'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited October 2013
    Did somebody say P90 ? - that's mad Ash, just mad    :)>-

P.S.  it might just affect the gravitational pull of the earth too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TheGuitarWeasel said:       (edited down heavily from the detailed reply above, Chris)
    Okay, reflector plates or 'inductance plates'...
    Adding ferrous material (iron) within the magnetic field...
    Classically this effect is heard on Telecaster Bridge pickups...
    The Wide Range (designed by Setrh Lover for Fender) was supposed to do what it said on the tin...
    My BrassKnuckle conventional sized humbucker shares a lot of design features with the Buccaneer and Wide Ranges in general ... and is a good option for wanting a similar versatility in a normal regular sized package.
    Hope all that made sense (grin)
    Thanks for the detailed reply, yes that did make sense to me, a very good explanation, and much appreciated.

I take it that the Buccaneer is actually a larger pickup than would fit in a standard HB route?
    I was thinking about the Brass Knuckle while I was reading through your reply, I do like the idea of these, and the sound clips of both on your site sound very convincing.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9980
    tFB Trader
    TheGuitarWeasel said:       (edited down heavily from the detailed reply above, Chris)
    Okay, reflector plates or 'inductance plates'...
    Adding ferrous material (iron) within the magnetic field...
    Classically this effect is heard on Telecaster Bridge pickups...
    The Wide Range (designed by Setrh Lover for Fender) was supposed to do what it said on the tin...
    My BrassKnuckle conventional sized humbucker shares a lot of design features with the Buccaneer and Wide Ranges in general ... and is a good option for wanting a similar versatility in a normal regular sized package.
    Hope all that made sense (grin)
    Thanks for the detailed reply, yes that did make sense to me, a very good explanation, and much appreciated.

I take it that the Buccaneer is actually a larger pickup than would fit in a standard HB route?
    I was thinking about the Brass Knuckle while I was reading through your reply, I do like the idea of these, and the sound clips of both on your site sound very convincing.
    Yup ... quite a bit larger actually ... they were really a one off design:)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Mr Weasel!
    A request for you... Do you do relic'd pickups? Im looking for a lowish output zebra humbucker that looks like the cat ate his dinner off it...
    I know most people will throw their eyes up but.... ;)

Cheers...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    tFB Trader
    I can indeed do relic work ... if you want suitably nadgered pole screws etc it may take a couple of weeks to get what you want looking right. If you PM me with the sort of look you want and the type of sound you want I'll happily quote :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Hi Ash,

Sorry for the slight thread derail but I have a quick question for you if you don't mind ?

I don't know if you recall but earlier this year I bought a Strat set off of you to put into a Partscaster I was building,
    It was 2, Triple Blues Neck & Mid with Cream covers & a Stone Tone with a Black cover in the bridge position.
    Anyway as it transpires I'm now buying a guitar already loaded with Oil City's (Stone Tone neck & Mid & Hardman Bridge) so I've sold my set on to @monquixote. Now he's looking to buy some pickup covers for them and was wondering whether the bridge pickup is 52mm spaced.

I said I didn't know but would ask you ?

tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    Hi Ash,

Sorry for the slight thread derail but I have a quick question for you if you don't mind ?

I don't know if you recall but earlier this year I bought a Strat set off of you to put into a Partscaster I was building,
    It was 2, Triple Blues Neck & Mid with Cream covers & a Stone Tone with a Black cover in the bridge position.
    Anyway as it transpires I'm now buying a guitar already loaded with Oil City's (Stone Tone neck & Mid & Hardman Bridge) so I've sold my set on to @monquixote. Now he's looking to buy some pickup covers for them and was wondering whether the bridge pickup is 52mm spaced.

I said I didn't know but would ask you ?

They are all three of the 52mm persuasion :)

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Superb, thanks for taking the time to answer that Ash !
  • Hi Ash,
    Ill send you a pm..
    Thanks a lot ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader

Here's the next in the high output series ... this is the bridge version of the the 17k alnico 5 V2. Soon available as seven string too.

Think a 'JB' with a more organic sound ... and huge wedding tackle. I do these with 'mini hex' poles, or with V1 style poles, or conventional slug and screw combos ... in the following bobbin colours.
    Ninja zebra (both black)
    Zebra (black and cream)
    Confused zebra (reversed zebra)
    Dirty snow zebra (both cream)
    And soon: invisible zebra (transparent bobbins so you can see my lovely winding technique :) )

Oh, and shy zebra is available too nearly forgot ... that's nickel covered, standard poles.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    ... in the following bobbin colours.
    Ninja zebra (both black)
    Zebra (black and cream)
    Confused zebra (reversed zebra)
    Dirty snow zebra (both cream)
    And soon: invisible zebra (transparent bobbins so you can see my lovely winding technique :) )

Oh, and shy zebra is available too nearly forgot ... that's nickel covered, standard poles.
    :D
  • I presume you know that Ibanez already do a range of pickups called V1, V2, etc...? Does it matter?
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    Far Eastern rubbish :) they can kiss my made in England butt
    I presume you know that Ibanez already do a range of pickups called V1, V2, etc...? Does it matter?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2013
    Nice one Ash, very purposeful looking pickup that V2, always loved the look of hex bolts, more hi tech look (and less likely to shred your plec too)

Love the Zebra fetish too, that is way cool
    :D

tFB Trader
    Great and classic as they may be,  fillister headed screws are a pain to put in, mash easily, and can allow your tool to slip (ooooer missus) and damage the pickup or your guitar's finish.
    The hex headed machine screws in the V1 are of a similar mass to standard slot head pole screws ... so are like double screw coils. Whereas the threaded 5mm slugs on the V2 are more like a double slug coils. Of course if you want you can have a 'slug and screw' setup ... but where both are adjustable.

• Far Eastern rubbish :) they can kiss my made in England butt

Can't argue with any part of that sentence! :)

• For future reference, would you or could you make covered humbuckers with twin rows of hex bolts as per this? I dig that look.
    tFB Trader
    For future reference, would you or could you make covered humbuckers with twin rows of hex bolts as per this? I dig that look.
    I'm having troubles finding trem spaced (52mm) covers in nickel for this but I can (or will be able) to do 50mm spaced shortly ... I also have the trick of doing 'camo' covers.

• Cooooooool!
  • Wait, wait, wait...

Transparent bobbins? Is this for real? Because that could be way cool!