Oily Towers: the latest from Oil City pickups

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
edited June 2015 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Just completing a major site overhaul ... with tons more stuff and options available at a click :-)  it's been an uphill grind, but the new Jaguar and Jazzmaster pickups will be up ... as well as a revamped humbucker range, with more bobbin colour/cover options, and some long awaited 7 and 8 string variants!. My upgrade shop will be coming on line shortly too, with push-back cloth wire, braided two conductor wire and a very special range of close tolerance CTS pots. More stuff like CTS/CRL switches and Switchmaster jack sockets will be added soon. I aim for a one stop shop for your upgrades, including capacitors, and eventually complete harnesses.  
I will be making spare screws, springs, cushions and odds and sods for pickup replacement available at a click too. 

I want to make it your shop too ... so any ideas (sensible please) would be great. I have considered pre-wired Strat 'plates' with SSS or HSS options. 

Oh yes ... pickup covers and 'plastic' will be available separately too, so matching everything in to your project will be even easier.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes! Matching plastics and finally sourcing your push back wire. It's so much better than any other push back I've used, I've recently resorted to plastic coated hook up wire because the usual stuff is so annoying!

Great news, I'll get some when I order my tele pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Prewired guards are exactly what I'd like!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    Nooooooooo not plastic coated .... message me ... I can do hookup wire when you like!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    Katie is keen to get stuck in to pre wiring, so 
    Prewired guards are exactly what I'd like!
    Katie is keen to get stuck in to pre wiring, so We'll see what we can do. I have also sourced a range of much cheaper than normal PIO capswhich I may offer. Now I still remain to be convinced of their tone benefits ... but they look very cool and for only a small amount over a 'Sprague' orange drop ... some folks may fancy them ... I was minded to call them SnakeOil City caps ... due to the controversy that surrounds PIO  
    ;-)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MickMick Frets: 98

Ash, your Dealers link on your main menu takes the focus away from your website, you should really make that link open a new browser page, or tab.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Mick said:

Ash, your Dealers link on your main menu takes the focus away from your website, you should really make that link open a new browser page, or tab.

Thanks geezer, but that is all in the site upgrade 
    :-)
     It's not been uploaded, and won't be till it's been properly proof read about a dozen times. There will still be mistakes ... but I make most of the pickups, build the site and make the Oil City coffee, so I am being easy on myself!

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Hi Ash
    Recently acquired a honkey tonk angel , for an esquire build.
    what size capacitor would you recommend to stop it being too bright? 
    Alan
    tFB Trader
    The Angel isn't normally over bright anyway ... the scatter winding sees to that ... I use a .033 .

• TheGuitarWeasel;671594" said:
    Nooooooooo not plastic coated .... message me ... I can do hookup wire when you like!
    I know! It's easier to use than the crappy push back I usually get... And works a treat! It's just, well, uncool. And the insulation sometimes melts, which is smelly.

My strat is wired entirely with cut pieces from the three pickups, lovely stuff!

I'll ping you a message later to buy a metre or three. :)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    How about shielding foil/paint?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    tFB Trader
    BigMonka said:
    How about shielding foil/paint?
    Good suggestion, I'll see what quantities and formats my usual supplier has available.
    :-) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DaveMonDaveMon Frets: 26
    What about selling a pre-bundled upgrade kit, with all the required pots/switch/caps and wire needed to upgrade LP types or strat types?

(or something like a Gibson PCB upgrade kit?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    The Angel isn't normally over bright anyway ... the scatter winding sees to that ... I use a .033 .
    Thanks mate , just getting all of the parts ordered now .
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Re wired pick guards. If they could be made in such a way that they can be easily interchangeable that would be ace. Soldering is not for everyone and if guitars and pickups came with easy plugs I'd own a lot more pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Evilmags said:
    Re wired pick guards. If they could be made in such a way that they can be easily interchangeable that would be ace. Soldering is not for everyone and if guitars and pickups came with easy plugs I'd own a lot more pickups.
    I am looking at that option. It's tough to find mechanically reliable connectors that are available to us in commercially attractive quantities and prices, but if anyone knows of good options and suppliers ... I will take ideas from the floor!

• TheGuitarWeasel;674748" said:
    Evilmags said:

I am looking at that option. It's tough to find mechanically reliable connectors that are available to us in commercially attractive quantities and prices, but if anyone knows of good options and suppliers ... I will take ideas from the floor!
    I know an eternal debate rages on how effective these connectors can be, but @ecc83 has often spoken highly of them, assuming quality. Perhaps he could chip in?

I'd be interested. My soldering *is* okay, and reliable these days, but I'd love to make it quick and easy to swap prepared pick guards (calibre 53s versus stone tones, for example).
    Good news .... our funky clear bobbin look is being offered as an option across the whole range now, along with blue, hot pink, red, red and black zebra and blue and pink! Quantities will be limited at first ... but they look way cool.

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Pre wired guards definitely. Any idea how soon you'd be able to offer that as a services as I'll be in the market for a Strat upgrade fairly soon?
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    How about wiring sets for Telecasters.

They are widely modded and all the bits for 4 way switching, parallel and series wiring might be a hit.

tFB Trader
    Rowby1 said:
    Pre wired guards definitely. Any idea how soon you'd be able to offer that as a services as I'll be in the market for a Strat upgrade fairly soon?
    Hopefully shouldn't be long ...