Anybody play Clarinet?

What's Hot

I don't know why but I've always fancied playing jazz clarinet, and they come up cheap oftentimes in cash converters et al. Does anybody here play one, and are they hard to get to grips with?

I have a pretty good musical ear and play jazz a lot on piano, so thinking it might be quite a cool little side project at some point. I did used to play the recorder when I was very young, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

Cheers

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I play oboe, fairly similar instrument although oboe is a double reed instrument = more difficult embouchure. Realistically you are looking at a couple of years of basic exercises, major scale stuff to be able to have the stamina to play a piece with any degree of skill, like any other instrument though. Go for it. Get a teacher.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    My daughter seems pretty good at it after about 6 months and it makes a lovely sound.

Seems a bit of a faff putting it together and taking it apart tbh.
    All practice and no theory
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    My eldest son played it to about Grade 4. We probably have a clarinet and all the books gathering dust somewhere. I think the fingering for the sax is supposed to be easier, the clarinet is one of those things were creating the notes seem to be shapes you have to memorise rather than an obvious system.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687

Hmm right I see, how interesting. Well I can't even look at a saxophone for fear of the horrid noise they make, so even if the Clarinet is harder it would be much more preferable. Strange though as you say that the notes are just remembering where to put your fingers rather than being logical, might prove difficult. I wouldn't be getting a teacher (I know I know) so really would just be messing about with it trying to sound a bit jazzy.

Thanks guys

Well, that's as I remember it as told to me by an adolescent boy! I'll have a look see what we've got as beginners books.
    Sounds good, cheers. I do realise this announces publically announces that I like jazz :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    I played clarinet and sax right through school. Sax is easier on the mouth, and easier for the fingers (lower register has same fingerings as high register as one of the keys is essentially an "octave up" button). The Clarinet has different fingerings for upper and lower registers, so takes a fair bit more learning. A bit like transferring between guitar tunings, but on one instrument- it's just something you get used to, and tbh if you haven't already played recorder/sax/flute then it may not bother you so much anyway :)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782

I wouldn't be getting a teacher (I know I know) so really would just be messing about with it trying to sound a bit jazzy.

Thanks guys

Sorry but no, it will just make it harder for you. 
    Jazz is an approach that can be taught and it is. It is easier and quicker if you are shown rather than trying to figure it out yourself.
    It is still pretty hard.

People often say 'yes but the old jazz players didn't take lessons' which simply isn't true.
    They studied their asses off and they played for hours a night with better players than they were- that is how you learn, by being pushed.

First learn the major and minor scales in all keys, then the modes. Then start applying it to jazz standards.
    Whilst you are doing all this you can work on your embouchure.

edited April 2015
    Thanks everyone, appreciate the inputs! Have had a good "reed" through

I know lessons would be best but I enjoy making it harder and enjoy it more for it, ive done the same with guitar, lap steel, mandolin and violin, but granted yes they are all quite similar visual instruments. Wind would be different, but having done enough piano lessons to last a lifetime i know the need to learn scales, i think my ear will do the rest as it did when i learnt jazz piano after doing 12 years of heavy classical
    Found Look Listen and Learn which covers basic technique and fingerings, the cd seems to have got lost but that doesn't matter much. A few other things too. You are welcome to have it.
    Ooh excellent thank you, that's very kind of you. I shall give you a shout if I do manage to get one! Cheers my friend
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    bumping this, been thinking about taking up the clarinet for a while now as well, so was wondering if OP made any progress? I don't normally do new years resolutions, but had a good autumn business wise and have some money put aside, so was gonna hire a clarinet and get some lessons (and have managed to find 2 teachers only a few miles from me, which is remarkable in its own right bearing in mind where I live)

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• I made no progress with even getting one let alone learning it, much as I do with most things really. But would be very interested to see how you get on with it especially if you have lessons as I wouldn't have done that (for better or worse)
    I'm not confident yet of getting on with one, certainly not enough to risk a lot of money, but I figure 3 months of hire and lessons won't be too expensive, and I'll know after that. I think my main concern is that all the instruments I play are kinda the same; guitar, violin and mandolin, and they kinda play the same. Woodwind seems totally alien to my "musical" DNA.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    I play clarinet for a living (and guitar too, but principally clarinet and sax). 

The fingering system is reasonably logical, it's not just random shapes, but each register has its own issues. And as has been mentioned above, the lowest register (due to the harmonics of the instrument) is a 5th below the middle register. This causes some confusion at first and happens because the instrument "overblows" a twelfth, rather than an octave like so many of the other wood wind instruments, due to it having a straight, rather than conical bore and due to one end being "sealed". 

It can be confusing but it does have logic and the two registers have the same fingering (very similar to recorder and saxophone) in principle, but obviously sound in different keys. The upper, or altissimo register is a little more random, at least it's a whole new set of fingerings. 

I would recommend a teacher at first, just until you manage the basics, at least. I've been playing woodwind since I was a child, so it makes total sense to me but it is a pretty steep learning curve and bad habits will stick really fast if you don't have some help overcoming the initial hurdles. 

Other than that, go for it. If you need advice then PM me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    will do merlin, thanks

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    VimFuego said:
    will do merlin, thanks
    I just realised that I posted that for the OP, but please feel free too! I wouldn't want any potential clarinettists left out!  ;)
    ah, well as I didn't know that, I just assumed it was aimed at me as well/generally.