Whats New Pussycat - Feline Guitars Updates thread.

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
edited August 2013 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Inspired by Jaden Rose's recent update thread I thought I would follow suit 
This will be good for all my random little updates rather than big ideas that need their own separate topic

A Quick introduction for those that may not know of Feline Guitars
We are an established Guitar repair and upgrade centre that also makes it's own line of high custom guitars
A lot of guys on here will have had work doen and will probably(hopefully) be happy to give a thumbs up.
A few will also own guitars we have built.

I've been building and repairing guitars since 1987.
I studied at London College of Furniture in their Musical Instrument department, and have carried on learning every day since . 
I owe a lot to my mentor Dan Erlewine , who wrote  regularly for Guitar Player magazine and now works with Stewmac.com.
I also owe to guys I have worked for/with like Neil Macdonald, Charlie Chandler and to luthier friends like my best mate Doug who established Blackmachine Guitars, and not forgetting some of the great guys who have worked for me as well, whose insights and skills have helped raise my own game.

Previously I worked in a number of guitar workshops and guitar factories before going full time with my own business
Also had a couple of "proper jobs" (as an ex girlfriend liked to call them) in between :)

Whilst I decided upon using the name Feline Guitars and the choice to use cats eyes as 12th fret markers as early as 1988, the first guitars to be made using that branding didn't emerge till 1992/3 
We have just built our 20th anniversary range of Lion Models based on all of my personal experience of what makes for a great LP Custom type guitar.
Here is the prototype just prior to be completed:

Whilst there is a huge amount of history we could pour over and many interesting stories (many of which I may share over time)  we will probably start off with what is happening in the here and now and other things will emerge now and then.

Currently our activities are keeping us nice and busy 
We are as ever doing lots of repairs and upgrades
We are building a number of custom built guitars for customers
We are in the final stages of getting the 20th anniversary guitars completed.(12 will be made for the public - 6 of which are already sold, plus the one I made for myself)

This year we have also intensified the collaborative work we do with Blackmachine Guitars on the B6 model.
Many will know of this enigmatic company set up by one of my best friends of 20+ years :  Doug

We have always had some involvement with the making of the B6 model via our team members, but I am taking a much more active participation in the completion and sale of these beauties this year to help Doug out.

Here is one of the first batch of 8 that we made this year - more in the works as we speak

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    edited August 2022 tFB Trader
    I have just this week been working on a new Blackmachine B6 for my own use

It's a slightly quirky version of the Blackmachine B6 that I make with Doug.
    It is both a throwback to things we did together in the past and a chance to test a few things out for myself.

This project will enable me to test out the new Graph Tech Ratio Tuners and get to grips with the Scahller Hannes bridge too, which I haven't had the opportunity to fit yet.

The pickups are a Bare Knuckle Pickups Cold Sweat Set.
    The colour choice is a throwback to a Pink/blue zebra Seymour Duncan Custom pickup that Doug from Blackmachine and I used to trade back and forth in the early 1990s.

Was funny when Doug (Blackmachine) saw the coloured pickups that I had chosen to use - his eyes lit up and he cracked up laughing - knowing full well the reasons for the choice

The body has a fascia of Rippled ash (which is fairly uncommon) on a back of swamp ash
    Hasn't been set-up or fret dressed yet but it already plays like a monster

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great thread, keep it coming.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@FelineGuitars ; I'm liking the B6 model very much...

Damn you for tempting me when I ain't got the Gascash......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Arrrggghhh.. I was about to say that I needed to pop over and see you soon, I'm having a bit of an issue with the tuning stability on the 'Bunny' and I was thinking about getting a new plate done for the Tyler. But frankly, I don't know if I dare set foot in Feline HQ for fear of what you might happen if you put that Blackmachine in my hands. As it is I've been leaving it until I was sure the FatCat had gone !
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866
    Wow like that rock machine above :)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280

I just love those Lion guitars! They look amazing 'in the flesh'.

edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    Just took some photos of a strat we put back together after the customer had the body and pickguard custom painted.
    Thought it looked rather good - certainly Sims have made a nice tidy job of the paintjob - really seamless!

imageimage

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Wow!

That Sims paint job is staggering. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    very cool! have you  a chance to look at an Evertune bridge yet, seems like a brilliant invention to me

tFB Trader
    Not yet but heard interesting things about them

• Sims have done a great job on that paintjob...but....honestly....its hideous. Sorry. I'm sure the guy that asked for it is very happy! 

Loving the blackmachine stuff though! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Sims have done a great job on that paintjob...but....honestly....its hideous. Sorry. I'm sure the guy that asked for it is very happy! 

Loving the blackmachine stuff though! 

Don't assume it's a guy, I think this was finished for Geri Halliwell.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    Yes - Graham and I have worked closely together for nearly 20 years now and have maintained a good working relationship and friendship. 
    Working with Graham has allowed me to run a busy town centre repair workshop and build guitars when otherwise I might not have been able to manage that commercially and juggle all the pieces.

Graham also does some work for other people as well as building a few under his own Swallow/GSP name.
    He has been very active on UKGB in order to share much of what he knows as he will eventually retire and wanted his hard earned knowledge to benefit others.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342

Moved this discussion into our new "UK Showcase" section.

Plenty more space to showcase plenty more guitars (please!) Mr Feline ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited August 2022 tFB Trader
    Just completed a tele style guitar - calling it our Tabby Special model 
    Featuring an alder body - with strat style contours
    the neck is a 3 piece quarter sawn maple neck with a maple fingerboard
    25.5" scale length with Dunlop 6000 frets 
    Inlays are Paua abalone and we finished the body  finished in a colour to compliment the inlays
    The headstock leans back giving a decent break angle over the Earvana nut

Sperzel tuners and a wilkinson designed Gotoh bridge with twistable saddles take care of the string anhoring
    Electronics wise we have a Bare Knuckle Boss at the bridge position and a TV Jones Magnatron  unit at the neck position.
    We had some special tele control plates made with a Gibson toggle switch in place of the blade switch

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014 tFB Trader
    Finally got the Entwhistle Spider Bass completed today.
    OMG - she's a monster tone-wise.

My Colleague seen playing it here:(more pics to follow)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    edited July 2014
    Your holding out on us Jonathan!

Some of my favourates - anyone here own a Feline?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited July 2014
    Finally got the Entwhistle Spider Bass completed today.
    OMG - she's a monster tone-wise.

My Colleague seen playing it here:(more pics to follow)

That's enough to make me want to take up bass
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Oooh, behind the rather nice bass, a Pagan Altar tee... I remember seeing them down the Ruskin and thinking they'd be bigger than Iron Maiden.  Some might say that was a wrong call and I'd have no career in A&R, but there's still time you know...
    tFB Trader
    Yes - Diccon who is behind the bass was in Pagan Altar playing bass from 2007-10