Oily Towers: the latest from Oil City pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• TheGuitarWeasel;693650" said:
    Do you want to test one ? :-)
    :o

Errr

Let me think

Yes! My thinline has had the finish stripped back off, I'm going at it from scratch. I decided that I have my vintage tones from my strat and jazzmaster, so I want a high output, crunchy non trem guitar.

I'll pm you dude.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    edited July 2015
    Hi Ash, just looking at the site - is the Californian a Strat-sounding pickup for Tele neck?

If it is I'd be interested to pair it with a DiMarzio Chopper T - but I see you are working on a Tele rails pickup - any idea what the voicing of that is planned to be?

Cheers
    Tim
    Red ones are better. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    The Tele rails will initially be moderate in power ... but I do have a higher output planned
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FezFez Frets: 499
    I can't find the Hardman on the website have you stopped doing them?
    Don't touch that dial.
    tFB Trader
    Tele HardMan? Should be there
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    ohh tele rails! :)
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    Hey Ash.

What would you suggest as a hot neck single coil to balance a BKP Nailbomb. I'm looking for something that will clean up well and stay tight with gain. Currently got a Dimarzio Chopper which is a bit base heavy and wooly under gain & doesn't balance will with the bridge.

The neck is a direct mount at a slight angle so I think F spacing would be there way to go.
    tFB Trader
    My StoneTone neck pickup would do the job very well. Think 'hot Hendrix' rather than mush.

Cool, I'm thinking of putting a bridge pickup in the neck for the extra umpf. How much of a difference is there between the bridge and neck versions?
    tFB Trader
    Neck is about 8k bridge 10k with a baseplate, so much more strident bass and mids. 

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

Dear mr Guitar Weasel,

Just got the Custom Ash Scott Lockyear Custom Shop "Ravens" in the Jaden Rose.  I am now completely at a loss as to why anybody would stick Tone Zone / Air Norton in a guitar. While the ones you did for the Archtop are very very good (As in Jason Lollar good and cheaper) these really do stand out from any shred/high gain oriented pickups I have ever played or owned. The first thing that struck me when I tested them was the cleans (cos that was what I tried first). In bucking form they actually had dynamics rather than the over compressed sound the Dimarzios had. Even better, you could actually hear the acoustic sound of the guitar for the first time. (Its a very resonant guitar and sounds sweet acoustically, and deader with the Dimarzios. More over the Air Norton was too tall to adjust properly leading to too much boom and no clarity on the neck pickup). No it sounds very swet and musical clean. These pickups also tap extraordinarily well and you could easily take this guitar to a bluesfest, plug it into a Gassage level rig and not sound out of place next to Lesters and Strats.

So then I put it under some heavy distortion. Tight as fuck but still very musical would best describe them. The DiMarzios did distortion fairly well, but nothing like this well. A good guitar is now a really top rate guitar and a total keeper.

So if anyone is looking for a top of the line shreddy/fusion/modern pickup that sounds really nice clean yet handles crushing amounts of gain then I´d take a look at these. They absolutely blow the Dimarzios out of the water, both at the job the DiMarzios were designed to do and also do cleans a lot better than many low out put pickups.

@Jaden_Rose Id recommend auditioning a set of these in one of your lovely guitars. Ash engineered the neck pickup to fit the cavity better and they really bring the best out in the guitar.

So thanks a lot Ash, top job.

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Ash
    Lots of nice P/ups coming out these days, have not looked at the website for a while and was surprised there is not yet a decent Filtertron sized Filtertron as a UK alternative to TV jones or upgrade from fidelitrons.

I only ask as I have a cabronita to put together some time and was looking at pickup ideas, I did think of rerouting it for Cowtrons but I liked the whole idea of something I would not normally play. 

thanks Jez
    Evilmags said:

Just got the Custom Ash Scott Lockyear Custom Shop "Ravens" in the Jaden Rose. 

Which Jaden Rose have you got - any chance of pics?

It now has  coil split toggle between the volume and tone knobs. And just because Ash likes seeing his pickups in nice guitars.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Heritage with ASLs and a new bridge

edited July 2015 tFB Trader
    Ash
    Lots of nice P/ups coming out these days, have not looked at the website for a while and was surprised there is not yet a decent Filtertron sized Filtertron as a UK alternative to TV jones or upgrade from fidelitrons.

I only ask as I have a cabronita to put together some time and was looking at pickup ideas, I did think of rerouting it for Cowtrons but I liked the whole idea of something I would not normally play. 

thanks Jez
    The simple answer with the Filtertron question is 'covers'. TV Jones has an official and exclusive deal with Fender/Gretsch for the supply of Filtertron covers and baseplates. The only other source of proper sized covers is in the US ... but hugely pricey. Would anybody buy a UK built Filtertron style unit if it was more expensive than a US one? Even if it was better engineered? 

Ash if I go to Stratocaster High output on the website it takes me to the Stone tone Tapped pick up but doesn't list the Hardman. Am I looking in the wrong place?
    Don't touch that dial.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    Hardman is tele pickup?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

tFB Trader
    There was a HardMan Strat unit, but the new, hotter StoneTone is virtually identical ... so no point in having both.

OK that explains it.
    Don't touch that dial.