Feline Guitars Lion Cub SC & DC thread : WAY COOL JUNIOR*

What's Hot

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Absolutely stunning, top work as always. Vanquish did a junior style model too, it was awesome, something about a flat slab that really works for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9979
    tFB Trader
    Gorgeous mate ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Congrats Adrian.........Giss-a-go!!
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    More pics

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    edited October 2015
    What do you think of the Graphtech bridges?
    edited October 2015 tFB Trader
    I like them - they certainly feel smooth on the hand.
    @thorpyfx has his DC cub now and I'm sure he'll give a review when he's had time to get used to her.

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Christ on a bike I really do need to just save my pennies and buy a guitar from Feline Guitars one day!
    tFB Trader
    Been soldering up pot and cap harnesses today - a  couple ready for the next couple of Lion Cubs (Juniors) and 4 for the archtop Lions

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

Tidy!  I like those pots with the "dip" in the middle, they never seem to be as stiff as the flat-backed CTS pots. 

• FelineGuitars;843794" said:
    Been soldering up pot and cap harnesses today - a  couple ready for the next couple of Lion Cubs (Juniors) and 4 for the archtop Lions
    Any reason for using bare Knuckle caps in particular?
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Mkjackary said:
    FelineGuitars;843794" said:
    Any reason for using bare Knuckle caps in particular?
    cos they look like sweets! or probably because they are paper in oil caps that are readily available to mimic the PIO caps/mojo of yesteryear
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    They work really well, and I like how the interact when I turn down the tone control - I like the feel of the sweep - especially with the 50s wiring. 
    Also on our our guitars which are considered top of the scale guitars I like to put the best in there - nothing wrong with Orange drops and I like to use them too, but these look and sound great and the player feels they get something special for all the money they lay out for one of our guitars.

Thorpy has an Sg and a Lion Cub with these in it , so he'll tell you what it's like to play.

The pots are the BKP/CTS 550k ones and they are slightly looser than some CTS and I like the sweep - it has that noticable drop from 10 down to 8 which is good for that lead to rhythm transition at the touch of a finger.

• FelineGuitars;844009" said:
    They work really well, and I like how the interact when I turn down the tone control - I like the feel of the sweep - especially with the 50s wiring. Also on our our guitars which are considered top of the scale guitars I like to put the best in there - nothing wrong with Orange drops and I like to use them too, but these look and sound great and the player feels they get something special for all the money they lay out for one of our guitars.

Thorpy has an Sg and a Lion Cub with these in it , so he'll tell you what it's like to play.

The pots are the BKP/CTS 550k ones and they are slightly looser than some CTS and I like the sweep - it has that noticable drop from 10 down to 8 which is good for that lead to rhythm transition at the touch of a finger.
    Ahh cool, just wondered why bare Knuckle as opposed to any others that are out there.
    Do you use the bare Knuckle stuff when you put als/oil city's/ non BKP in your guitars too?
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    edited November 2015 tFB Trader
    Yes - either that or std CTS ones - also have some NOS russian caps and orange drops etc
    Oil City has only just started offering caps and pots and haven't reordered anything with them lately, but they'll be good quality ones for sure.

Pots and the like will work with anyone's pickups and they are CTS pots and Jensen Caps (BKP only choose the ones they like, order them in bulk and have their name stamped on - they don't actually make them). 
    It's just marketing and branding put on another respected manufacturer's components.
    As long as I'm using the best quality parts with the best feel then I won't go wrong or get it wrong for my customers.

If I had enough money to do it I'd order from CTS etc and have Feline stamped on....but it'd just be vanity.

Sometimes there are only so many drawers full of components you can keep and we keep a fair bit more than you'd think, although I will only order good stuff.

• FelineGuitars;844108" said:
    Yes - either that or std CTS ones - also have some NOS russian caps and orange drops etcOil City has only just started offering caps and pots and haven't reordered anything with them lately, but they'll be good quality ones for sure.

Pots and the like will work with anyone's pickups and they are CTS pots and Jensen Caps (BKP only choose the ones they like, order them in bulk and have their name stamped on - they don't actually make them). It's just marketing and branding put on another respected manufacturer's components.As long as I'm using the best quality parts with the best feel then I won't go wrong or get it wrong for my customers.

If I had enough money to do it I'd order from CTS etc and have Feline stamped on....but it'd just be vanity.

Sometimes there are only so many drawers full of components you can keep and we keep a fair bit more than you'd think, although I will only order good stuff.
    Ahh, the more you talk the more I want one of your guitars! Haha
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9979
    tFB Trader
    Yes - either that or std CTS ones - also have some NOS russian caps and orange drops etc
    Oil City has only just started offering caps and pots and haven't reordered anything with them lately, but they'll be good quality ones for sure.

Pots and the like will work with anyone's pickups and they are CTS pots and Jensen Caps (BKP only choose the ones they like, order them in bulk and have their name stamped on - they don't actually make them). 
    It's just marketing and branding put on another respected manufacturer's components.
    As long as I'm using the best quality parts with the best feel then I won't go wrong or get it wrong for my customers.

I thought long and hard about selling budget pots and caps when I started offering components on the Oil City site. But I look at things like Jonathan: I take huge amounts of effort to make sure my pickups are the best I can make, and it would be a shame not to sell them with the best components I can source. If Customers want to source cheaper alternatives themselves, great, there are lots of suppliers of budget Alpha pots etc out there, but I don't want to take all the time and effort for example making wiring harnesses to fit kit I wouldn't fit in my own gigging guitars. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

•  

I thought long and hard about selling budget pots and caps when I started offering components on the Oil City site. But I look at things like Jonathan: I take huge amounts of effort to make sure my pickups are the best I can make, and it would be a shame not to sell them with the best components I can source. If Customers want to source cheaper alternatives themselves, great, there are lots of suppliers of budget Alpha pots etc out there, but I don't want to take all the time and effort for example making wiring harnesses to fit kit I wouldn't fit in my own gigging guitars. 

Do you (or Jonathan) have any experience with Omeg pots, they are british made and on their website you can create custom orders for pots. I assume it would probably cost a lot unless you are doing a massive production run, however it would be cool to see a british guitar with british pickups and electronics inside (dependant on them being of good quality).

edited December 2015 tFB Trader
    Another cool Double Cut in the works ...this time for @martinw of MJWamps

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Looking good! Colour me excited :)
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:
    Looking good! Colour me excited :)
    Progress being made....

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom