Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• BlazeHelmBlazeHelm Frets: 20
    It looks great. Screen and interface look very nice indeed. Hopefully the HX modelling will sort the distortion effects! But I'm more excited to see what comes in Q1 2016 when the cheaper version us mere mortals can afford comes out. And I remain to be convinced of the need for such a big screen. Yes, it looks nice, but why can't I programme it via my tablet?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    BlazeHelm;668192" said:

And I remain to be convinced of the need for such a big screen. Yes, it looks nice, but why can't I programme it via my tablet?
    Fair point, but that then means you need a few hundred quid for a tablet on top of the device. Plus they will have to pay programmers to launch it for Android, Apple etc...

I spose if they want to play in the big leagues then it should be an option like the h9.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    edited June 2015
    Most people aren't going to want to spend $1500 on a device that becomes significantly harder or even impossible to use when Apple bring out a new version of the iPad, thats why. 

People are already worried about obsolescence of expensive digital effects, without also relying on some other company to continue to support it via their expensive digital gadget. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    While external device support is welcome - it's a double edged sword, you're relying on another company contuining support. Best to leave it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    I think the point here is that they've designed the UI to be as easy to use as possible - that's why they invested in the proper screen. Because of that, you don't need to have external device support.

If they've engaged their brains, it'll also be a class-compliant audio device, so it can be used as an external interface for Android 5+ (and iOS, if Apple ever decide to get with the programme).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlazeHelmBlazeHelm Frets: 20
    It's just my opinion. I personally dislike sitting cross legged on the floor trying to program effects. I'd rather program it from an external device, be it a laptop, IPad, android tablet etc. if they built this technology into it, it'd negate the need for an expensive colour screen, and the risk of someone stepping on it. Might make it a bit cheaper for the rest of us. They could, if minded, build in a web server, then it'd be device independent ... Best of both worlds?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    BlazeHelm said:
    It's just my opinion. I personally dislike sitting cross legged on the floor trying to program effects. I'd rather program it from an external device, be it a laptop, IPad, android tablet etc. if they built this technology into it, it'd negate the need for an expensive colour screen, and the risk of someone stepping on it. Might make it a bit cheaper for the rest of us. They could, if minded, build in a web server, then it'd be device independent ... Best of both worlds?
    But you can stand up with this one. Scroll through the parameters and set them with the expression pedal. No sitting. No cross legged annoyance.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528

What HX amp models are included?

WhoWatt 100, Soup Pro, Stone Age 185, Tweed Blues Nrm, Tweed Blues Brt, US Small Tweed, US Deluxe Nrm, US Deluxe Vib, US Double Nrm, US Double Vib, Mail Order Twin, Divided Duo, Interstate Zed, Jazz Rivet 120, Essex A-15, Essex A-30, A-30 Fawn Nrm, A-30 Fawn Brt, Mandarin 80, Brit J-45 Nrm, Brit J-45 Brt, Brit Plexi Nrm, Brit Plexi Brt, Brit Plexi Jump, Brit P-75 Nrm, Brit P-75 Brt, Brit J-800, German Mahadeva, German Ubersonic, Cali Rectifire, ANGL Meteor, Solo Lead Clean, Solo Lead Crunch, Solo Lead OD, PV Panama, Line 6 Elektrik, Line 6 Doom, Line 6 Epic, Tuck n' Go, SV Beast Nrm, SV Beast Brt, Cali Bass, Cali 400 Ch1, Cali 400 Ch2, G Cougar 800

• hugbot;668462" said:
    What HX amp models are included?WhoWatt 100, Soup Pro, Stone Age 185, Tweed Blues Nrm, Tweed Blues Brt, US Small Tweed, US Deluxe Nrm, US Deluxe Vib, US Double Nrm, US Double Vib, Mail Order Twin, Divided Duo, Interstate Zed, Jazz Rivet 120, Essex A-15, Essex A-30, A-30 Fawn Nrm, A-30 Fawn Brt, Mandarin 80, Brit J-45 Nrm, Brit J-45 Brt, Brit Plexi Nrm, Brit Plexi Brt, Brit Plexi Jump, Brit P-75 Nrm, Brit P-75 Brt, Brit J-800, German Mahadeva, German Ubersonic, Cali Rectifire, ANGL Meteor, Solo Lead Clean, Solo Lead Crunch, Solo Lead OD, PV Panama, Line 6 Elektrik, Line 6 Doom, Line 6 Epic, Tuck n' Go, SV Beast Nrm, SV Beast Brt, Cali Bass, Cali 400 Ch1, Cali 400 Ch2, G Cougar 800 
    If only a quarter of those are good and evenly distributed, it still has enough clean, gritty, crunch and heavy tones for most folk.

And hopefully the modelling is top notch. If it competes with fractal and axe FX, even if it's not *quite* as good, the ease of use and impressive amount of routing options make this a great bit of kit.

It's probably the most excited I've been about a piece of gear since wudtone made finishing easy. Though I won't be able to afford one, I'm hoping this will lead to a revamp of the old delay and multi modulation pedals like the dl-4. Lose amp modelling but make them reliable and, if anything, improve sound quality from the old (which were already great) and you've got a winning line.
    Tbh, in video shoot outs I've seen and based on my own experience, the *amp* modelling on the HD500 keeps up with Fractal and Kemper. It was the cab modelling that let it down.

Also this...

1. Yes, the 4 cable method works great. The nice thing is that it's really easy to set it up with the Helix. You don't have to mess around with setting levels to compensate for anything, and there was no noise. It just works.

From Phil_m again... looks like I'll be finding the money for one of these!
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    edited June 2015
    Yes I've found the actual amp modelling on the HD500 very good when using a real cab or into third party impulses. Using the pre models into the return of a valve amp is very good.

hugbot said:

What HX amp models are included?

WhoWatt 100, Soup Pro, Stone Age 185, Tweed Blues Nrm, Tweed Blues Brt, US Small Tweed, US Deluxe Nrm, US Deluxe Vib, US Double Nrm, US Double Vib, Mail Order Twin, Divided Duo, Interstate Zed, Jazz Rivet 120, Essex A-15, Essex A-30, A-30 Fawn Nrm, A-30 Fawn Brt, Mandarin 80, Brit J-45 Nrm, Brit J-45 Brt, Brit Plexi Nrm, Brit Plexi Brt, Brit Plexi Jump, Brit P-75 Nrm, Brit P-75 Brt, Brit J-800, German Mahadeva, German Ubersonic, Cali Rectifire, ANGL Meteor, Solo Lead Clean, Solo Lead Crunch, Solo Lead OD, PV Panama, Line 6 Elektrik, Line 6 Doom, Line 6 Epic, Tuck n' Go, SV Beast Nrm, SV Beast Brt, Cali Bass, Cali 400 Ch1, Cali 400 Ch2, G Cougar 800

Ah yes, the SLO models. That'll be the acid test for me...

I've found that a lot of the modellers only really fall down on the cab modelling, to be honest. Even the old Zoom G9.2tt sounded damn good through a really decent cab emulator...in fact, as I recall the Behringer V-Amp Pro did, too.
    <space for hire>
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    This DOES tickle my fancy.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Gassage said:
    This DOES tickle my fancy.
    There's an endorsement if ever one was needed!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to use the line out into a valve amp from my pod studio ux2. Sounded fab! The fizz was cab emulation.
    Spillover? Preset Lag/Dropout? Scenes for preset within preset changes? Crossfade between signal paths? A/B signal paths?

Not at launch. Still optimizing. Not at launch. Yes. Yes.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Drew_fx said:
    Spillover? Preset Lag/Dropout? Scenes for preset within preset changes? Crossfade between signal paths? A/B signal paths?

Not at launch. Still optimizing. Not at launch. Yes. Yes.
    At least not at launch is not a no. I get the feeling sales won't be quite as strong until the "not at launch" bits are sorted. 
    I can live with lack of spillover easier than I can live with gaps of silence or lagginess between preset changes.
    Just as a rough guess...given that the US list price of the HD500X is $599 and the average price on the street in the UK is £361, it follows that the UK street price of the Helix would be around the £900 mark.

That puts it at a bit more expensive than a G-System and a bit less expensive than a Kemper.
    <space for hire>
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Just as a rough guess...given that the US list price of the HD500X is $599 and the average price on the street in the UK is £361, it follows that the UK street price of the Helix would be around the £900 mark.
    If that's the case, I shall be shuffling some gear around sooner than I thought.  :-O

I was working on the assumption it would be the usual stupid $1=£1 we get from US companies.  If not and they manage to sneak it in under a grand over here, assuming there are no glaring cockups which we're not yet aware of, I'd be nuts not to buy one, as it really does look like the modelling solution I've been waiting for for years.

Plus it looks purty. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --