Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• elkayelkay Frets: 77
    edited August 2013
    David Kennett @ Flame Guitars in Sutton, Surrey. Just today had some superb work done on my Gretsch for a very reasonable price. Very pro-active, which I like.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I have a couple I don't recommend!
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited August 2013
    Northern Ireland (Coleraine) Music Room

set up on my peavey rockingham. plays like a dream
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    edited August 2013

Shane Haigh (String Surgeon) Wakefield.

He builds his own guitars and although he only did a fret dressing for me last year, he was recommended to me by a guy at Sheffield's largest Guitar Store (he doesn't work there).

He did a good job for me and he knows his Onions.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    I've not used him yet, but Melvin Hiscock in Hampshire comes highly recommended.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1198
    Steve Robinson, aka Manchester Guitar Tech in Sale: http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/

A fantastic tech as well as being a gentleman, scholar and (quite possibly) an acrobat.

I've been a customer for many years and can recommend him wholeheartedly. He's not afraid to talk you out of unnecessary or uneconomical mods. He loves what he does and it shows. One of the good guys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 131
    Terry Chapman in Stevenage......really pleasant guy, lightening quick and really good standard of work.  Also no silly prices.  Did a lovely refret on a 330 for me recently.

Robbie Gladwell is also a very nice guy and as good as you can get in terms of quality of work and experience.  Robbie's just refretted and refinished an old tele for me and it is superb.
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    surfguy13 said:
    Terry Chapman in Stevenage......really pleasant guy, lightening quick and really good standard of work.  Also no silly prices.  Did a lovely refret on a 330 for me recently..
    The link to his site, is this one I presume. http://www.tjcguitars.com./
  • Keith Robbins in Yeovil Somerset. Makes acoustic/mandolins/his own range of electrics and relic strats and tele's. contact through me, until we can persuade him to have a website. Been building guitars for 40 years. Completely word of mouth.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Mick;8104" said:
    surfguy13 said:

Terry Chapman in Stevenage......really pleasant guy, lightening quick and really good standard of work.  Also no silly prices.  Did a lovely refret on a 330 for me recently..

The link to his site, is this one I presume. http://www.tjcguitars.com./
    Wow £55 for a full fret dress and set up is jolly good value!
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited August 2013
    Rob Dix. Very thorough, knowledable and friendly. Gloucestershire. http://www.rdamplification.co.uk/About-Us.html
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    edited August 2013

Original list merged with the list created by dd and - with a lot of help from Mr dd - smartened up somewhat!

Still need to add the recommenders.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Stuart Palmer at Electromusic in Doncaster.

http://www.stuartsguitarworks.com/

01302 369999

Great work and good prices. Not part of the Doncaster guitar mafia.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    Gavin @ Andertons Music, Guildford

Knowledgeable guy and did a great job on a Jackson of mine.

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    N. Ireland - Pete Griffin in Lisburn area. Top notch & a nice fella to chinwag with too.
    Seemed like a good idea.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    Oxford: Dave Smart (smartguitars.co.uk) has, without exaggeration, transformed two dozen guitars for me and repaired a couple of tube amps. Highly knowledgeable and hugely experienced. Can't recommend highly enough.

• RoasterRoaster Frets: 18
    Ged Green in Cheadle, Stockport. transformed my Lester does stuff for Sounds Great Music I believe
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    John Phillips at Strung Out Guitars (Glasgow) is different class, has worked on all of my guitars and the guy is a real problem solver as well as having a "touch" with guitars.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Basher said:
    Steve Robinson, aka Manchester Guitar Tech in Sale: http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/

A fantastic tech as well as being a gentleman, scholar and (quite possibly) an acrobat.

I've been a customer for many years and can recommend him wholeheartedly. He's not afraid to talk you out of unnecessary or uneconomical mods. He loves what he does and it shows. One of the good guys.
    +1 for Steve Robinson. He built me a beautiful P90-equipped Tele which is now my main squeeze and fettled a Godin Radiator bought via @blueskunk into a fine slide guitar. Lovely guy and very reasonable prices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Dave at DW Guitars in Maidstone is a sound bet if you're in this part of Kent.