Sweet home alabama

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    HAL9000 said:
    Yes but the F and the Eb are just chromatic links to the F# and the E so don't really count when you're thinking about scales.
    Most things can be defined as passing notes if they don't fit with the scale you have in mind, and you don't try to resolve a phrase to them.  Danny's GM pentatonic approach adds a Bb.  My point is that, as long as you resolve to G, almost any scale will do.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Rox said:
    Guitar theory really goes over my head... but what I can't figure out is... why does it matter?  (It's an honest question)

mainly because it affects the way you play - note choices, phrasing, that sort of thing.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    We do a mash up of sha and the kid rock song - it's fairly common for the singer to shout solo at random moments in the set and I usually noodle away in Em thinking the song is in G  (I lean towards minor scales but emphasise chord notes if that makes sense so I'm probably just playing in G really)    Next time I'll experiment with D. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23942
    As a bassist I can confirm I don't care.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    G according to my tab book
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    viz said:
    Rox said:
    Guitar theory really goes over my head... but what I can't figure out is... why does it matter?  (It's an honest question)

mainly because it affects the way you play - note choices, phrasing, that sort of thing.
    I'm missing something here; if it's a cover, then you play it how they did, surely?

Honestly I'm not being awkward!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    It's clearly in G.

The main chords are D major, C major, G major. The only key containing those chords is G.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Doesn't matter a jot. The chords are what they are and the solo's are where they are.

If it sounds right yer doing it right. If it doesn't, someone will lob a bottle at you. It's one of those tracks you have little 'fuck around with' movement with really. As soon as you open it, the punters expect 'that song'.

We end in G.

Rox said:
    viz said:
    Rox said:

I'm missing something here; if it's a cover, then you play it how they did, surely?

Honestly I'm not being awkward!
    Some tracks you can get away with murder, as long as the rhythm parts are tight, the lead has free reign, especially if it's in the second/crowd beered up set   :)    Handy   ;)

Don't fuck about with Alabama tho.  One of the many reasons I've said "absolutely not" to Freebird!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    jd0272 said:

Don't fuck about with Alabama tho.  One of the many reasons I've said "absolutely not" to Freebird!

When I was 17 (a long, long time ago), my first real band covered Freebird. It was acceptable to cover that back in the 70s as it was Stairway.  Fast forward to 2006, and my then band had a debate about putting Freebird, and Stairway back in the set.

We looked at playing Wynonna Judd's version of Freebird, and Frank Zappa's cover of stairway. We had the brass players for Stairway, but it was going to involve a lot of people on stage for one song. In the end we thought better of it. 

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    G. Thats why the solos are Em blues.
  • It's in D
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    jd0272;647361" said:

I disagree. I never play someone else's solo note for note. I will however use some of the signature licks to get the right general feel.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    It's in D

Or is it G?
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited May 2015
    FFS 
     ITS 
      IN 
       G
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    yep it's in G :)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I don't care what scale and patterns people want to use in the solos. That's not how you define a key. If it was in D there would be C#s all over the thing. But what's the second chord? C. Just regular C. So it's in G. 

FWIW I don't mind if it resolves to D for a "rocknroll finish", but that doesn't mean it's in D. 90% of the song is a V-IV-I progression.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited March 2016
    To me, even more than the C natural (which could still work in a D mixolydian song, and after all, the 3 chords are just moveable shapes) is the phrasing.

Anyhoo, it's ALL in the interpretation, and therefore you can convey it in either key. I think we can all be clear it's got absolutely nothing to do with which chord it starts on - nobody thinks New Rose is in D or Beethoven's 5th is Eb major! :)

In the past I've always played it in D - that is, with our dynamics and fills, we've made it lead towards the D, so every bar sounds like I ----- bVII ----- IV --- (bVII) I. And the final chord, the I chord, has been the D.

Having listened to the live versions I hear clearly that LS has orchestrated it to be in G, ie it's V IV I I; V IV I I. The repeated phrase comes out at you every bar. Particularly reinforced by the way the bass is played, and obviously by the timing of the lyrics, and how that I chord is rather 'settled' - there's less happening on the I than there is on the other chords so it sounds more home-like.

But I maintain it can nevertheless be played in D; when we've played it, we've still been accelerating through the G, in order to land on the D, and there are many parts of the song that support D, such has the birmingham hoohoohoos, and the start of the solo.

I guess the question is, is it in G or D?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Sure, but D mixolydian isn't a key, it's a scale. With the notes of G major in it....
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited March 2016
    Absolutely 100% agree with you that G Ionian has the same notes as G mixo, but that doesn't explain what note the tonal centre is. The tonal centre in this case isn't defined by the key sig but by the rhythm and phrasing; if you are simply presented with the letters D C G G, then both are possible. You need to hear how it is played before you can answer. There are many other 1 b7 4 4 songs, which are definitely not V IV I I songs (Back in Black :) ). And of course it's perfectly possible to have a piece played entirely with flat 7s, and in classical notation a D mixo song could be written with 2 sharps in the key sig and every C would have a natural (or yes it could also be written with 1 sharp. Both are allowed).
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    So, if no solo being played, what key would song be played in ? Bearing in minds chords used are G C D and F ?