It's in THIS key.  Mods, please close the thread,

:P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    D because it's a I  IV in D.
    Theoretically either way is fine.
    Aurally - NO.
    How can you hear it in G?
    How can it be a I IV in D when there are only 3 chords in the groove and you've missed out the middle one? The C chord also doesn't sound like out of key or like an accidental, as surely it would in D?
    (I'm just being a bit contrary to try and get our thread as long as that epic TGP one, lol)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure if serious but I've already given my explanations in previous posts. The C chord is not important.
  • Rox said:
    I've had enough. 

Why should they close this thread?
    There's a good debate going on.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited June 2015
    Rox said:
    I've had enough. 

Why should they close this thread?
    There's a good debate going on.

How obvious does it need to be that my post is a joke?  There's a picture of a Lynryd Skynryd door KEY and a :p smiley for goodness sake.  Chill dude...!
  • Sorry dude :) Music theory is serious bizniz ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Yes, it's key.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

You can see in this thread how religion starts, every now and then one person has such an unshakable faith in his belief that eventually it makes others start to doubt themselves ...... maybe it is in D after all!

:)  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited June 2015
    lol - I can play it in Em or A Dorian but it's in G! ;-)

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    daveww said:
    lol - I can play it in Em or A Dorian but it's in G! ;-)

I can't play it at all, so that solves the problem for me....
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Has anyone's opinion actually been changed as a result of this discussion?
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Not really. I couldn't give a shit before and I still don't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    me neither - just messing  :)
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    @GuyBoden I hear them thus: 
    1 = G 
    2= G 
    3= E 
    4= C 

When you take three chords and vamp them, it'll usually be the first chord that defines the tonal centre of the vamp. 
    It matters not that those chords may be from another key.
    Yes, I think your analysis is a good system, the problem I find is that some people learn a bit of Functional Harmony with cadences and resolving ii-V-Is etc and think every song has to be analysed using Functional harmony, when it just can't and especially in some Pop/Rock music. 
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • GuyBoden said:
    Yes, I think your analysis is a good system, the problem I find is that some people learn a bit of Functional Harmony with cadences and resolving ii-V-Is etc and think every song has to be analysed using Functional harmony, when it just can't and especially in some Pop/Rock music. 

It's not really like I even have a system. I just use my ears. There's no way in hell I'd ever say a vamp is in any key other than the first chord of the progression, as this is how vamps tend to work.

SHA is a vamp, for the most part. It's also a song I detest.

I mean seriously, would you guys honestly say this:

Me: "wanna jam"
    You: "yea, ok"
    Me: "cool. Let's jam in D...." 
    # I begin playing some form of D C G grrove.

You: "wait, wait, wait. This isn't D man! You said we were gonna play in D. This is clearly in G..."

;)

Has anyone's opinion actually been changed as a result of this discussion?

Yes, mine! I have always played it in D before, but on hearing their live versions, I can see they play it in G. I think it sounds better in D however, so I will continue playing it in D despite my change of view.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.

• viz said:

Yes, mine! I have always played it in D before, but on hearing their live versions, I can see they play it in G. I think it sounds better in D however, so I will continue playing it in D despite my change of view.
    Viz, I'm properly confused now.
    Those live versions are no different to the recorded version, except they finish on a G at the end. (which does not make the song in G as already discussed)

edited June 2015
    But that's not the only thing different about them. I know I keep banging on about this but it's all in the phrasing throughout the song. I can clearly hear the difference. The lighter studio version accelerates away from the G in a much more effective way, to land on the D on most bars. It's unthinkable that the studio version would resolve to a G. It wouldn't make sense (yes I know the last note is not the be all and end all, but you get the picture). Whereas both those live versions, even without knowing the final note, clearly point to a G. Just listen to the backing vocals. Listen to the piano noodling and the unimaginative bass playing, and they way the drums don't create fills that have movement at the end of each 4-bar section. It's much more static. It's much more resolving on the end of the 4th bar, rather than the beginning of the next. The phrasing is less subtle. It's like The Exploited's Sex and Violence. It's in G. (Imo)
    (By the way, a subtle though important nuance - although the final chord doesn't necessarily prove the key, it does probably prove what THEY THINK the key is, right?)
  • MatthewShredderyMatthewShreddery Frets: 861
    edited June 2015
    I have listened to them and nothing changes :)
    It's just SHA, but live.

What I can't get my head around is how you suddenly think it's in a different key to what you've always heard/played, as if something significant has changed. :)

Lots of smilies to let everyone know I'm actually a nice, happy kind of guy, who isn;t getting wound up at all, but is starting to wonder if he's going crazy, or if this is some sort of parallel universe where music works differently to the real world.