Sweet Child of really annoying....

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
Is it just me or does anyone else find the intro to Sweet Child O Mine really frustrating to play?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    The whole song.

To listen to.

Yes.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    I got sick of it yrs ago, why frustrating though?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Lol ftumch and lix.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Nope, it is a classic and pretty easy.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Am I the only guitarist who has never tried to learn it?

From what I remember from Slash's book it was a finger exercise he used to do to warm up which Axel incorporated into a song so it's probably intended to be taxing to play.
    Yes it was a warmup lick that they jammed on.
    Izzy had a bit to do with the arrangement I reckon.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    The first two bars are fine, the change in bar 3 that really grips my shit and Ive prob got the fingering wrong.. 

Im only learning it as I have to do for the covers band Im doing...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I'll have a little noodle later and see what my fingering is, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

If I've got this right, on the third bar the first note is 14th fret on the d string and the note your coming from is 14th on the G, is that the bit you mean? I just play the g with a little bit more of the fleshy part of my middle finger and roll onto the d string with the same finger. That's probably a really bad explanation.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited October 2013
    The easiest way to play the intro is to alternate pick.  If you do that it's relatively easy.  The bit that sounds similar to the intro later on which isn't is a bit of a bitch though.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I love that song! I can play the intro and strum the chords but I've never got around to working out the solos. I'm just hopeless with learning stuff, the notes don't stay in my head
  • Heard it way too many times for this lifetime.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    Nope.  I've never bothered either.

Thought about it a couple of times... but never got around to doing anything.

Now... there's a surprise !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I gig it pretty much every week -  the 3rd bar I start with my 2nd finger.   I hadn't really thought about it but just had a go - the note before on the G string at the end of the 2nd bar I play with the pad of my finger and roll over to use the tip of that finger for the E to start the 3rd bar...  easier to play than explain...  

Just play it loads and it'll become a riff you can do without thinking..
    John_P said:
    I gig it pretty much every week -  the 3rd bar I start with my 2nd finger.   I hadn't really thought about it but just had a go - the note before on the G string at the end of the 2nd bar I play with the pad of my finger and roll over to use the tip of that finger for the E to start the 3rd bar...  easier to play than explain...  

Yep same as me
    ftumch said:
    John_P said:

Yep same as me
    Same here.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    John_P said:
    +1  When I first played it live I was more than a bit nervous about it cos let's face it, if you stuff it up everyone is going to notice and you will look amateurishly stupid.  There's very little wiggle room on the solos too, everyone knows them note for note.

However, many playings later... it's easy money cos it's not actually that difficult thereby allowing you to dick around standing on a table with a top hat on your head, holding your guitar up in the air and grinning at the audience like you're very clever... a bit like last night in fact :-)  [/no shame]

So it's well worth nailing IMO
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    Lixarto said:
    The whole song.

To listen to.

Yes.

This.
  • Yeah I had the same issue as you in the beginning, but as the guys said, just keep playing it over and over and it really does become second nature. Only the fast part of the main solo to learn for me now - although I have to confess I kind of got fed up and gave up on it as I found something else to learn, terrible of me I know  :-\"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Lixarto said:
    The whole band.

To listen to.

Yes.
    Edited for accuracy.

monquixote said:

No!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom