The Damned

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
edited December 2018 in Music
The Damned are playing their 40th anniversary gig at The Royal Albert Hall on Friday 20th May 2016. I've just got my front standing ticket. 3 hour set of every Damned song ever recorded. Bucket list stuff for me. Pre-sale link for those interested:
https://qxdtfhl.royalalberthall.com/tickets/the-damned/default.aspx
@viz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    The Damned at the Royal Albert Hall.

Something just doesn't feel right about that.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    PS - yes, I am/was a fan, bought the original Stiff-released singles & LPs back in the day ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671
    only up to Machine Gun Etiquette, I lost touch with them after that.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 494
    yes

which isn't something i get to say on here very often :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    TTony said:
    The Damned at the Royal Albert Hall.

Something just doesn't feel right about that.

I've seen them at some right seedy little holes over the years so it feels very strange to me. Its to mark the occasion though isn't it? 40 years since New Rose, home turf etc.I think they deserve a shot. 5000 capacity and my ticket is no.692 (if indeed they're selling in chronological order) with tickets not on official sale until 0900 tomorrow.
    Paul_C said:
    only up to Machine Gun Etiquette, I lost touch with them after that.

You need to give Strawberries and The Black Album a listen. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by So who's paranoid too (2008 release).
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    They played New Rose on radio 2 on Sunday and I'd forgotten how great that was. And then I remembered how bloody awful they were when I saw them live ( Coventry Poly circa 1990). So, it's in the balance for me... :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    They played New Rose on radio 2 on Sunday and I'd forgotten how great that was. And then I remembered how bloody awful they were when I saw them live ( Coventry Poly circa 1990). So, it's in the balance for me... :o3

No Sensible then, Eric! They're extremely tight nowadays too.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    Machine Gun Etiquette is a great album.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

It certainly is. Funny how Antipope used to be my least favourite (when I was 12), now I'm 45 its the stand out song for me.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    Love them and thanks for the heads up about the gig. My favourite period of theirs was black album onwards. Curtain Call is one of my chill out tracks, weirdly. Phantasmagoria is my favourite album and Strawberries is great too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You're welcome, I cant wait for it. Seen them maybe 20 times (first time was Newcastle City Hall in 1986). Curtain call is excellent, when I'm in the mood I'll listen to the whole lot too. And I love Phantasmagoria too, even if it was a dodgy fashion period. Street of dreams, Eighth day and There'll come a day are my faves. Jugg's guitar sounded well on it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    Not really a fan myself, but saw them live at a festival a few years ago, in Cornbury, and they were the most fun and entertaining act of the whole festival, despite technical issues and so on.  They enjoyed it, and so did the audience, and it didn't feel like some over rehearsed, flawless performance.  By contrast, I saw Peter Green live at the same festival, and there was no joy in that at all sadly.
    I was gutted I couldn't go to Cornbury at the time @richh. I was working and couldn't get out of it. My daughter went which made it even worse! It's really near to me too. Glad they performed for the crowd.
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    The keyboard completely failed, but nobody cared, it was a totally anarchic atmosphere.  You didn't miss anything from a musical standpoint, but as far a comedy and high jinx it was priceless.  Just made you feel that too many of the other acts were maybe taking themselves a bit too seriously?  Strangely the Cornbury Festival is at a completely different venue now, but still called Cornbury...
    Monty Oxymoron on keys. I've had some chats with him. He's a lovely guy. I didn't know about the relocation. It was in Charlbury last time I checked.
    Well. Standing sold out. Stalls sold out. Boxes sold out. There's only circle and gallery tickets left. Glad I got my standing when I did!
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    edited June 2015
    I got notification about it but decided not to go in the end - I was hovering on collect for 5 mins trying to decide but in the end I just think I've moved on and am happy with the memories, so it's a no :( I regret it already. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Ah, I'd have bought you a pint viz. Never mind.
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    edited June 2015
    Damn damn damn. That would have been neat neat neat.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom