Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    dindude said:
    Agree, and remember this looks like a flagship and is priced accordingly, with ll the R&D that involves.

I'm looking forward to the lesser models which will hopefully bounce off this, as I don't personally need 4 amps at once and a lot of the other functionality, but do want an easy to use, great sounding modeller to play about with.
    Precisely - when you've spent 4 years developing a product, you've already lost millions. This probably has rather more expensive components than your average top-of-the-range smartphone, added to which there's the software development overhead of modelling amps and effects down to the component level...it's pretty easy to see where they've racked up the costs IMO.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Did you see that there are 4 pages of parameters for the effects... At least the harmony delay looks like it does with those dots indicating page numbers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Given how much guitarists are willing to pay for bits of wood with wire strung across them and amplifiers labelled "boutique" built like 1950s mass produced televisions I think the price of a big piece of technology like this seems perfectly reasonable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    Did you see that there are 4 pages of parameters for the effects... At least the harmony delay looks like it does with those dots indicating page numbers.
    Yep. Not limited to 4 either, I'd imagine.

I do wonder what sort of options you have with the signal chain compared with the outputs - for example, could you take an output before the cab model (or impulse) for your on-stage amp, and then one at the end of the signal chain for direct-to-PA?

Not that it'd matter anyway if I was going to get one, because I'd primarily be after it for a shoulder-saving lightweight rig - my guitar, this and an active monitor and I'm done.
    <space for hire>
  • Think I'm in... I've been through about 3 variations on the pod thing and tbh, deep down a part of me loves line6!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    I'm very interested in this. It looks to be what I've been wanting to get for years.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    I'm very interested in this. It looks to be what I've been wanting to get for years.
    Me too.

I'm sure something subtle will be broken in a way that makes it unusable, but it's the first multi which seems to do everything I want.
  • xtroublextrouble Frets: 84
    Looks great, love the labels and colour coding. Bloody shiny toys ! 

Hopefully they've spent some of the CPU cycles on seamless patch switching and trails. If they've done that... then it should really really kick ass.
    And if the amp modelling sounded good, I'd probably sell my Kemper to get this, tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And a regular kettle lead for the power... they've really taken all of our past criticisms on board it looks like! I might be getting ready for a Line 6 love-in !!
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Rack version and footswitch:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    I'd be quite tempted to get the rack and foot controller. 

I don't fancy getting a pint dumped over a grands worth of FX processor. 

I also really like that the rack and floorboard is the same price as the integrated unit.

EDIT:  I can't read
    Drew_fx said:
    Hopefully they've spent some of the CPU cycles on seamless patch switching and trails. If they've done that... then it should really really kick ass.
    Dual DSPs...you'd think they've got the multiple-signal-path thing sorted at least, so you'd be able to morph between signal chains with the expression pedal like Clarky does with the Axe FX II.

I'd be shocked if they hadn't got trails, though. That's such an obvious thing for a flagship product that they'd need to hang their heads in shame if it couldn't do it.
    <space for hire>

I also really like that the rack and floorboard is the same price as the integrated unit.
    It's not - the rack is the same price as the floor unit, the controller is $499 extra.
    <space for hire>
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Pretty sure I read it had trails. Almost a basic requirement now but certainly at that price. 

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited June 2015
    I don't see why this shouldn't sound comparable to the AFX. The processing power is there, the knowledge is there. Its just a matter of not fucking it up.
    Drew_fx said:
    Yep. Not limited to 4 either, I'd imagine.

I do wonder what sort of options you have with the signal chain compared with the outputs - for example, could you take an output before the cab model (or impulse) for your on-stage amp, and then one at the end of the signal chain for direct-to-PA?

According to the line 6 rep yes.

My guess is that those arrows at the right side of the screen indicate outputs and you just route the chain to those and set what they are.

Apparantly there is no more "cab mode/studio mode" nonsense either, you just route accordingly.

Drew_fx said:

No patch changing with trails they say.
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Don't follow but I haven't had much coffee yet! Does that mean no trails between presets?
    tFB Trader

It's not - the rack is the same price as the floor unit, the controller is $499 extra.
    Doh, reading fail.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528

Don't follow but I haven't had much coffee yet! Does that mean no trails between presets?
    Yeah they say they might impliment it in future but I'm not holding my breath as far as line 6 future support goes.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom