted with their new pickup system, beats the cack out of the Expression system in my opinion.
    The pickups system is brilliant but I cant recommend anything in the range that is steel strung and under £1000. They just dont play that great and the sound isnt all that either. I say this as a huge Yamaha fan. If it was nylon strung I would say you cant go wrong with anything you buy. 

I think if I was looking for something up to £1500 I would go for a Martin. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Another one here for takamine, I gigged a ean for 12 years, and now have a fp450, both guitars take on anything, plus the acoustic sound is fantastic.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I'd echo what ICBM said and avoid an electro-acoustic as such, and get the best acoustic you can, then get an under saddle transducer fitted. K&K Westerns are well regarded passive types, requiring no batteries.

For your daughter's playing style that you describe, I'd seriously consider a Martin all-mahogany dreadnought or OM. I don't normally like dreads but these sound great both for flat picking and fingerstyle. 

Personally, I can't get on with Taks for finger style work as I play quite lightly, but I guess if you play hard and for bashing out big chords they are a great choice.

Many of the well-known percussive acoustic players use a Lowden. More singer-songwriters are also using them - Ed Sheeran played one at a recent gig, although I think he usually plays Martin.

Lowdens can be a good choice for solo or small ensemble work, but perhaps less well in a band situation. The big, complex Lowden sound and great sustain can make a solo performer sound huge. You can probably get a second-hand O or F model within your budget.
    Tuning stability is the one of the best out there, thanks in part to the five piece neck.
  • Great tks another to add to the list to try. Would not have thought of Lowden.
    I will look up the K and K westerns as well
    Tks again
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Pop into Peach and try the acoustics. Find the one that light her fire and add an undersaddle PU.

It will still be a sweet guitar ten years down the line. I'm not a fan of that modern 'glistening' electro acoustic sound and rarely find a ready made electro I like plugged in and acoustic/mic'd.

As for the Thomman option, they offer a returns policy if it doesn't suit her.
  • I have wondered about their money back guarantee but their website says free returns within Germany only
  • Going into a shop is a real eye-opener. I walked away with a brand I had hardly heard of (Larrivee), which I preferred to Taylor, Martin, Guild, etc etc. No substitute for getting hands on with acoustics.

I always say this but DO NOT try guitars outside your budget, as you will want them and probably buy them. :D
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Larrivées are wonderful and very undervalued guitars. Not my personal preference tone-wise usually, but you can't fault the build quality so if you find one that sounds right to you, buy it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson