Good vintage e-piano and/or organ sounds

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
edited October 2015 in Other Instruments
Hi all, wasn't sure where to pay this as we don't yet have a keys section

But I was a-wondering if anybody knew of any small form keyboards that do a passable old style e-piano sound (think the doors Riders on the Storm) and/or a nice old organ type sound (again like the doors, When the Music's Over)?

Have a Microkorg at the mo which looks great abd is a perfect size but the organ and piano type sounds on there are understandably a bit synthy.

I did pick up a cheap Yamaha Piano module thing (one of these in fact http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_articles/nov96/yamahap50m.html ) but that gave out the most awful cheesy examples of the two sounds. Though I may not have set it up right or whatever

What say ye?

Appreciate it's not really a guitar forum question but there you go!
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    edited October 2015
    If you can connect to a PC via midi maybe give Garage Band or EZKeys a try.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • I'm never too keen on playing through a computer as there seem to many wires everywhere, I was going there might be something that just has a few tangible knobs on it that might do the trick!

The Microkorg has sounds for both which kind of work with a few fx after them (step up Zoom g3), the organ sound is better than the epiano sound, but there's no sustain pedal on it (unless that's because I don't know how to use it Haha)
  • "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Lol @phil_aka_pip as beautiful as that is, is bit really nailing the small form factor sadly is it ;)
  • Lol @phil_aka_pip as beautiful as that is, is bit really nailing the small form factor sadly is it ;)
    True but it is so beautiful that I made room for it. YMMV ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I'd have to make an entire room for it!

Might have another fiddle with the Korg + zoom combination. The organ sounded better than the piano, with a rotary sim on it and some overdrive, maybe the piano will sound better with some drive and a trem... Still no sustain pedal though!
  • Thought I'd move into the new forum now it's up and running
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have an EMU Shortboard synth that our keyboard player uses and it has some good Rhodes and Hammond sounds on it (samples) they aren't made any more but try and pick one up second hand
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The Microkorg XL+ has a Wurlitzer piano in it, which nails the Small Faces sound, and can probably do Riders On The Storm adequately too. Small keys though. 
    On a PC there is Lounge Lizard or Mr Ray which are quite nice in a mix
  • Ah bugger, I bought the wrong one then with the Microkorg! I've no problem with the small keys, quite enjoy the challenge actually on that front.
    I haven't had mine very long but am having lots of fun programming Cubase with it - it just sits on my desk in front of my monitor and dares me to play piano!

I did a fair bit of 'research' about the XL+ coz I really wanted one of the little MS20 'reissues', but reckoned that I can do all the bubbly and synthy stuff with VSTs  or the MS2000 or Prophecy if necessary, and if I want a keyboard to use with the band, the Microkorg has some Mellotron, organ and piano sounds that might be useful. 
  • Ah yeah I like the mellotron cello sound, that's be nice too. My research in buying the basic microkorg was...I would like to try a synth, that one is popular and reasonably priced, boom :)
    I have long been a fan of M-tron VST plugin. Once I tried the cello I found I was trying to shoe-horn it into everything, lol! I would love a real Mellotron but can't justify it on so many levels, let alone the cost. 

The XL+ seems to be coming down in price - I got mine secondhand for 170. The editing is a pain - another reason why computers are our friends!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited November 2015
    Have you seen the EHX Key9 pedal that allows you to get those sounds from a guitar instead?
    From what I've read, the EH pedal requires a lot of technique - adjustment to get teh best keyboard simulations.I know from my experiences trying to use MIDI guitar that it's not always successful (well, for me at least!).
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    For a Hammond VST, VB3 is excellent, and a bargain at 50 euro.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Thanks guys, will look into the suggestions but really trying to avoid the millions of wires that you get when plugging into a laptop. Also I don't want a guitar pedal for it because I can play keys, that's gotta be better (and the demo I heard sounded awful!!)

Cheers all