Stiffness?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @Catthan

@ChrisMusic

Hey thanks guys, some very good info there. It sounds like you both have had some issues. Mine is not troublesome, but just something slight that I've noticed.

I think I know what is responsible for the discomfort I had, early Saturday I was doing a bit of fixing/DIY and I had to get a couple of nails into a hard to reach place, so I was leaning and stretching with a Bradawl and obviously pressing and twisting quite hard to create a start for the nails to be hammered in.

I can only put it down to that. At the time though it didn't register as the discomfort came a bit later in the day. I wouldn't have thought a bit of exertion like that could have been that bad, but I must have been a one off.

It might still signify a slight problem though as there is the other occasions(although rare) to consider. I can't remember my activities before those few episodes, maybe I was doing something more strenuous at work those times, IDK.

It could even be down to a mattress that doesn't quite suit my posture or anything etc.

It might be worth a mention but while I am on the Computer, I tend to rest both arms on a hard desk top, I tend to get uncomfortable with that and that might not be good for your muscles/nerves/circulation etc.

I'm trying to analyse everything I do now. lol.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33713
    octatonic said:   Not sure if you know but the ergonomics of guitar playing is very much 'my thing'- I've had a lot of problems myself and studying lutherie with the specific intention of building ergonomic guitars, which is also my dissertation & I'm hoping to write a book on the topic ...  ...  ...

Firstly, I wish you all the best with your MA @octatonicgood challenge and a very worthwhile avenue for exploration.I guess it will score pretty high in the self fulfilment stakes too.

I just wanted to ask you what the current wisdom is, and for your personal opinions are, on the basic ergonomics of guitar playing.
    What is actually good practice, and what sort of things are likely to give problems further down the line?
    Sitting / standing, strap length, neck relation to body etc etc.

I never could understand the idea of posing with a guitar around your knees, and I certainly couldn't play like that without all sorts of issues.  It worked for Slash's image so maybe it was just me?.  I am taking that as an extreme example.  :)

The same goes for practice and avoiding RSI etc, what would you advise.   Over to you.... 

(edit to try to sort formatting)
    Hi mate, 

Sorry but I don't really have time to outline everything that is involved- it is a big topic, I'm writing 10k words in the first instance and then maybe another 10k further down the line.

I can try to write some bullet points at some stage but not right at this moment if that is ok.
  • No worries,    but if you are ok with it at some point that would be fantastic.

Everyone here contributes freely, if and when they have time to spare, and want to be involved, so there is honestly no pressure at all.

I think we are all grateful for the advice and opinions that are shared.  Sometimes life gets in the way though.

I appreciate that you are busy, work, MA etc, so as and when would be great, if you want to that is, at whatever level.  There really is no pressure.  :)

Regards, Chris