Oil City pickups in US Vintage Guitar Magazine

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9988
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
My good old Oil Blitz spirit humbuckers will be featured (among other industry leading PAF type pickups) in the October edition of the US Vintage Guitar magazine. We are giving away a pair to subscribers, and the mag will feature our first US glossy advertising
 :-)
We have been selling more and more in the US, so thought it was about time we were formally introduced! The issue featuring the 'PAF Party' will be made available free in e form, so any of you who want to check out an interesting mag for nowt ... heads up! it features a lot more than just the usual vintage suspects ... there have been interesting features on 'superstrats', pedal shootouts, pointy metal guitars ... and all sorts.
Worth a look ... as I say ... for nowt 
;-)
Ash and the 'Oily Team'
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    Congratulations! It's excellent to see your hard work paying off.

Any idea when the October edition will be available?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    Congrats Mr Ash.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Excellent news. Fingers crossed for a British Invasion type thing. 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    Well done they're great pickups.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • rprrpr Frets: 308
    Very cool-you could put up a link when it appears...
    Have you considered sending a couple of Doug and Pat- they're always keen to promote small pickup builders both sides of the pond.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    Nice one fella!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9988
    tFB Trader
    Elwood said:
    Congratulations! It's excellent to see your hard work paying off.

Any idea when the October edition will be available?

I think it ships physically at the end of August ... but I will keep you all posted. We are excited as so often we see Brit makers losing out to the US equivalents for little more reason than the kudos of a 'US made' label. Well we have some of the very finest and most innovative winders in the world based here, and it's about time we flew the flag proudly the other side of the pond. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    sweet !  nice one mate
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

tFB Trader
    Jaden said:
    sweet !  nice one mate
    Gotta show em some real Brit quality haven't we
    ;-)

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Nice one go team OCP
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Well done!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

But how do the pickup covers match those on a 58 Les Paul? This seems to be something playing on the minds of our cork sniffing oriented brethren. (Some "journalist" in Guitarist even goes on about this FFS).

Nice one. Oil City are the best value out there IMHO.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Evilmags said:

But how do the pickup covers match those on a 58 Les Paul? This seems to be something playing on the minds of our cork sniffing oriented brethren. (Some "journalist" in Guitarist even goes on about this FFS).

The authenticity kick is total bollocks in my opinion ... if the pickup sounds right ... who gives a stuff?

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Evilmags said:

The authenticity kick is total bollocks in my opinion ... if the pickup sounds right ... who gives a stuff?
    Somebody seems to. Not me, that's for sure. Trainspotting at its worst. The Les Paul Forum suffers from it amongst other places. Who notices anyway? I like to go to gigs to enjoy myself, not dissect the performance, equipment and pout of the guitar player.
    edited July 2015 tFB Trader
    There are no 'right' features for a PAF ... from one week to another Gibson used different magnets, varied the wind pattern due to crap, aging machinery, and grabbed whatever was in the parts bin to keep the orders flowing out the door. 
    Today we are able to produce more consistent, higher quality pickups, with more variety, and totally tailored to the players wants. I will happily nail my colours to the mast, and say that some pickup manufacturers simply pedal bullshit to a gullible public. Butyrate bobbins and the 'right' shape cover don't make a pickup worth £300 a set. It's wire and a couple of magnets guys ... get real.
    You can quote me
    :-)
    That'll put a truck load of cats among a Trafalgar Square of pigeons
    ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Congratulations, really great look to that advert. I hope you get traction, you deserve to.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    thorpy6 said:
    Congratulations, really great look to that advert. I hope you get traction, you deserve to.
    I hear fabulous things about your pedals ... Jonathan and I talk lol 

• xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    edited July 2015
    I'm one of several guilty parties who has written about pickup cover shapes in the pages of UK guitar mags in the past. For me, it's simple: I just prefer the look of original PAF covers and accurate visual replicas thereof. It's purely an aesthetic preference; to me, the 'right' covers look classier in a vintage-style instrument. The difference is subtle (http://www.skatterbranepickups.com/f-a-q/standard_humbucker_covers/) but having a preference either way whilst acknowledging that it makes a negligible difference is perfectly acceptable, no?
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    And... @TheGuitarWeasel please drop me a line if you fancy some press on this side of the pond
    edited July 2015 tFB Trader
    chrisv said: I'm one of several guilty parties who has written about pickup cover shapes in the pages of UK guitar mags in the past. For me, it's simple: I just prefer the look of original PAF covers and accurate visual replicas thereof. It's purely an aesthetic preference; to me, the 'right' covers look classier in a vintage-style instrument. The difference is subtle (http://www.skatterbranepickups.com/f-a-q/standard_humbucker_covers/) but having a preference either way whilst acknowledging that it makes a negligible difference is perfectly acceptable, no?

I find difficulty in justifying features on a pickup that ridiculously inflate the price but make
    not just negligible difference to the sound ... but none at all. People are of course free to chose the covers they want for their pickups ... and I am happy to supply uncovered units so that those for whom it matters can fit what they like. My pickups are suited to those who want to play their instruments rather than boast about the labels or the shape of their cover.  

As a repairman starting in the seventies, I have handled more 'genuine' PAFs than most, and I love the characteristic sound that goes with some examples (some were crap and in my opinion justifiably binned) but there is so much mystique woven, and bollocks talked about this one design that I think it is about time pickup makers started telling it like it is ... rather than like how they (for their profit margins) and some of the buying public would like it to be. 

Press is always good ;-)