Rhythms and poly rhythms ~ with a little Indian spice

What's Hot

Comments

• OK, here is a bit more from the John Mclaughlin - Konokol - the Gateway to Rhythm series,
    (the video above, courtesy of @Barney is chapter 2)
    (more to come later)

Chapter 00 ~ Introduction

Duration 5:43

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chapter 01

Duration 7:12

And here is Chapter 02 again for the sake of completeness

Duration 8:46

• Chapter 03

Duration 7:25

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1072
    edited February 2015
    Great thread,just finished up watching this Mattias vid on Konnakol thought id add it to the long list of others already posted

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    What a great video, thanks for posting it @Gizmo    :)

Chapter 4     

Duration 9:21

Time for an interlude on the JM videos:

LeedsCollegeofMusic ~ Mastering rhythm with Konokol - Asaf Sirkis ~  Mustard and strawberries?  

Duration 4:50

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    edited October 2015

@chrismusic

watching the Doctor cat lessons........

5's........Ta Din Gi Na Tom

if I were counting 5's over a 4/4 could I count the gi na tom part as a triplet (2+3), 3 notes in the space of two?

I can't count the 5 over 4, evenly spaced, but it makes sense if I approach the last 3 notes as a triplet

tae be or not tae be
    Hey there @hootsmon, sorry for not replying, I haven't been around much for a while, and you are pretty scarce lately, hope everything is OK with you.

It's all about timing and phrasing IMHO.  The Indian choices of words are not entirely impartial to phrasing, and emphasis, and you can further modulate that by your choices of accenting.  There seems to me to be a natural triplet "canter / gallop" (for want of a better phrase) to the way "Gi Na Tom" falls from the tongue.  You could try counting in fives against a metronome with the full "Da Di Gi Na Dom" (or it's linguistic variants) until you get it temporally and mathematically accurate.  Or play with the phrasing and flavours by more loosely interpreting the rhythmic patterns.

To that end I see no reason for not playing around with 2 beats and a triplet over the bar, it's just another interpretation, as long as you know why you are doing it, and what affect it has on the musical context.  Whatever pleases you and your ear is usually cool...

• GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    The best Polly rhythm

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Thanks @Gassage, does that mean we have finally reached nirvana ?

If that's moksha, I want my money back...

Not sure this was quite my aspirational journey, or my intended destiny though    >-)

• GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    Thanks @Gassage, does that mean we have finally reached nirvana ?

If that's moksha, I want my money back...

Not sure this was quite my aspirational journey, or my intended destiny though    >-)
    When I watched that I realised what a genius we lost.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Time for an update, methinks...

John Mclaughlin - Konokol - the Gateway to Rhythm series

Chapter 5: odd time sigs    

Duration 17:07

And maybe time for another deviation ~

The trick to getting the rhythm of English right is all to do with the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables when we talk. We speak in a pattern of iambs - an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable. Speech that reflects this natural rhythm feels like music to our ears. When speech does not reflect this rhythm, it is difficult to understand and sounds unpleasant to native speakers.
    Also find out about iambic pentameter - the special rhythm that is used in famous British poetry and by the dramatist Shakespeare.

Duration 9:03

Singers - Develop Rhythm through Rap ~ not great, but you get the idea ?

Duration 4:33

And this is an EXCELLENT example of what I mean ~  (great guitar too, great musicianship in the rest of the band, tight!)  Who says guitar is dead ?

Jessie J - Bang Bang | T in the Park 2015

Duration 4:44

and if you want a bit more ~ highlights:

Duration 21:27

• vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited August 2016
    I just want to reference Tchaikowsky's 2nd movement of his 6th symphony here - it's in good ole 5/4, which is hardly the most outlandish time sig, but just check out how beautifully comfortable the first couple of minutes sound, and then the middle section at 2:50-4:20 is just so natural it's hard to believe it's not in 4/4 with a slight lilt. Though how come the Vienna orchestra has like 3 women, all the rest are middle-aged white males?!

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    RE: odd time sigs.  I read an Andy Timmons interview, done shortly after the Protocol III album and he said he doesn't really think about the time sig and basically just feels it.  

Regarding 5 note groupings - I know what notes I want to hit on each beat and concentrate on these and hope the rest lines up ok.  
    Excellent example @Viz, I actually had to count it out as it felt so comfortable.  Which goes along with what @bingefeller says about Andy Timmons, I guess that well thought through music has a naturalness to it, which often disguises more complex writing.  One essence of good music ? 

Al Di Meola "Al's Guitar Tips"

Duration 10:40