sweep picking

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    One thing that I've done to help my sweeping, that's not about the technique, is picking a chord progression that isn't particularly classical in its vibe.

An example is the chorus to Marina and the Diamonds 'Are you Satisfied'. The keyboards behind this section are arpeggiating, so I decided to learn how to play them, with normally played chords in-between.
    • So for example, behind the lyrics 'Are You Satisfied' I play the chords. I then immediately play a swept C major chord starting on the 12th fret E string.
    • I then play some chords and play a swept G major chord starting on the 14th fret A string, (basically this is the normal G major shape that misses out out the G on the E string and starts on the B note on the A string)
    • From memory, I then play some chords and tap an A minor arpeggio using the A and G strings
    • Then its back to some chords and the G major sweep with a tap for the highest note.

Not sure if that makes sense, but to play this along with a song that'snot just about sweep picking makes it more fun for me. I can't do a recording at the moment since my PC is knackered, but hopefully it adds something to your choice of practice routine.

As others have said, its about starting slow and getting the shapes into your muscle memory.

- this all starts at 42 secs

- this instrumental shows the arpeggios that I copy, its just that on the original the synth is playing 3 per line whereas I just play the 3rd one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I have tried learning the string part of the Clean Bandit - Jess Glynne song "No Place I'd Rather Be". I've noticed I sweep downwards a lot better than upwards.

I downloaded Transcribe earlier in the week. I've been unlocking the secrets of the greats that have eluded me for ages. Last night I was trying to sus out the sweep in Vai's "Blue Powder". Don't know why he doesn't use his sweeping more, it sounds great with the descending scale after it.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Wow @Vibetronic! Dem sweeps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • edited August 2015
    Just been reading this and I supply stylus picks if any of you are interested, they're really great practice tools, better suited to alternate picking really rather than sweeping but saw them mentioned earlier in the thread, you can get them here
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p_jay78p_jay78 Frets: 182
    edited July 2018
    Just to add, assuming nobody already has, don't sweep...string skip. Its way easier and seems to work for Paul Gilbert! Its much easier to pull off live as well. 

Just my 6 eggs!