'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    That seems odd ... if there is an issue I'll refund you completely on the loom obviously ...  it was made up using our test LP so there shouldn't have been an issue. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi Ash, just got the guitar back, and OH MY GOD! She sounds simply fantastic. As for the wiring issue I mentioned earlier, if you have a look at the difference between the two pics i've put on Twitter, you'll see where they've had to move the position of the lower black wire (on the pic) as it wouldn't quite reach when the pots were fitted to the guitar. Not as drastic as I thought after getting off the phone! Once again, many thanks and a very happy customer!
    tFB Trader
    Thank goodness for that lol
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited December 2015
    PM incoming, @boydie101 - would love to hear your Nightfighters (particularly interested in split clean sounds)! 
    I might be sealing a deal on some 85/15 pups but wouldn't rule out some customs in future. 
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 543
    Some eye candy ... a 'relic finish' Oil City FortyNiner Broadcaster style alnico 3 pickup

Think this is the exact pickup that I now own :)
    Will be going in to an Esquire build soon.

Just wondering if you have an accurate output measuring for these Fortyniners, Ash?
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
    tFB Trader
    About 9.6k off the top of my noggin ... 43awg wound, alnico 3 ...

• LewliganLewligan Frets: 543
    Cheers!
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    I'm in the market for some mini-hums

How soon?   ;)
    tFB Trader
    Okay Wez ... I prototyped them some time ago ... but it's time they 'stalked abroad' ... I'll PM you

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2015
    Still intending to grab myself a Firewatch P-90 at some point soon... you got anything else cool in terms of P-90s Ash? I'm looking for something brighter, zingier and lower-output than the ASL Jin-Go prototype I have in my Junior at the minute (has that become a regular model now?) so the Void probably wouldn't be right, cool as it is.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    tFB Trader
    There is another Masterwound model again a prototype  ... developed with info from several 50s Gibson examples ... that may well be right up your street ...

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    edited December 2015
    Already PM'd @TheGuitarWeasel, but wanted to post how happy I am with my Oil City HB sized P90s and 50's wiring loom.

I got them fitted in my SG yesterday and have hardly stopped playing it since.

Completely transformed the guitar, and has all the bite you'd want in the bridge with a lovely rounded tone from the neck pickup without being woolly (which IMO the 57 classics were).

The 50's wiring is great, the volume controls are actually usable now.

It's worth noting if you're fitting the wiring loom to an SG that there's not much space in the control cavity, and the nice PIO caps Ash uses have a conductive casing, so if you've shielded your cavity with copper foil (as I have), then if either of the caps touch it you'll have a short and have a very low volume muffled sound with no treble.
    It had me scratching my head for 5 minutes but was an easy fix.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    tFB Trader
    Yeah, I had problems fitting in the PIOs in my own SG ... the slightly thinner than standard body on the 'Tribute' makes things rather tight!

• Just a wee note to compliment @TheGuitarWeasel on the FortyNiner pickup I've just installed into my Esquire build. It's awesome & a vast improvement on its predecessor- it's got that classic tele twang when you want but is beefy & full too. Thanks!
  • rashrash Frets: 38
    edited February 2016
    Have just ordered a Scrapyard dog and a forces sweetheart for my esp Potbelly tr, looking forward to trying them :)

Also i need to replace the mini humbuckers in my les Paul Deluxe at some point in the near future ;)
  • metalemetale Frets: 57
    Hi Ash.

Just curious, any plans to expand the extended range uh.... range to single coils?

I may have use in the future for an eight string strat-style single coil with flat poles for a HSH setup (Tosin Abasi, anyone? :) )

Cheers
    tFB Trader
    Yep ... now we have the industrial laser cutter the flatwork for extended range single coils will be easy for us to manufacture

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Hi Ash, What's with the 'Diesel' tapped P90s? You've got these down as "Special Order, ask for details" on the web site with not much in the way of description.

Will these be (or are they) "Hotter" P90s which tap down to "vintage" output or something different altogether?

I'm pondering replacements for the pickups in a PRS SE singlecut Soapbar, and while I really, really like the snarl of (say) an early '60s SG Junior/Special the idea of something which can get even raunchier kind of appeals...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    tFB Trader
    JayGee said:
    Hi Ash, What's with the 'Diesel' tapped P90s? You've got these down as "Special Order, ask for details" on the web site with not much in the way of description.

Will these be (or are they) "Hotter" P90s which tap down to "vintage" output or something different altogether?

I'm pondering replacements for the pickups in a PRS SE singlecut Soapbar, and while I really, really like the snarl of (say) an early '60s SG Junior/Special the idea of something which can get even raunchier kind of appeals...
    Exactly that ... vintage with a hotter option

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    JayGee said:

Exactly that ... vintage with a hotter option
    Mwahahahahahaha....!

Expect an order once I've put sufficient gig money into Mrs JayGee's holiday fund. :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...