Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Q1:  Where did you username come from? This one's my name ;) - was 'thebeagle' over at 'the other place', can't be arsed explaining why.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Birmingham, West Midlands.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To make a living out of it, although I'd settle for being able to do my day-job part-time and travel around with it a bit. Again.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Fuuucccckkkk...right now, my Gordon Smith GS1. Although in 'save-from-a-fire'-ness, I'd probably burn to death deciding between that and my home-brew Esquire.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Right now, it'd definitely be a Gaslight Anthem number, maybe '45. Changes day by day though. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Megii;5130" said:
    Hi folks! Having been invited by stickyfiddle over on the guitars.co.uk forum, I thought I'd better join up here, it looks like a great place.
    Welcome!! :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Wotcha @Megii;5130"

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• MistergMisterg Frets: 293
    edited August 2013

OK, another middle aged perpetual beginner here...

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

There were several people with the same christian name in my group of friends, so we got called by our 2nd initial - I was Mr. G. and have used it since the internets began (nearly)

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

North Wales

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

To be able to play loudly and raucously, but competently enough that other people would enjoy it too

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

Probably my Agile AL3000 (but I'm flirting with Firebirds now).

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Depends what mood I'm in! How about: Dance Called America - Runrig (Once in a Lifetime live album) ..erm or Slackjaw Jezebel - Gov't Mule (Live in  Chicago) cos that one might be easier to find...

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    A1: I must have thinking about valve amps when I joined MusicRadar.

A2: Cardiff, originally from Ynys Môn, but I've chased jobs round the country from Edinburgh to Herts.

A3: Currently, it's to pull off a live performance of me and my friend's studio project (never intended to play live!) if the gig we've been tentatively offered at the Sŵn Festival in October comes off. 

A4: Right now it's my Loar LH-200. I have better and nicer guitars but there's something about this that makes me pick it up to play every day.

A5: I change my mind about this every time I'm asked (or think about it), but This Charming Man comes up more often than anything else because of that riff.
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 390
    edited August 2013
    Q1:username Taken from my trusty old 73 & 76 fender bandmaster amps Q2:where from Biggin hill Q3:musical ambition To start learning the trombone without being shouted at by the mrs and kids. ( it is feckin loud!) Q4: best bit of gear A tough call, but I reckon it's gotta be my national m1 tricone Q5: #1 track ever Tough tough question that, but I suppose right now it's a shit kickin' tune by lynyrd skynyrd, you got that right
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Great to see new faces!
    My V key is broken
  • Another ageing returnee to the guitar earlier this year.

Just a combination of my perceived IQ and how old I feel now when I wake up each morning

Midway between Limoges and Poitiers

To play better this week than I did last week

Totally modded 1971 Harmony Stratotone Jupiter

It seems to be a different one each day, today's vote goes to John Martyn's version of Glory Box. Tomorrow, who knows?

At home in the French backwaters
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited August 2013
    Welcome to  theFB  you all, bienvenu @john87300. :)
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Many years ago, the PA crew I used to work with had many Andy's, a couple of Ian's and Pete's and one Jon. The crew decided that my name needed expanding to Jonny B so as to be sure which one was meant. Occasionally it was Mr B. On arriving at Intermusic many years ago, jonnyb had already been taken, so with amazing lack of imagination I became jonnybradford

Bradford

To invent a new genre of music. I was thinking of folk-prog but i suspect it already exists. 

Noel Redding signature Jazz bass

there are too many and they change too often depending on mood

In jazz, no one can hear you scream
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited August 2013
    holnrew said:
    Great to see new faces!

