Converting a Lemon Drop into a Lucy - PICS!

What's Hot

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667

This has suddenly remind me that I actually enquired as to what timbers were used for each V100 model when I was researching which to buy in the first place. I got an email back from a gentleman called Jon Parker from JHS:

Hi Dan  Please accept our sincere apologies you haven’t received an email sooner – unfortunately our colleague who would normally answer this was unexpectedly called away from the office plus we’ve been close for Easter. In answer to your question please see the current definitive list of the four different types for Vintage’s  V100 range as follows… 1)      Solid  Carved Mahogany Body – V100GT, V100TSB, V100WR,V100BB,V100 AW, V100MRJBM 2)      Veneer- Flame Maple Thin Cap – V100HB, V100CS,V100 IT,V100 MRTSB,V100 MRHB, V100MRCS 3)      Flame Maple Carved Top – V100AFD 4)      Maple Cap & Flame Maple Veneer – V100MRPGM  Hope this clears up any confusion. We will of course update our website accordingly.  If you have any further questions or any issues obtaining a  V100, or any Vintage guitar, please do not hesitate to get back in touch.       Apologies once again for the delay but hope you enjoy the V100 of your choice!       Kind regards           Jon Parker Assistant Sales Office Manager John Hornby Skewes & Co LtdSalem House, Parkinson Approach, Garforth, Leeds, West Yorkshire. LS25 2HRSales Direct : +44 (0)113 2866411  Switchboard: +44 (0) 113 2865381Sales Fax: +44 (0) 113 3854428
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

That post looks a total mess, sorry.

Basically he says the V100MRPGM has a "Maple Cap& Flame Maple Veneer"

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I took the pickups out of the last Lemon Drop I had and there was definitely a nice thick cap on it - which I presumed was maple. Agreed though, that stripped one clearly isn't.

Getting side-tracked  (sorry) has anybody seen one of the new 'un-relicked' ones they have released? It looks good but I haven't seen a foto of the back where it is meant to have a molded heel - like Feline's was how it was described to me..

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric/V100PGM_13.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    edited November 2013
    yeah, you can usually tell straight away if it has a maple cap in the pickup cavity, and if you look closely  you can see how thick the veneer is to, usually about 1mm.   worth a quick look before starting anything

I have an old 90's Epiphone and you can clearly see that you would not want to remove the veneer.   it has a thick 2-piece maple cap, but there is clear discoloration in one half of it.  I suppose there is a slim chance it would look awesome once stripped, but i doubt it (judgingby its 7 piece back)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10230
    I've started to strip the top of my Vintage lemon drop and because the'relicing' is so deep it had gone right through the veneer so I'm having to strip the whole veneer off.Definitely not a maple cap beneath,looks like solid mahogany but only two pieces so should look ok stripped back.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 

I've started to strip the top of my Vintage lemon drop and because the'relicing' is so deep it had gone right through the veneer so I'm having to strip the whole veneer off.Definitely not a maple cap beneath,looks like solid mahogany but only two pieces so should look ok stripped back.

Luckily, 'Lucy' was a bit reliced too, to I don't need it to end up flawless.

It would be great if you could post some pics of your guitar, though!

edited November 2013
    this is what you should see in the cavity, note the solid chunk of maple isn't center joined, that one doesn't actually have a join visible in the pickup cavity

*grabs peg winder and screwdriver*
    if it looks like above you are in luck, a nice clean slab of good quality maple... at least in the centre.   most often you see a join and some mismatch in the colour

Curses, the pickup ring screws are too small for my normal Phillips and too big for my little watchmakers screwdriver.

From the control cavity, there's a definite ridge indicating a thick cap, but it's painted with that graphite shielding stuff, so I don't know what lies beneath...

No - if I'm REALLY in luck there will be 2 mismatched, asymmetrically joined pieces of different colours like the real thing - see Chrisj1602's post above!
    DannyP said:
    No - if I'm REALLY in luck there will be 2 mismatched, asymmetrically joined pieces of different colours like the real thing - see Chrisj1602's post above!
    you won't be that lucky ;)   better to hope for no colour difference so you can fake it
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    DannyP said:

Here's the neck join - hardly Feline, but an interesting twist on a classic!

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric/v100pgm_rear.jpg

Ha! yes, I think Feline should sue :)

Interesting though, especially putting it on a guitar that is meant to be some kind of replica/tribute, but whatever...

its hard to build a les paul without coming to the conclusion the heel could be better designed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Esp and Ltd use a fully carved away heel, so there is no "bump". It's very nice. I think prs might have done the same on some early models? My Ltd is strat shaped, but has a carved heel with no... Er... Seam?

It's great. Although actually, I don't mind a bit of a heel either - it's less nice, but not nasty.

I'd take a feline over a Gibson any day though.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    While you're pretending to be George - why not just 'pretend' the guitar is red, too..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Well, I had a go at it yesterday.

It does seem to have a thick cap - but I'm pretty sure it's mahogany. I'm very cross at JHS/Vintage for specifically telling me by email that this model would have a maple cap, so I may have to write them a stern letter.

Anyway, here's how it's looking so far:

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/p1eces/20131201_100350.jpg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/p1eces/20131201_100314.jpg

• Can't see it that well but that's down to the veneer but there is damage to the veneer in a couple of places? So you going down to the wood next? Oohhh :-SS
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited December 2013

The edge of the veneer was pretty rough owing to factory relicing, but I've gone into it in a bit on the shoulder as shown in the first pic. But yeah, I think I might crack on and take off the veneer.

Looks to be *at least* 2-pieces of ill-matched mahogany.

Any tips getting the bloody bushings out? I've tried clamping the posts with needle nose pliers and levering them which worked with a different guitar in the past, but these ones won't budge.