Newbie to electrics really struggling

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Yeah we have to pay for the use of the hall but don't worry about that the first time you come.

Equipment wise. If you bring an acoustic you won't be able to hear yourself! I'd recommend an amp of 10watts plus. Most people bring amps around 20watts, usually a small combo something like a fender blues junior or 30 watt Roland cube.

I of course bring a 50w Marshall regularly, but I do know what the volume knob is for!

A tuner is a pretty good idea too.
    A notepad and pen is good for writing down the chord progressions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    edited September 2015
    I picked up the Squier Strat today, feels nice but was filthy and poorly setup (not that I'm an expert) stripped it all down and cleaned it all and it certainly sounds OK to my ears. Followed a few guides for setting intonation and string height adjustment and pretty pleased with it. Not sure if it's one of the good ones but probably good enough for me.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    One more question @Flanging_Fred...

Could you confirm that the thing at Northgate Communitty Centre is definitely Tuesday nights? This seems to indicate Wednesday.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3008
    edited September 2015
    Yup, definitely Tuesday night. That list is out of date AND incorrect! The Tanners arms in Horsham has shut down now, at least temporarily. The 12 bar has been Tuesday's for At least 10 years now.
    @skodadad - I've just PM'd you
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    What a good thread - lots of encouragement for you, @skodadad !

When I was learning all those years ago (although you never really stop, do you?) I found that I would have stages where I learned loads of stuff, then I'd have a plateau where I didn't learn anything new for ages, then another spurt of learning new stuff, etc.  It's probably not a bad thing,as you do at least consolidate the stuff you learn.

Anyway, best of luck!
    edited October 2015
    Thanks @nitefly these guys are the best I have learned a lot on here. Met up with @HAL9000 tonight at a local blues group. It wasn't as overwhelming as expected. I was worried when I heard them all play I'd come home and give up but instead I am more inspired. Some amazing guitarists just playing and having fun. Having never heard anyone good play live before I was in awe and they made it look very easy. Was great to get them look over a couple of tele's I traded today and tell me which was best for me too. I think the tele is the guitar for me. I love the look and feel of it as well as the sound and I guess wanting to pick a guitar up is half of the battle. Still buzzing a bit so sorry to ramble on lol.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    This thread is a really interesting read.

@Skodadad I think we're in pretty similar situations. I started playing in January and have already got a lot more out of the guitar than I ever thought I would. I tried to learn a few times as a kind / teenager as my old man has played since he was 10 or 12 so I've always wanted to play too but could never get off the ground. A bit of nagging from workmates spurred me to try again in January (aged 35) and I've not been able to get enough of the guitar since. My old man got me started with some chords and advice and I found Justinguitar's beginner stuff really helped as I could just immerse myself in it in my own time and go and see my old man once a week for some tips and observations. Before long I'd got way further than I'd ever pictured I would have back in January but I'm still very much a beginner.

I found after learning loads and loads in a really short time (say 3 months) that I felt like I plateaued massively for a while but I kept chipping away at scales and chord changes and trying to keep myself interested by learning parts of songs I really like. I found this happens every so often and it can feel like it takes ages to get out of each mini-rut but it always happens eventually, then I find I've jumped on a bit without realising. I saved a heap of songs and lessons to learn on YouTube and going back to some now that I found just out of reach a couple of months ago is showing me that I have learned more than I realised and my scales and chords are much better than they used to be. But the more you learn the less noticeable the progress is. Hang in there and keep at it.

I have only really played with and in front of my old man but find that videoing myself on my phone is quite helpful too now and again as you can see what you're doing. I quite often go to pieces as soon as I hit the record button or sit down with my Dad though, it's frustrating. My old man's advice is replacing formal lessons for me so far, but these groups like you mention sound great. I'm not confident enough for that yet though, but I might look into it. I have a few mates that play so maybe we should do something together that would feel less intimidating. When I think about going to a group like that all I can picture is me pushing a creaky door open into an old gym hall with a group of experienced players sitting in a circle, turning round to see me stumble in and wondering "who's this chump?" :)

• Wow, I'm glad you made it to the '12 bar' last night and very happy you enjoyed yourself. Its a really great starting point for playing with other people. Great stuff.

Sorry I couldn't be there myself as I had to do the dad bit and look after the kids while Mrs Fred is away. Hopefully it wasn't too intimidating, they are all a good bunch, even some of the more cumudgeonly ones are nice once you get to know them :)

Hopefully I'll make it next week...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2015
    @andyp to be honest I have been on lots of hobby forums over the years, I have even moderated a few. Never have I met a group of folk as friendly as guitarists. Tbh I think we all need other guitarists to push us on. I have seen a few knobs on here, generally they are opinionated and have all the gear but mostly they seem to buy to impress people. If I want to spend 10k to look good I'll get a nose job. The very few bad apples are easily ignored. The folk I met last night were a lovely bunch and the things they advised have really helped me, seeing them play has also motivated me. I'm not very good yet, I will be though one day!
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Aye, my main hobby is motorbikes but there are so many mentalists on some of the forums that I only use one bike forum now and I refuse to go on Pistonheads etc. as it's a nightmare. I looked at a few guitar forums and found this one the best right from the off. It's not easy being a new member on a forum as nobody knows who you are, and it's even worse when you're new to the subject too but this one has been super welcoming and helpful.

I've learned loads from this forum and there's always something worth reading.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2208
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but does the 12 Bar Workshop still run at Northgate, Crawley?
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3008
    Can you shed any light @HAL9000 ? I've not been for quite a while now.

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 181
    The electric guitar requires a very different right hand technique compared to an acoustic. With an acoustic you can strum open chords and sound great. With the electric, especially with some dirt, it took me a while to learn to narrow/reduce the sounds. Play fewer strings, palm muting, etc.

Practice!
    Can you shed any light @HAL9000 ? I've not been for quite a while now.

@Adey - Yes it still runs on Tuesday evenings. Please PM me if you'd like more info.