I'm pretty sure you missed an "e" out of that last word Russ... <:-P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    DONT start him off  FFS

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    @jonnybradford check out Gentle Giant for some folk prog...and Jethro Tull of course
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Q1: I make lasers for a living. Q2: Rural Bedfordshire. Just far away from the cesspit that is Bedford to a: escape it's influence and b: ensure poor broadband speeds. Q3: for me and the mrs to complete our first album. Other musical projects keep getting in the way! Q4: probably my '62 AVRI thin-skin Jazzmaster. Q5 probably Pandora by Cocteau Twins.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:
    DONT start him off  FFS

As I'd hoped, he'd started before I even joined on here! There's even tags for it already! :)
    edited August 2013

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Cowardice and fence-sitting on the netiquette policy of using one’s real name online. Them’s my initials, them is. The D is for Dominic, which was already taken on the Intermusic forum when I joined (pre-MusicRadar), or I’d’ve had just that. I thought it was kind of important to use the same username here, as I’d been around for a while.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? As my location states, I’m in the capital of the Hofftoberfest. I’ve lived over here in Tschermeny since 00 (was an honorary Franknfurter then Berliner [jam doughnut] for a few years each before hitting the Bier jackpot and moving to the city everyone seems to come to on holiday), and am increasingly unlikely to return to my birthplace in the NE of Blighty, the not-really-mighty Darlington.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To play great lead guitar live and on recordings. Flashy, exciting, groovy, funky, speedy, shreddy, melodic, erotically enticing. (Think Nuno Bettencourt) Obviously, that’s only any good if I can move people with it, I need to be loved. Perhaps I should have picked a different genre to achieve that these days, but the electric guitar moves me, so I hope I can make it move others.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Has to be my amp: a Diezel Herbert. Even if I’m wondering about going to an Axe FX to make volume and transport more manageable. And I hope that soon I can make my best bit of gear a really great guitar to play – I’ve been trying to decide on what to play for the last ten years, even when I’ve had the cash I’ve not known what to get and have made do with stop-gap instruments, hoping time would bring me the answer. Right now I think the answer is a Suhr.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track? For the sake of having an answer, I’ll go with He-Man Woman Hater by Extreme. I’ve been trying to play that riff (with the sextuplets and squealies) for over twenty years[1], and am coming to the conclusion that only Nuno can make it sound right – but haven’t given up yet. For years in my teens my #1 track was For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica, but I think I damaged it by trying to cover it with my first bands.

[1] Initially on a nylon-strung classical guitar, I really had no idea, did I?! I thought the pinch harmonics in the riff were generated by the fretless bass guitar Pat Badger was credited with playing.

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    DLM said:

Q5:  Your #1 ever track? For the sake of having an answer, I’ll go with He-Man Woman Hater by Extreme. I’ve been trying to play that riff (with the sextuplets and squealies) for over twenty years[1], and am coming to the conclusion that only Nuno can make it sound right – but haven’t given up yet.

How about the intro, with the delay? :)
  • john87300;5958" said:
    Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?It seems to be a different one each day, today's vote goes to John Martyn's version of Glory Box. Tomorrow, who knows?
    You have excellent taste Sir!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited August 2013
    DLM said:

I’ve been trying to play that riff (with the sextuplets and squealies) for over twenty years.... For years in my teens...

@DLM Ah, I now feel really daft because for some reason, I have no idea why, I somehow assumed you were early to mid- twenties!

Ooops! 

But it's really weird now because I can't get my my head around the fact that you must be older.

Hey ho. 
    ~O)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254

Was to replace the lazy, crappy, previous moniker -> Stevieb76. No great thinking behind it, just nice, positive, uplifting etc.

From Liverpool, reside in Glasgow.

To be less shit than I am now. Maybe get back to a bit of gigging one day. Doubtful it will be anytime soon.

Pretty happy with everything, so could easy pick a few. But probably my pine Telecaster. Sounds amazing! Pine is seriously underrated, yet to find another tele to match. But tomorrow could be the day, as another chunk of (this time very old) pine is arriving: http://www.tfoa.eu/the_store/index.php?target=products&product_id=37628   :-bd

Too hard. For today I will say Down by The River, Neil Young. Just for the guitar madness. Always quite like watching this version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxs0ybnsEQ  Not the tightest performance you will ever see, probably too stoned to do any better, but what I would give to have been stood there watching that in 1969. :)>-

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom