So what actually is the heaviest combo?

What's Hot

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6121
    tFB Trader
    I thought my mesa Mark v was heavy at 65lbs!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM - It's enough when I have a set of outdoor metal stairs to carry it up and down!

AF Custom Cabs are doing the head and cab for me. The original case has be drilling into in four places on the top, and a hole made for an extension socket on the side. It's pretty battered, but knowing I was going this route means I didn't really care. It's the sound :-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Ah right, I remember the pics of it now. Not worth worrying about it if it's knackered! They're not rare, but they are rare in nice condition so I wouldn't cut up a good one.

For me the biggest problem with carrying them is that because they have no side handles you can only pick them up with two hands if you carry them bodily across your chest, and at that point you can't see where you're going up or down stairs so I take your point :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, it's going to lose no value at all :-)

Carrying any amp over about 25kg with a just strap handle is a bit silly in my mind. As for the stairs, a drop of rain and it could all get a bit dangerous!

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    The Matchless DC30 & Bad Cat Black Cat 2x12 (essentially the same amp) are up there with the monstrously heavy. I've just converted mine to a head and 2x12 cab which makes it a lot easier!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Dc30 is 83lbs I think ...and a single handle.
  • @thisisguitar - Can't wait to see the finished item.  The one like it you posted looks awesome.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Fender Super Twin was "fuck heavy" if memory serves.

Proper Ac30s get into the realms of WTF when moving them post gig.

Orange OR120 combos (1970s one) were astonishingly heavy too - a band mate had one with JBLs retrofitted (Jolly Big Loudspeakers?) and that thing was plain and simply stupid. Plus it sounded fucking terrible...

HH stuff was fairly hefty too - if memory serves there was a thumping great bass combo with 2x15s that was a two man lift... Ugly mother too.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396

Gigging tonight we are using a Fender Twin hard cased, A Marshall EL34 \ 100 100 racked and an Ampeg SVT hardcased and it's 8 x 10 cab hardcased

Wheels and ramps help a lot but there's always some dreaded stairs
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I think my Cornford Roadhouse 30 combo is very physically large and heavy - 29kg - for a relatively low powered 1x12 amp.  Both the chassis and cabinet are heavy in their own right, combined it is an awkward SOB to move around.  Sounds nice though :)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    My old MkIII Boogie had an EV speaker with a magnet the size of a dinner plate. It may not be the heaviest combo ever made, but given its diminutive proportions, it certainly felt like it.

A flight case with wheels was the answer on the flat - it had handles at each end, so assistance could be sought where needed.
    My old MkIII Boogie had an EV speaker with a magnet the size of a dinner plate. It may not be the heaviest combo ever made, but given its diminutive proportions, it certainly felt like it.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure the MkIII and MkIV 'standard size' combos with the EV win the density contest, even if not the outright weight.

I went into a shop to try one when I'd never played one before, and it was on a fancy display stand (you know how they did these things in the 80s, very 'Hollywood'  ;) ) - the shop chap suggested I went and brought it over to somewhere I could try it while he fetched a guitar, and for a few seconds I thought he was having a joke and it was actually bolted to the stand :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    edited January 2015

I used to lug a MKIII EV loaded hardwood combo in its flightcase week in, week out to gigs......thinking back I must have been mental...up/down stairs the works.....

I remember it once falling out of the bottom of its flightcase as one of the catches finally had enough...it fell off the front of a high stage and bounced....and made a rather large dink in the wooden floor....needless to say, we never played that venue again...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember having to a gig at a pub. 
    Having walked in on the ground floor we asked where we had to setup. 

"4th floor mate"

And they had no lift. Me and my twin and the bass player with his Trace elliot 4 x 10 thing didn't enjoy that one. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited January 2015
    The Nomad 45 4x10 is a weighty beast. The cab weighs approx 49lb on its own. I had the exact spec but lost it now. Peavey vt deuce was also hugely heavy. I used to use it to press the suspension down in my landy, as it was heavy enough to mimic the paving slabs my mate used in his.
  • @RandomHandClaps - It'll be by the same guy, though I will be going with colours more akin to the original I think :-)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    edited January 2015
    heaviest 30w must be the DC30 at 83 lbs

compare that with a Victoria Tweed twin at 50 lbs
  • ToneControl;491269" said:

compare that with a Victoria Tweed twin at 50 lbs
    I have an Egnater Rebel 30 2x12 at 88lbs which is 40Kg
    If you discount my Trem-o-verb which is currently running with four 6V6s and one 5V4 and produces about 30W, yes :).

The Matchless doesn't even have end handles either, which is silly at that weight.