A 2015 mod a Harley Benton guitar challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• DaleftyDalefty Frets: 508
    edited March 2015
    Roland said:
    What modifications are you planning?
    You do realise that you're talking to a self admitted idiot who severed two of his own fingers - middle and ring fingers on my left hand, not with power tools, nor a knife, or even steel cabling snapping under tension, but with a bong while at work, yes you read that right, I managed to sever two of my own fingers with a bong.  Not only that but I even managed to get dumped because I contracted MRSA. 

What you're asking requires forethought and planning, not my strong point, infact if they where ever to hand out ''moron or idiot of the year awards'' I would dominate it and have several mantle places full of trophies, if you look up the words ''idiot'' or ''moron'' in the dictionary you will find my picture.

I'm just aiming to get the kit assembled without cutting off anymore fingers, or getting any new scars, anything aftrer that is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

DaLefty.
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 218
    Well, I'm sure that's fine, but that's not really the point of this challenge at all...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Dogbreath has arrived. Only had a quick unamplified twang at work so far, but it seems fine - playable action, tuned in okay, intonation pretty good. More later.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

edited March 2015
    Would it be against the rules for me to get one of our office interns - the really thick one, to do most of this challenge?  I'm not going to get him to do all of it, just the bitch work - you know the messy bits that always result in leaving you a massive clean up like sanding, the guy will learn something for once in his life, not to mention it will keep him out of my hair for at least a week or two, plus I'll probably curse at him less for those weeks.

Will that be against the rules?

DaLefty

If it makes any deiiference I was planning on giving him 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper and getting him to sand the sealer off the body.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Yes it's against rule 1 of The Fretboard
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes it's against rule 1 of The Fretboard

You can't blame a guy for trying.

DaLefty
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    Dalefty said:
    Roland said:
    What modifications are you planning?
    You do realise that you're talking to a self admitted idiot who severed two of his own fingers - middle and ring fingers on my left hand, not with power tools, nor a knife, or even steel cabling snapping under tension, but with a bong while at work, yes you read that right, I managed to sever two of my own fingers with a bong.  Not only that but I even managed to get dumped because I contracted MRSA. 

What you're asking requires forethought and planning, not my strong point, infact if they where ever to hand out ''moron or idiot of the year awards'' I would dominate it and have several mantle places full of trophies, if you look up the words ''idiot'' or ''moron'' in the dictionary you will find my picture.

I'm just aiming to get the kit assembled without cutting off anymore fingers, or getting any new scars, anything aftrer that is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

DaLefty.
    Please, please tell me all of that's true.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Please, please tell me all of that's true.

Unfortunately it is

Would you like detailed instructions on how to sever your own fingers with a bong, or how to get dumped by getting MRSA?

You know these warnings you see on power tools and drugs about not operating dangerous or heavy machinery when under the influence of, well I'm the idiot these warnings are written for.

DaLefty
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    We need the whole story here, were the fingers reattached?
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    Hertz32 said:
    We need the whole story here, were the fingers reattached?
    Let me walk take the dog for another walk and I'll post a full set of instructions after work, yes the fingers where reattached and I have roughly 70% of the strength and dexterity back in them, not enough for professional guitar use in my opinion hence why I went lefty, not to mention that because of the nerve damage, they don't feel like they are my fingers, they feel like dead weight attached to my hand, they have very little touch sensation in them, and they are constantly sore.

Dalefty
    edited March 2015
    I take it that it is cool for me to work on this challenge at work, where I keep all my tools? I really don't want to be splitting up my tools and having some at work, some at home, and inevitable loosing some of them - some of them are not cheap and not easy to replace.

DaLefty
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    I'm giving participation some serious consideration but...

I've never done anything like this: do we get latitude for fuck ups and general failure of execution in the face of excess ambition?

Or do we get drummed out like the next mdphilips1956 for ruining a perfectly good guitar?
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    I've never done THIS before either @Plukky so you're not alone. If nothing else I'm learning loads about guitars - and if I f*ck it up....ah well :-)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    You'll never get heat for having a go, it's a great way to learn and we love seeing the results.

But don't then call yourself what amounts to an expert luthier who "improves" well established, well engineered guitars and bridges whose work actually looks like a bodge job! 

I'm in the "enthusiastic amateur" category so I can do set-ups, clean and maintain and do a bit of soldering. I can build from parts and know what I'm aiming for. I can't do nut work though, no tools for that yet! Apparent,y MDPhillips doesn't have the right tools either!
  • Can I sign up for this please ?

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    I kind of forgot to post my GAS - I picked up a HB electric violin about a month or so ago, plus a "Don't Fret" sticker which is a superb idea for complete n00bs like me! No idea if I'll keep it, but for £100ish it's quite fun so far to muck about on.

• I kind of forgot to post my GAS - I picked up a HB electric violin about a month or so ago, plus a "Don't Fret" sticker which is a superb idea for complete n00bs like me! No idea if I'll keep it, but for £100ish it's quite fun so far to muck about on.

That's pretty neat actually.  Whats it sound like in drop D :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Needs a Bigsby
  • Is it too late to join in? I've just got one of their 335-a-likes with a view to modding it.
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    Is it too late to join in? I've just got one of their 335-a-likes with a view to modding it.
    It runs until summer sometime, so I would guess you have plenty of time  :)
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).