Oily Towers: the latest from Oil City pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    Right ... the re vamped site is live. Still waiting for some new top line CTS pots in ... but wire for pickup fitting is available now, and lots more pickup variations and types are up. Sprague caps will be in shortly, and coming soon will be some new Paper-in-Oil-City  PIO caps in .022 and .047 ... PIO at sensible prices for those who want the traditional. 
    Clear bobbins are available on all the medium and high output  humbuckers ... as are 'socket' pole and 'hex bolt' pole screws on selected models.  There are bound to be some teething problems with such a radically re jigged site ... so if you spot a snag please shout!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Well, I've spotted a couple of typos/errors.

In the main menu, "Lutiers/makers" should presumably be "Luthiers/makers"
    In the G-Style humbuckers page, the main header says "Wide Range and Brass Knuckle"
    Also, the Cow-T-Ron "standard" seems to be missing, unless this has been discontinued...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    Thanks geezer, I am head cook and bottle washer ... I build the site as well as the pickups ... so eagle eyes are helpful!
    Oh the Cow-T-Ron Standard is undergoing a re design itself ... into a totally conventional looking bucker ... but with that er ... retired Australian rock rhythm guitarist sound. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Dammit, Now I want one of the redesigned Cow T-Ron Standards as well...
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Ash...i have a crazy idea for my jazzmaster...will message you...
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    Hey Ash, you mentioned my superD will be in a photo story, what, when and where?
    tFB Trader
    Pics are in my camera still ... had a mad time ... but on here and soon!

edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    We're excited about these: most push pull pots are crappy mini-pot types ... not very nice, or hard wearing. We now have in stock CTS full size push pulls!  7% tolerance and vintage 30% taper, these will match in beautifully with our 7%/30% standard CTS pots and last a lifetime. We have them in 500k long shaft and medium shaft 250k. Still pricing up the new stock ... but we have CRL 5 way switches, Sprague caps, our own Oil City paper in oil ones ... and of course super quality vintage taper CTS pots in 500k long shaft, and 250k long and short.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

LOVE IT - WOULD YOU HAVE A REVERVE LOG 500K - if so I have money to throw at you! :D

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    tFB Trader
    frankus said:

LOVE IT - WOULD YOU HAVE A REVERVE LOG 500K - if so I have money to throw at you! :D

Reverse or reserve ???

tFB Trader
    A look at a custom pickup pair  that will become a regular line I think: A full size humbucker version of the Oil City Winterizer. A properly made 63 vintage style alnico 5 Firebird pickup ... in a normal bucker cover, so you can get that vintage sound at last with a Firebird Studio, or a Les Paul, or a Flying V ... or whatever!
    Under the hood proper mini bobbins with vertical alnico 5 magnets and a hand cut steel inductor plate , as in the original nestled under the coils.

reverse ... please :)
    tFB Trader
    I will see if my supplier has them ... none on this order ... but I'll try

Thank you very much, sir!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Just got my Heritage back from the luthier. Ash custom wound me a set of pickups for it and it sounds a lot better and jazzier than before. If anyone wants the Duncan 59 that was in the bridge (and which was meant to be a Gibson Burstbucker, Mr Denmark st Luthier) give me a shout.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    A question from a friend of mine. What would you recommend to replicate Tony Iommi sig pickups and can you do the covers without pole pieces?
    tFB Trader
    Elwood said:
    A question from a friend of mine. What would you recommend to replicate Tony Iommi sig pickups and can you do the covers without pole pieces?
    I'd probably use my Blue Streak humbuckers, and I can do nickel 'blind covers (see the first pic at the top of this page) but they come from the US and take two weeks to come in. The pickup would be made 'double slug' on the poles, so it would be a custom job rather than a standard spec.

• Any news on a Tele rails humbuggy set?

Because if there is a high output tele rails humbuggy set on the cards, I'm very interested... Should give me a slightly different flavour to my usual vintage strat sound. ;)
    tFB Trader
    Do you want to test one ? 
    :-)

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited July 2015
    If he doesn't.... As if :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom