Feline Guitars Lion Cub SC & DC thread : WAY COOL JUNIOR*

What's Hot

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Yup and it's just a phone call and deposit payment away :)

So, just hypothetically you understand...

If a chap fancied one of these in a really basic finish (ideally something which would patinate nicely and develop a bit of character without waiting 20 years) and with a proper raunchy, snarly, dogear P90 on it...

How big a deposit and how long would I, errr, I mean he, have to scrape together the balance?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Firstly let me state this is a genuine question - I'm in no way trying to insult or troll anyone here.

With that caveat, my question is: What makes these guitars worth £1500? 

Again, I'm just trying to understand what makes the guitars so special, I've never owned a boutique guitar - the most expensive one I have is a USA strat, so I'm just trying to find out what all that money gets you in such a simple looking design,  i.e. what would/should persuade me to choose Feline over a genuine Gibson.

Cheers :)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    edited July 2015 tFB Trader
    Firstly let me state this is a genuine question - I'm in no way trying to insult or troll anyone here.

With that caveat, my question is: What makes these guitars worth £1500? 

Again, I'm just trying to understand what makes the guitars so special, I've never owned a boutique guitar - the most expensive one I have is a USA strat, so I'm just trying to find out what all that money gets you in such a simple looking design,  i.e. what would/should persuade me to choose Feline over a genuine Gibson.

Cheers :)

there is always a genuine question of perceived cost/value. I have no idea why this presents itself but I'll try and help answer the question as I'm a feline owner myself. A guitar like this is handmade, the hours that go into it are much more than a bog standard Gibson (which can be lovely too). The wood is selected for its lightness, grain, and sonic capabilities. The neck and fretwork is truly phenomenal and definetly a feline strong point. To put it in context if you were to order a custom guitar such as this from Gibson/prs or fender it would be circa £6k due to the attention to detail custom nature etc. The argument goes that you could get a Gibson junior for around £600, that is true but it will be a factory made lump of wood without the passion or attention to detail. Entirely acceptable of course and within those factory produced guitars there will be some astonishing gems due to the combination of wood and parts. I know that Jon cares about his trade, he gives a shit if I like the guitar or not, he will ring me to give a progress update and ultimately I'll end up with a bespoke instrument. The best analogies to compare are a Chinese made joyo pedal vs handmade creations. Both produce noise, but I guarantee yours will be better made. The same goes for a tailored suit vs an off the peg designer brand. I guarantee the tailored suit will fit the owner better. In short. It's bespoke vs generic. When you've gone bespoke it's hard to not yearn for it again.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @thorpy6 - makes sense to me.

I'd better not go bespoke just yet then, sounds like an expensive habit :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

I think these juniors are going to be phenomenal bang for the buck..
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I was so close to ordering one of these but really wanted tv yellow and was struggling for the additional funds for the paint....... Then someone mentioned shugz was selling his JXG DC relic and well the test is history. I'm sure the quality one these will be sublime
    tFB Trader

Oh I don't know, it's not like you'd need anymore guitars than this one. I got to play both of the juniors being made yesterday. Hand on heart I have NEVER played a more resonant versatile guitar. They both sound incredible and the sounds you can get from one pickup is outrageous. I'm now in a lot of trouble with the wife as I put a deposit on one of these two. Cannot wait to get it though!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    Whilst one of the DC Cubs is off to be painted we went about doing an oil finish with a cherry stain underneath.
    I think it's actually as much work as having the thing paint finished
    We went for the colour of the faded 58 and 59 Gibson ones that we'd had in 
    Coming along nicely though.........which will please @thorpy6

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitars;759036" said:
    Whilst one of the DC Cubs is off to be painted we went about doing an oil finish with a cherry stain underneath.I think it's actually as much work as having the thing paint finishedWe went for the colour of the faded 58 and 59 Gibson ones that we'd had in Coming along nicely though.........which will please @thorpy6
    That's an oil finish?! It's so glossy!
    tFB Trader
    Whilst one of the DC Cubs is off to be painted we went about doing an oil finish with a cherry stain underneath.
    I think it's actually as much work as having the thing paint finished
    We went for the colour of the faded 58 and 59 Gibson ones that we'd had in 
    Coming along nicely though.........which will please @thorpy6

Jon, I'm salivating!! Looks stunning and the wood is so nicely figured!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thorpy6 said:

It looks like sapele so should be nice and lightweight.
    tFB Trader
    Honduran mahogany but the stripes are shapeless like.

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    thorpy6 said:

It looks like sapele so should be nice and lightweight.
    Just like other mahoganies - Sapele can vary from reasonably light to very heavy.  But I generally find it to be one of the heavier mahoganies
    edited September 2015 tFB Trader
    Here is Mr Thorpe's guitar with a red stain and danish oil finish.
    Pickup is a Bare Knucklepickups Nantucket, the bridge is a Graphtech Resomax and the tuners are Sperzel
    Weight is 7lbs 1 oz
    Neck is a nice full 58/9 profile

Pics are just phone pics - better ones to follow

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely......great Jr vibe.  Really like the look of that stop/tail/bridge.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    The oil finish gives a real stripped-down, ready to rock vibe.  I like it.
  • Tasty. What colour is the other one going to be?
    tFB Trader
    More of a traditional Gibson cherry red - a bit more vivid looking

tFB Trader
    A better shot of the @thorpyfx Lion Cub DC

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    A better shot of the @thorpyfx Lion Cub DC

yep, that'll do it!! :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom