Guitar sonic vintagising - ToneRite, etc

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
edited December 2015 in Acoustics
I have heard of the ToneRite device that ages soundboards quickly, by feeding sound into them
It was used on a guitar I now own

It is quite pricey

Why wouldn't I just put the guitar in front of a loudspeaker?

I have 2 brand new guitars, and am wondering if I should try this technique
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    edited December 2015
    Try it one but not the other and see if it makes a difference. Good experiment.

The only problem I think is that it needs to be quite high volume and a long time to have an effect. Put some Metallica on loop all day while you're at work or something.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    the ToneRite thing supposedly lets you choose between opening up volume or harmonics
    hmm maybe it's worth getting one
  • ToneControl;893537" said:
    the ToneRite thing supposedly lets you choose between opening up volume or harmonicshmm maybe it's worth getting one
    Is there a setting that allows you to choose between your own clothes and the King's new ones?
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    I would do this. Keep one as a control, 'treat' the other. This is a correct scientific approach to finding out whether it makes a difference - I'm fairly sure it does, but I would be interested for it to be proved more thoroughly than just the anecdotal evidence I have. Or disproved, if that is the case!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4124
    I've read some reports that, because it vibrates the guitar with the strings on, it can be hard on bridges and nuts.....accelerated wear and tear etc.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:
    I've read some reports that, because it vibrates the guitar with the strings on, it can be hard on bridges and nuts.....accelerated wear and tear etc.
    I can't see any reason that should happen. Wear on nuts and bridges is caused by string movement over them - ie restringing, tuning and string bending. The string just vibrating does not move at the point of contact.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I would do this. Keep one as a control, 'treat' the other. This is a correct scientific approach to finding out whether it makes a difference - I'm fairly sure it does, but I would be interested for it to be proved more thoroughly than just the anecdotal evidence I have. Or disproved, if that is the case!
    I don't have 2 identical models, but should be able to assess, since I can compare the results of a multi-day treatment on several others
    ToneControl;893537" said:
    the ToneRite thing supposedly lets you choose between opening up volume or harmonicshmm maybe it's worth getting one
    Is there a setting that allows you to choose between your own clothes and the King's new ones?
    I'd be skeptical if I had not seen lots of luthiers using this
  • Bob Benedetto uses one. Blows my mind and gives some weight to the argument
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    I tried one on my collings about 4 years ago tried it for a few months...didnt make much difference to that guitar in my opinion.YMMV
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    Bob Benedetto uses one. Blows my mind and gives some weight to the argument
    there may be something in that....when i bought mine it was via a cello/violin shop and they did say that it made a noticeable difference to new Cellos, whether them being "archtopped" makes a difference i wouldnt knbow but maybe thats why Benedetto rates the tone rite too....personally in my experience i wouldnt bother with an acoustic...play them hard to break them in,  that definately works :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I remain skeptical in the same way I'm skeptical about hi-fi cables that cost £20000.
    Although this gadget is a lot cheaper than that.
    Sassafras said:
    I remain skeptical in the same way I'm skeptical about hi-fi cables that cost £20000.
    Although this gadget is a lot cheaper than that.
    There is a difference though - super-expensive cables can't sound better than normal good ones, because there is no physical mechanism for it to be so. But there's an actual physical mechanism this could work, by 'breaking in' the guitar in the same way as a speaker cone breaks in - which is a provable effect. Whether a guitar 'breaks in' in the same way, or if so to the same extent, is the only question really.

As ever I would be very interested to see it proved one way or the other - I expect it would be proved, but I wouldn't be at all upset to be wrong.

I don't have 2 identical models, but should be able to assess, since I can compare the results of a multi-day treatment on several others
    They don't have to be identical for one to be a control. If the other breaks in noticeably, the difference between the two will change.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    here's a 57 page thread to save us the bother

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • These things are always seen as snake oil on first look but there is some science out there and interestingly Yairi the japanese guitar builder plays his loud classical music before he ships to get them used to being musical instruments :-)

I would like to try one 
  • Well I listened to a load of you tube stuff on headphones and in some it seemed quiet pronounced and in other its a bit meh.

So in the end I had to name a Christmas pressie from the MRS so I have one coming, probably a mistake but there was enough in some of them to make it worth a bash.

So will see how it goes.

I will keep an open mind at this point

I ordered one, I will test it in my own fashion
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    I've thought about buying one then renting it out to other forum members to make some of the cash back. Maybe you could try the same once it arrives and you've finished? I'd certainly pay to try it for a week. The rig rundown with Jason Isbell he mentions putting an ebow on his acoustics and leaving it until the batteries die.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Lewy said:
    I don't think it does this, though it can knack the strings, so it's worth planning to change them after using the ToneRite.

I've got one and used it on my Archtop. I thought it made a beneficial difference. The ToneRite is expensive, and I know it is controversial i.e. there are always arguments over whether or not it does make a difference.
  • Well on some stuff I could hear a clear difference on others stuff hard to tell its a gamble and it beats socks and more expensive whiskey I really don't need to drink. Happy to loan it out if anyone wants a go in the new year it's not the gift that keeps on giving in the sense I have one new acoustic and a 4 year old that said neither get a mountain of playtime so yes the old mahogany vintage is probably broke in after 4 years but the cheap Cort with Adirondack top will probably take forever a about 1hr per week, hence my interest.