Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• longilongi Frets: 95
    Looks stunning! I hope it sounds as good as it looks. I have the money but not the will, plus my wife would string me up if I turned up with it and told her how much it cost!  I've got too much stuff as it is, and it's all about PA systems for me at the moment.

I think I'll pick one up second hand in about four years when it's about £200!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited June 2015
    longi said:
    Looks stunning! I hope it sounds as good as it looks. I have the money but not the will, plus my wife would string me up if I turned up with it and told her how much it cost!  I've got too much stuff as it is, and it's all about PA systems for me at the moment.

I think I'll pick one up second hand in about four years when it's about £200!

You can use the rest of the money to buy your wife some trousers.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It only sounds expensive because it's line 6.

If strymon released something that cost people would wet themselves anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534

The presentation, just watched on my iPad, is also ground breaking. Stunning all round, BUT will this translate to £1400 ??? Wowzer, thats a LOT of corn...

Na, you've spent more on a delay pedal I'm sure.
    The thing with the AxeFX for me isn't about the sound it's that using it feels like work not play.
    The interface here does look pretty amazing. Fractal caught all these boys like Line6 napping with regards to sound and user functionality, but this could well have just caught Fractal napping on the user experience front.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Looks great! A really sensible choice on features, it's almost like line6 have actually listened to what players want. It is expensive, but I'm sure that within a year they'll be under 1k new. The rack version will definitely be of interest for me, although it'll force the prices lower on the current hdx range so they suddenly become a lot more tempting!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    That really does look outstanding. If they're been working on this for four years then this is probably all Line 6 DNA, and not much input from Yamaha.

Cool web site too.
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    The more I read about this thing the more excited I get. I hate the term "game changer" but think it's appropriate here. I can see me building a rig around this. Being able to incorporate pedals in the 4 loops and place them anywhere in the chain is brilliant. Amp channel change control and I just read there is a model of an OCD that has a parameter to go between V2 and V4! Looks like they may have thought about everything and what they haven't can be done via a firmware update. 

The only sticky bit for people will be the amp models but I have heard a lot of people say they are using IR's with the HD amp models and say they sound incredible. As good as Kemper. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    edited June 2015
    That really does look outstanding. If they're been working on this for four years then this is probably all Line 6 DNA, and not much input from Yamaha.

Cool web site too.
    Dude only said he'd been working on it for 4 years - he didn't say he'd been working on it for 4 years while working for Line6 ;)

With that said, yeah...I imagine it is all Line6's development (hence the recent products going back a generation in terms of modelling code), but they were running out of money to build the thing. That's where Yamaha's manufacturing base comes in, and it's probably what's responsible for the price too. Proper engineering, not designed-for-home-players engineering.
    <space for hire>
    I'm seriously considering the floor based unit.
    It depends on how good it sounds and how well it does 4 cable method.

The dynamic labelling thing looks brilliant.
    I hope the text is clear enough on stage.
    octatonic said:
    Same here, although it also depends on whether my shoulder gets fixed and I can play live again. If it genuinely is next-gen stuff and sounds appropriately good, I might even be tempted to gig with just this straight into the PA. That's my holy grail, because it might enable me to gig properly even if my shoulder's unfixable.
    <space for hire>
    octatonic said:
    Same here, although it also depends on whether my shoulder gets fixed and I can play live again. If it genuinely is next-gen stuff and sounds appropriately good, I might even be tempted to gig with just this straight into the PA. That's my holy grail, because it might enable me to gig properly even if my shoulder's unfixable.
    I'd like to be able to have the choice of using my CAA or this direct to the PA.
    It needs to be able to globally defeat amp/cab sims to do this and will need to be implemented so that the levels in the other modules work properly in either solution.

If this works then you could, in theory, use one set of presets for both scenarios.

How is the shoulder at the moment, mate?
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited June 2015
    While I won't argue that the helix UI looks easier already the Axe FX 2 isn't difficult to use, the screen just doesn't look pretty and just because there are deep editing options you can scroll through (depending on type of block you may or may not want to do this). I would have preferred a larger screen but the current one is functional.

It is hard to make complex things less complex without removing choice, so it will be interesting to see how they've balanced it on the Helix.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    With that said, yeah...I imagine it is all Line6's development (hence the recent products going back a generation in terms of modelling code), but they were running out of money to build the thing. That's where Yamaha's manufacturing base comes in, and it's probably what's responsible for the price too. Proper engineering, not designed-for-home-players engineering.
    Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking 

Great product mostly developed, but don't have the cash required to do the kind of massive launch it deserves.

I'm really wondering how Roland are going to respond. A "GT-1000" with much improved amp modelling would be awesome.
    octatonic said:

How is the shoulder at the moment, mate?
    Not great, especially after a comedy of errors on Wednesday (extremely long story, which I can't even face typing up).

Getting a bit nervous - we've got what is potentially our last gig (ironically, our first gig in London) in a few weeks, and I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to manage it :(
    <space for hire>
    edited June 2015

I'm really wondering how Roland are going to respond. A "GT-1000" with much improved amp modelling would be awesome.
    I doubt that'll come to pass - from everything I've seen, it's vastly easier to be "a modelling company also doing effects" than it is to be "an effects company also doing modelling".

EDIT: I personally love the idea that this might've been a skunkworks project - somebody who thought along the same lines as we all have and said, "C'mon, guys, we've crippled every multi unit we've ever done with bad planning and broken functions...I know we can do it right" and then just did it.
    <space for hire>
  • jgmoutonjgmouton Frets: 30
    Too expensive for what it is.  Should cost $800.  L6 must make a huuuuge profit margin.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    jgmouton said:
    Too expensive for what it is.  Should cost $800.  L6 must make a huuuuge profit margin.
    I presume you can share the bill of materials with us then?

If Fractal, Kemper or Digidesign had come out with this exact product, I'd be willing to bet nobody would be saying "Too expensive for what it is".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Agree, and remember this looks like a flagship and is priced accordingly, with ll the R&D that involves.

I'm looking forward to the lesser models which will hopefully bounce off this, as I don't personally need 4 amps at once and a lot of the other functionality, but do want an easy to use, great sounding modeller to play about with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    jgmouton said:
    Totally disagree. 

If Fractal had released the exact same product people would be calling it a bargain.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom