'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    Why thank you :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    For some while I thought I would do a little mini series about building one of my more 'involved' humbuckers: the Buccaneer Wide Range.

Most people know the story: Fender produced a couple of shoddy and lackluster 'reissues' of the WR ... that were in reality no more than conventional humbuckers inside that huge WR shell ... with the spare space filled with wax and wadding.
    A stock pic to illustrate:
    In the background a proper WR ... in the foreground what looks like a standard bucker wrapped in a wax soaked sanitary pad!
    Worse still these 're issues' had bar magnets under the coils ... rather than individual CuNiFe magnetic pole pieces ... and no steel plate under the coils to boost the inductance. In short not a WR at all!
    When I designed the buccaneer I took a cold hard look at the options: bobbins could be made from scratch to the original Fender spec ... but magnets were a problem. The originals were ... as I said ... made from CuNiFe ... a magnetic material soft enough to thread and make the slugs adjustable. Sadly CuNiFe is hideously expensive and rare these days, so I took the decision early on to use fixed alnico slugs with dummy screw slots. This enables the choice of many more grades of magnet than the threaded non CuNiFi WRs that some of my competitors make. It also allows tailor made flatwork that can again be adjusted for customer's preferences in sound.
    Most of my flat work is laser cut these days ... but as the pole spacing of the WR is a one off ... my vulcanised fibre sheet is cut for them the way I started way-back ... using a routing jig. It's noisy and dusty ... but it gets the job done :)

See you in the next part when the magnet slugs get all beveled and slotted.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Alnico magnets are extremely hard and brittle ... shatter easily (and somewhat explosively when they go) and don't like to be got too hot while being worked. The only way to cut and shape them is with grinding tools ... and even then it's a bugger of a job! Each Buccaneer uses 12 alnico rod magnets ... six plain, as they will be under the nickel cover, and six bevelled and slotted to resemble the Fender WR's CuNiFe slugs. For the record alnico is all together a 'better' and more stable magnet material ... many old WRs have magnets that are nearly dead now, as they lose their charge much more readily. image

Six magnets all with their south poles up ... ready to be beveled

Done exactly as Fender did in the fifties: a power drill, a bench grinder, a VERY steady hand and some serious goggles ... cos if these puppies shatter everyone gets a bit!

tFB Trader
    Just prior to adjusting the jig ... and getting some coolant on the magnet as I slot it. see all the filings? They must all be removed before the pickup is assembled: for that job I use large quantities of Bluetack ...

One set of slotted magnets

next episode shortly :)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited September 2013
    Enjoying it so far. :)
    I hope it has a better ending than Dexter. ;) 
  • ddlooping;41869" said:
    TheGuitarWeasel said:

Not seen it yet. Don't ruin it.

But if it's rubbish, I'll be genuinely upset.
  • ddlooping;41869" said:

Not seen it yet. Don't ruin it.

But if it's rubbish, I'll be genuinely upset.
    You might really like it, it's all very subjective. :)
    tFB Trader
    Just wish they'd end the effin Walking Dead ... jeez, even hearing that they have another series of that on the box boils my gonads!

tFB Trader
    Here are the parts that Fender 'Forgot' in the first generation of Wide Range 'reissues': the reflector plates. Here we see a pair of rough cut and drilled ones for the Buccaneer being built in the earlier part of the thread.
    This plate sits under the coils and pushes up the inductance of the pickup by adding ferrous mass in the magnetic field. This gives a little 'free boost' in power ... but it's major effect is to smooth out the top end frequencies while adding a little beef and girth to the low end. Tele pickups get a great deal of their characteristic sound from the baseplate ... as to Wide Ranges ... so god knows why Fender left them out! For the record I use steel basplates on several of my designs ... the BrassKnuckle and my Winterizer Firebird pickups being two.
    Don't worry the plate will be buffed and made prettier ... though with the cover soldered on the pickup nobody else will ever see it :)

• Nice. Dedication!

By the way, get ready for me to purchase another set from you. Probably a high output bridge bucker and either a p90 or matching bucker for the neck. I'm planning my next build, and I'd like it to have a chance of sounding good, even if I can't make it play well :)
  • Hey Ash, I am intrigued by these reflector plates.

What do they do & how do they work?
    Do they actually contact the magnets or do they sit behind them?
    The holes make it look like they contact somehow.

And a total newbie question, what does this style of pickup sound like, subjective description I know, and why does it sound that way?
    Enjoying the thread immensely, and it is helping me narrow down what I want from my next pickups.
    Thanks, Chris

edited September 2013 tFB Trader
    Okay, reflector plates or 'inductance plates' as I prefer to call them, sit butted up to the bottop magnets on some single coil pickups...or closely surround the base of the magnet on others. They do not have to make electrical contact with them (in fact on most pickup designs it's better if they don't as it causes grounding issues) bit they must be in very close proximity in the magnetic field.
    Adding ferrous material (iron) within the magnetic field of the pole magnets and within or under the coil increases the inductance of the pickup. Increasing the inductance gives a tiny boost to 'perceived' output power ... but most importantly it shifts the frequency response of the pickup noticeably: fattening up the lower frequencies a little, and making the top end a little more smooth and less 'icepick in the ear'.
    Classically this effect is heard on Telecaster Bridge pickups ... where the plate helps keep the twang down low ... whilst stopping what could be a 'shrill' design (due to it's very tall coils) from making peoples teeth break with the treble :)
    Most Humbuckers have there single magnet way down under the coils ... and transmit the magnetic field to the strings via spindly 3mm pole screws (not much ferrous mass there) and this adds ... along with the high turn count of wire between the two coils ... to the more 'middle' centred ... less focused sound of a classic humbucker.
    The Wide Range (designed by Setrh Lover for Fender) was supposed to do what it said on the tin ... provide a very wide and even coverage of frequencies .... to be clear and sparkling like a single coil ... yet to have a big, fat bass and plenty of  middle like a classic humbucker. To this end the WR has six magnetic pole slugs per coil like a single coil ... that are much larger than standard humbucker ones ... and two coils per pickup ... reverse wound and reverse polarity to be hum cancelling. The effect of the single-pole-per string layout is to give huge clarity and note separation but a slightly wayward treble ... particularly in the bridge position. Add a baseplate or reflector plate, and some of that 'rudeness' is tamed.
    Not everybody likes the original Wide Range sound in truth: it's pretty close to two single coil pickups mounted close together ... huge, fat and without careful handling, even a touch overpowering. But with the right amp and sensitive use of the volume control it really shines. Modern makers have added refinements that Seth Lover never invisioned ... for example my Buccaneers are available with four conductor wiring which gives you an almost Strat-like tone from the bridge pickup when split. Plus in the bridge you have the sheer grunt of an 11k pickup wound with 42awg wire (impossible in a regular sized humbucker) that can push your amp really hard ... and split you have, pretty close to a conventional Tele pickup ... complete with baseplate!
    Also, personally I have reduced the neck pickup output a touch from Fender's original, to make it balance better with the bridge. This has produced wine of the most versatile pickups I make.
    My BrassKnuckle conventional sized humbucker shares a lot of design features with the Buccaneer and Wide Ranges in general ... and is a good option for wanting a similar versatility in a normal regular sized package.
    Hope all that made sense (grin)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    This has produced wine ...

:D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Oh well ... my Freudian slip's showing :)

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421

Hi Ash - mailed you re a Hendrix / Timmons  sounding  neck HB for a Jem 7V ...

tFB Trader

JMP220478 said:

Hi Ash - mailed you re a Hendrix / Timmons  sounding  neck HB for a Jem 7V ...

Mailed back at ya :) You've got me thinking ...

edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    The biggest changes to my line up of pickups yet is about to happen: I've been in development for months ... and now the first of the new humbuckers is ready to be unveiled. My aim is to have one of the most comprehensive ranges of humbucking pickups outside the big guys. So Joining my Blitz Spirit PAF style lower output units ... my Scrapyard Dog, and Scrapysrd Dog Plus ranges ... my alnico 4 NightFighters ... are the new V range of high output buckers.
    From the 15k ceramic magnet V1 ... through the classic 17k alnico 5 V2 ... to the alnico 8 and Ceramic alternatives of the awesome 20k V3 ... there will be something for all those who like to rock out a bit more.
    As you can see, some V's feature magnum sized hexagonal poles ... others will feature the choice of  retro, seventies DiMarzio style, hexagonal slugs or conventional slotted poles and slugs. Magnet choices will range from conventional alnico 5 and ceramic ... to alnico 8/ceramic 8 hybrids and my special super sized 1/4 inch thick alnico 5 bar.

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Looking good, Ash. :)
  • Oh my.  

STOP MAKING ME MAKE DECISIONS

I'll be messaging you when I've got the guitar.  I think an alnico monster or maybe a hybrid one for the bridge, and something a bit different for the neck - a p90 maybe, or... Something else you fancy trying.  I have faith.

They look great, though, and must sound the balls.
    tFB Trader
    The Hybrid ceramic 8/alnico 8 is waiting for the delivery of some special custom magnets from the US lol  ...
    I'd better not tell you about the prototype 20+k Tony Iommi style P90 prototype on my bench then ...