I've just measured my resting heart rate...

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23941
    TimmyO said:
    You can have a low/normal here rate and scary blood pressure.

Speaking as someone who lost most of the sight in one eye due to untreated (un known) high blood pressure I'd recommend all us middle-aged or older blokes to get it checked.

Ironically my sight loss probably saved my life (by triggering health checks which found my BP at 220-something over 140-something)

fretmeister - buy a kettlebell - best most compact cardio workout there is - easy to do at home
    I'll have a look at that, thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Diets don't work, but lifestyle changes do. there's no point doing something drastically different like the Atkins, or the 5:2, or (insert any diet) if it doesn't become your new permanent lifestyle. You will just put the weight back on. That's not an opinion, there's a ton of evidence to show this.

For most people, the route to losing weight and getting fit is removing the parts of your lifestyle that stop this happening. Usually for us blokes it is too much alcohol, carbs/fat and not enough movement.

I guess if you dont permanently alter that balance, nothing will really happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23941
    Snap said:
    Diets don't work, but lifestyle changes do. there's no point doing something drastically different like the Atkins, or the 5:2, or (insert any diet) if it doesn't become your new permanent lifestyle. You will just put the weight back on. That's not an opinion, there's a ton of evidence to show this.

For most people, the route to losing weight and getting fit is removing the parts of your lifestyle that stop this happening. Usually for us blokes it is too much alcohol, carbs/fat and not enough movement.

I guess if you dont permanently alter that balance, nothing will really happen.

I am discovering that!

I'm trying to get addicted to my daily walks.

I live in a small village where if I turn left out my front door and take every left turn round the block without crossing a road I get back to my house in almost exactly a third of a mile. So I just stick the iPod on and get on with it and do between 6 and 8 laps

I hate the first 2 laps and then all of a sudden it feels great.

The stress test guys recommended that I do this for 6 to 8 weeks before I increase the intensity as going from "appallingly atrociously unfit" to any type of jogging or other cardio would be an unwise shock.

I've always been heavy even when lean, and previous attempts at running (when overweight) have usually ended up with knee pain.

So I'm thinking of getting an exercise bike too as that should allow me to up the heart rate / intensity without getting injuries that stop me training.

• Just had an ECG after feeling faint over the last 2 days, mine was 38 after walking down a corridor to the monitoring room.  I’m only posting this because I want the forum record.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage;797895" said:
    I think I'm right in saying Bjorn Borg had one of the lowest RHR of all time.
    35bpm!
    Miguel Indurain was measured at a pre-Tour de France medical check at 28 bpm. Over two seconds between beats!
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175

• All this talk of Tour de France has reminded me of a joke.

I think it's disgusting how people treated Lance Armstrong after what he achieved winning 7 Tour De France titles on drugs.

When I was on drugs, I couldn't even find my bike.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Just had an ECG after feeling faint over the last 2 days, mine was 38 after walking down a corridor to the monitoring room.  I’m only posting this because I want the forum record.

Even better, after a 24 hour monitor it recorded 37.  Bjorn Borg I'm coming to get you!  (Standard resting, not on the vinegar stroke)

Good news though, these episodes of Sinus bradycardia are not an issue and LVH has been excluded.  I have Isolate multifocal VE's and Isolated SVE's including couplets, I don't know what any of this means but I've been discharged, which can only be good.

They also said I had 9 dropped beats.  Which made me think, if you are going to monitor me at gigs at least come over and say hello!

Does anybody know what this stuff means? I just have a letter with no particular explanation.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    Did the rest of Abba have notably low heart rates too?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited April 2018
    All this talk of Tour de France has reminded me of a joke.

I think it's disgusting how people treated Lance Armstrong after what he achieved winning 7 Tour De France titles on drugs.

When I was on drugs, I couldn't even find my bike.
    Everyone laughed when Lance Armstrong said he wanted to go to the moon... but now look... he’s up there looking down on everyone, chilling and just playing his trumpet!.

Mines 58bpm btw :)
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Low is not necessarily better. Docs classify anything under 60bpm is classified as 'bradycardia' - i.e. a slow heart rate.

You might even have a condition that is causing the low heart rate
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heart-block/

Sporky said:
    Did the rest of Abba have notably low heart rates too?

When they told me Benny's - Mamma Mia! 

It was in 5/4!!

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256

Just had an ECG after feeling faint over the last 2 days, mine was 38 after walking down a corridor to the monitoring room.  I’m only posting this because I want the forum record.

Even better, after a 24 hour monitor it recorded 37.  Bjorn Borg I'm coming to get you!  (Standard resting, not on the vinegar stroke)

Good news though, these episodes of Sinus bradycardia are not an issue and LVH has been excluded.  I have Isolate multifocal VE's and Isolated SVE's including couplets, I don't know what any of this means but I've been discharged, which can only be good.

They also said I had 9 dropped beats.  Which made me think, if you are going to monitor me at gigs at least come over and say hello!

Does anybody know what this stuff means? I just have a letter with no particular explanation.....

From memory, and probably missing some details, but hopefully correct generally......

LVH - left ventricular hypertrophy. The left ventricle is the chamber of the heart that pumps blood out into your body, after its been filled with oxygen from your lungs. Bit like the fuel pump on a car.

If it has to work unusually hard, as in (for example) cases of constricted blood vessels (from say high blood pressure, or fat build up in vessels), then the ventricle (which is muscular) gets larger and thicker. Same reason a bicep gets larger if you lift weights. This LVH then makes you more susceptible to a heart attack and irregular heart beats, which in extreme cases cause the heart to simply spasm and stop (sudden death).

So, NOT having LVH is therefore good! Many people with high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol have a degree of LVH, as do some athletes.

VE/SVE - essentially unexpected extra beats of the heart. Everyone gets them to a greater or lesser degree. People who have them a lot, and regularly, often can have atrial fibrillation, which if uncontrolled can lead to a stroke.

You can get these extra beats from alcohol - when you wake up in the night after a session with a thudding heart? That's this sort of thing as booze can affect your heart rhythm.

Sinus bradychardia - the sinus (for short) is a bundle of nerve tissue in your heart that controls the beat. It is like a battery that radiates electrical impulses through your heart to make it contract. When you stimulate it or inhibit it directly, it alters the rate and force of your heart beat. If you take a heart out of the body and keep it alive, it will beat at about 120bpm, generated by the sinus area. Your nervous system (vagus nerve) puts a brake on this naturally. When this goes awry, you can get irregular beating (arrhythmias).

Why do I know this stuff - university and work.

You obviously don't have anything to worry about!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is there a prize??

• Mine's usually around 90bpm resting. Is that bad?
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    If I'm fit mine can hover around 50-ish when completely resting. You don't want it going too low though, my mum has a pacemaker as hers used to stop for a few beats at night!

I heard some famous fell runner had a resting heart rate of 30-something, which is borderline dangerous.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • mine is 70 which isn't bad for my age but I've cheated a bit , got a pacemaker.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Between 38-45 this week according to my Apple Watch. 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Mines normally around 55-60. However I do alot of training and that has an impact on this value. It has been down to 45 when fully recovered and as high as 72 after a race the next day. I use heart rate to help see how recovered I am from training. Also use it in training to hit specific zones to do different things eg. build aerobic endurance, thresholds, vo2 max etc. Very useful once you get into it but you have to know what your normal values are and in my experience that varies quite a bit between people.
    Snap said:

You obviously don't have anything to worry about!

Thanks for all the info, that's great.  More than anybody else has told me!  All's good which is the main thing!

Is there a prize??

No, my Garmin was way, way out.  ECG or portable eloctrode monitor only ;)