How do you hold your plectrum when you're not using it?

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8590
Didn't realise I did this.  

Before I breathe in and choke I ought to find somewhere else to put it.  What do you do?
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm another "mouther". It's that or wedge it between the strings on the headstock, depending on whether I'm pick-less for a whole song or just part I one.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Funny you say that. I breathed a plectrum in once, the doc said I should eat (brown) bread, which I did, and it came out 2 days later and I've still got it. In terms of holding it when not playing, the done thing is to frisbee it intp the crowd and select another from the mic stand.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    I also breathed in a whole tesco chocolate mousse once and nearly crashed the car from lack of oxygen.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I used to do the mouth thing, but these days I don't use a plec so problem solved. I've seen some people press it into their palm and hold it there with one finger.

• I don't ever let go of it - barring hamfisted accidents, it stays in the same place while I'm playing. If I need to fingerpick I just use fingers 2, 3 and 4...tapping is done using fingers 2 and 3.
    <space for hire>
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Can't use my mouth as I sing, so I tend to keep hold, and use hybrid picking for "those" bits.

Sometimes I drop them. I tend to drop my slide when I've finished with it, as there's nowhere else to put it.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I don't ever let go of it - barring hamfisted accidents, it stays in the same place while I'm playing. If I need to fingerpick I just use fingers 2, 3 and 4...tapping is done using fingers 2 and 3.
    Me too, to the extent that if I play classical guitar with no pick I use thumb plus fingers 2, 3 and 4.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Same here palm it (ooh err!) and hybrid picking/finger strumming.
  • I use a Dunlop Jazz 3 pick, it's small enough to hold with my just second finger (against the second part of it, held by the 1st and 3rd bits as they curl… hard to explain in a message!). It leaves me free to play fingerstyle fairly unhindered, and I can swap between picking and fingers in the blink of an eye :-)
  • Oh, and one of the kids I teach swallowed his plectrum and it required removal at a hospital… playing hide and seek apparently. Why he had a pick in his mouth I don't know!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited November 2013
    I flick them into the crowd, grab my crotch and jump off a speaker stack.

Ok, fine, I palm it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    This afternoon I've tried playing whilst holding the plectrum under a finger. Quite successful, but the problem is that, at different times, I use every right hand finger and don't have one permanently free for the plectrum. I shall continue to experiment.
  • Sandwiched between 1st and 2nd finger

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    If it's a whole song that doesn't need a pick, it goes on the music stand. otherwise, it goes between my lips as well..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    edited December 2013
    Back trouser pocket, on the very rare occasions I ever use a pick.

Normally in the box of other guitar-y bits and pieces I never use :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Same here. I spent thirty years playing with fingers only, but nowadays I'm playing stuff which needs a pick.