Oil City restoration of pre CBS Jaguar pickup

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
In early 1965 Leo Fender sold his company to CBS ... and we all know both the legend of pre CBS quality, and post CBS cost cutting.
Well here is a prime example of a pre CBS Fender pickup. A 1964 Jaguar bridge unit. Sadly this one has died and has come to us for a rewind ... but we get useful insights from it's construction ... and it will live again!

This may be quite a long photo-story, so please be patient :-) 

Here you can see clearly the unusual magnet stagger, and the famous 'claw' designed to both shield, and boost the pickup's inductance.

Removing the cover from a 51 year old pickup is a delicate business ... you are never quite sure what you will find. The poles were heavily corroded from the sweat of hundreds of gigs ... and that doesn't usually bode well.

The claw is a push fit ... which is one of the reasons Jags tend to squeal at high volumes ... so when this beauty is re built, the claw will be potted onto the bottom flat-work to cope with modern stage volumes.

Claw gently removed ... and there is the proof of this pickups pedigree ... a child of the spring of 64 

Cover off and the dog can see the rabbit. Yuck! Smells like moldy Camembert and though difficult to see in the pic, has bits of the PVA winding wire insulation flaking off in several areas. Fairly easy to see what killed this old timer! 

To be continued ........
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Awesome love these threads I'd tune in every week to read one of these.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    ^^ What he said. I love this sort of thing.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    interesting the winding looks like the early Japanese windings.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7142
    I like this. Mine are the earlier non-staggered. I'm too simple to understand the difference.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    edited July 2015 tFB Trader
    Part two 
    :-)

Wiyh the bobbin cleaned up and de-greased using the gentle heat of a shrink tube gun it was lacquered ... to prevent the inner windings shorting against the magnets if the insulation fails at the core at any stage ... and to keep any corrosion in check. This is an operation Fender often missed out, and has killed many an old pickup.

The wound bobbin mounted in 'Tweedledee' one of our two manual or CNC winding machines. These make the whole process much easier ... as even on manual scatter winding they are much smoother than 'Gloria' my old self built machine. They will also crank well over 1000 rpm if needed! But not for a vintage wind! Note the fibre gasket to make the bottom of the pickup sit level. Jag pickup magnets project about 1mm from the back of the flatwork.

The wire used is period correct 42awg 'plain enamel' wire with it's characteristic brown PVA coating. It is not the easiest stuff in the world to work with! Because of it's colour it is damn near invisible on anything but a white background, and so threading the eyelets and sorting the wire feed is a total git. It's also quite pricey! As a matter of interest, not all 'brown wire' known as 'plain enamel' is in fact 'PVA' ... all single coated wire nowadays is generally referred to as plain enamel, and it is available in brown to order! That is in fact brown coloured 'poly' coated wire. We use proper PVA from the US ... There is nothing at all wrong with 'poly'or 'polysol' as some call it ... but in 1964 Fender didn't use it. And we are being sticklers here.

All wound ... and looking neat and tidy. PVA coated wire is not easy to solder ... it needs a hot iron and a calm temperament.
    The coil start hookup wire was absolutely knackered, so we replaced that with a length of new, period correct black pushback wire ... then used some of our super-secret 'gumph' to rub on and simulate 50 years of gigging.

nice and filthy. 
    The coil finish hookup is a nice red, that I don't have in stock ... but luckily was in good nick, so after a bit of TLC it was re soldered to its eyelet. The pickup is a tad hotter than stock ... the original neck unit being 6.2k ... I wound to 6.4k ... to balance the newly wound bridge a bit better.

This is where I depart from Fender's way of doing things. In 1964 the pickup would have been lacquer dipped, left to dry, then have its cover and claw loose fitted ... the mounting screws and foam cushion keeping the whole lot together when the guitar was assembled. This often leads to awful microphonics and squeal from the claw ...  and indeed somebody had done a bit of a ham-fisted job of trying to pot the pickup in wax in later life.  
    The way I do it is to pot the claw onto the pickup base firmly, before cleaning up, and fitting the cover last. This requires a small jig to keep the claw lined up in the bath.

A little blue double sided tape on the bottom of the bobbin keeps the whole thing together while the jig is fitted, and the earth wire soldered.

And there she is ... potted, cover fitted snugly, and ready to do another 51 years of gigs! I love working on classic kit ... it puts me close to those fabulous rock and roll years, when everything was new and exciting ...

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Amazing work.
    tFB Trader
    Very labour intensive ... and very low profit, but I love doing it ... and the experience feeds back into my own designs and 'replicas'. I carry several types of vintage spec  wire that are seldom used ... apart from on 'oldies'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Great thread. Thanks for posting
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • FaCowFaCow Frets: 40
    awesome!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Really interesting, great pics too. Thanks for posting.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Very interesting and a fantastic result.

Enjoyed that.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    That's superb mate, expertly done!

Do me next!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    tFB Trader
    Here is the pickup back in it's guitar:

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for posting that Jonathan, it's cool to see all ones hard work come together in a finished job.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    tFB Trader
    Customer has now collected it and is looking forward to actually hearing the guitar properly 
    Previous techs had said the pickup was WEAK - none sadly spotted that it was actually DEAD

Thanks for getting it lovingly rewound - the customer enjoyed seeing the thread once I sent him the link

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• tbmtbm Frets: 578
    Fantastic and interesting work Ash.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.