not all Midi cables are created equal.

Some have 2 core wires a la XKE and some have 4 core wires and the latter are rather important for midi clock options :D
A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ...and some have 7 pins (with an extra two cores) for phantom power :)
    <space for hire>
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I guess that's important for controllers but less so for unifying two synths or a sequence based enveloper/ drum machine with a looper :)

where time is of the essence...

seems crazy to me to rate programme control above synchronisation ... but that's just me ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I hate interconnects that do things like that. 

DVI is also a total shit for having multiple variants that can look the same. 
  • True, but the system appears to have survived this far :)

That said, I'm seeing an awful lot of MIDI-over-USB implementations these days, which seems - to me - to be the height of stupidity. Take a ubiquitous standard, which allows device-to-device communication with no intermediary and can be easily extended as far as you need it to, then wrap it up in a protocol-and-bus combination which only works with a frigging computer in the middle. How can that possibly be better - or even cheaper???
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    edited September 2013
    If it's like the keyboard I have (61-note keyboard thread), there's only one USB socket as opposed to two (or three) DIN sockets, so it will be cheaper.

It's also far more convenient if you do want to connect it to a computer rather than another MIDI device. I'd guess that covers a large proportion of its target market.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson