Fretboard Task 2 September 2013

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1198
    edited September 2013
    Barney said:
    really small world ...yeah Plateau only lasted for about 6 months...the amp was the MK2B ...wish i had kept it now but it went part ex for the MK4....where did you see us play and what was your bands name ...?
    Err... Don't know and don't know.
    Didn't realise Plateau were only going for such a short time.

Our band was always changing it's name every week. Typical bunch of 18 year-olds. We weren't too good at rehearsing and our gear wasn't exactly top-notch!

Think we played at Whitehaven - think it was the White House. Like I said, best forgotten. Frank Hall was really nice and offered advice (probably along the lines of "don't quit the day job" ;) ). He was a great drummer - always worth watching.

Obviously saw you play there and at least once more in Workington, where we all lived. We all used to drink quite a bit so it's a bot of a blur really. Dobbo was briefly in the band but I'm not sure if he was at that time. I believe he's still part of the scene up there.

Around that time I remember coming back from a very long van trip to see Deep Purple in Paris. I picked up a bunch of Alan Holdsworth LPs in London as they seemed impossible to get ooop North. Not sure that anyone I played them to was too impressed as I think most people I knew considered Abominog to be the height of musical sophistication at the time!

Anyway. You've clearly kept your chops up and then some! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4959
    edited September 2013
    I cheated a bit and are be posting something did a couple of months ago for basically the same challenge. I did this one for "Detective Night". wonder how TFB likes SoundClick links?

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12336827

*edit* The answer being, as links, no automagicals with SC
    :(

*edit2* Don't have much spare time 'til the weekend, I'll check everyone's stuff out shortly.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @littlegreenman That's really cool. And I mean cool in a very specific, early 1970s New York kind of way - that Melvin Van Peebles tear-arseing about the place in a car the size of a bungalow and generally stickin' it to the man kind of cool.

Very good and very true to the genre - loved the bass part.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited September 2013
    Really enjoyed listening to these :D

@littlegreenman - lovely stuff - just one more thing - lol   :D

@barney - great, nice melodic jazz

@ftmunch - beutifull, well developed overall feel to this

@Phil_aka_pip - great stuff very accomplished - respect

@Octatonic - great - can see the doctor who baddy army marching to this one

@Handsome_Chris - I'm too scaredto sleep now - lucky that glockenspiel came along to save me

edited September 2013
    messed up double post 
    :\">
  • @daveww Thank you kind Sir!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Quickly done this morning and intended to be a backing to something sad and romantic - lol

Not too happy with it so might well have another go...

• daveww said:
    Quickly done this morning and intended to be a backing to something sad and romantic - lol

Not too happy with it so might well have another go...

Liking all the ideas going on that you got down there @daveww. Flamenco at heart, jazzy tinged, bloody nice listen :D
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    edited September 2013
    @liitlegreenman thanks for the kind comment.  It was one take and I didnt like the backing I'd put down but I tried again and although the playing was a bit better it lost out on spontaneity  :D
    Are we going to have an October task, or have I missed it somewhere?

And while we're at it....
    I don't want to appear crititcal but we appear to get multiple that seem to have little or no relation to the task set and are just dumps of old ideas/demos. Surely the point is to try and do something a bit different or at least with some kind of recognisable idea/theme/direction? I honestly think that if we set a task like "do a fucking awful dissonant, atonal honk noise" we'll get  17 blues jams from 2003 and 11 tasteful mixolydian solos.  It also makes it a lot harder to comment on them if people submit so many.

Anyway. Sorry for the rant. I'm having one of those grumpy days. No change there then.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Basher said:
    Are we going to have an October task, or have I missed it somewhere?

And while we're at it....
    I don't want to appear crititcal but we appear to get multiple that seem to have little or no relation to the task set and are just dumps of old ideas/demos. Surely the point is to try and do something a bit different or at least with some kind of recognisable idea/theme/direction? I honestly think that if we set a task like "do a fucking awful dissonant, atonal honk noise" we'll get  17 blues jams from 2003 and 11 tasteful mixolydian solos.  It also makes it a lot harder to comment on them if people submit so many.

Anyway. Sorry for the rant. I'm having one of those grumpy days. No change there then.
    @Basher Fair comments. Would you like to set October's task?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    :)>- sounds like a good idea to me
    edited October 2013
    What's wrong with "do a fucking awful dissonant, atonal honk noise" then?

I'm not really very good at this. The only ideas I can come up with are vague things like "rewrite the Belgian national anthem" or "record something that reminds you of a horse".

What about:

I Gots Rhythm: As guitarists, many of us forget or ignore the importance of rhythm in music in favour of melodic noodlings. This task is to compose a piece of music that emphasises rhythm. Use anything and everything to come up with interesting percussive ideas. Obviously drums are good, as are bits of tupperware but the guitar can be a source of some great sounds. Hit, scrape, skronk and bash those git-fiddles into a state that the Fender Custom Shop would consider too reliced to be believable!

or maybe...

Riff-o-matic: Again, stressing the simple side of things, try and come up with something with a strong riff, or riffs. Let's see if we can get the next Black Dog, So What, Seven Nation Army or, god forbid, Sm*k* *n t*e W*t*r.

or even...

Bubble and Squeak: Put something together using leftovers. Maybe a snippet that didn't fit into your latest jazz odyssey or a nifty change you liked but couldn't shoehorn into that rock opera about ladyboys from mars invading Swindon. This is not an excuse to post 17 more jams from 1993 - it's all about reusing something you'd cast aside. If you cheat, you'll only be cheating yourself. And us too, obviously.

Err...

Seven Eleven: Do something involving either 7 or 11. Could be the time signature(s), number of notes or repetitions of a part. Break free of the tyranny of fours!

Urmmm.....

Monkey Tennis: Compose something that reminds you of Andy Murray...

You see. I'm not cut out for this. I'm more of a blind follower than a charismatic taskmaster. Maybe somebody with a bit more Alpha in their genetic makeup could come up with some ideas?
  • I still like the 30-sec "promo bed" idea for use on community or commercial radio with Sporky's DBAD theme in it somewhere.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited October 2013
    I did enjoy this task as it inspired me to try something without the guitar. 

@dindude, I enjoyed your cop show sleaze. It reminds me of the 80s.

@Basher, Excuse moi, Monsieur Pantaloon, a nice piece that would be fit for the French version of Hollyoaks - but in a nice way.

@daveww, another great piece that is suited to this task.  I could see it being used in the French version of Hollyoaks, where they have to take Monsieur Laurent, the labrador, to the vet - for the last time.
    I did enjoy this task as it inspired me to try something without the guitar. 

@dindude, I enjoyed your cop show sleaze. It reminds me of the 80s.

@Basher, Excuse moi, Monsieur Pantaloon, a nice piece that would be fit for the French version of Hollyoaks - but in a nice way.

@daveww, another great piece that is suited to this task.  I could see it being used in the French version of Hollyoaks, where they have to take Monsieur Laurent, the labrador, for the last time.
    I actually worked on Hollyoaks for a few weeks! Just freelance graphic design but very enjoyable nevertheless. Not that I've eve actually watched it or anything. Even the thought of seeing one's own handiwork on camera was not enough to make me endure an episode. The French version might be more interesting though.