Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

All The Guitar Cables You've Ever Owned

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I've always loved whirlwind cables, I don't think I've ever had one broke, mine are all lost or stolen now. I've always found Van Damme guitar cables to be crap, they're not cheap and always seem to break.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371

i got a whirlwind leader which i've used for the last 15 years or so,it still does the job with no fuss.

Wolf5150 gave me a lead a while back which really did make a tonal difference, but i think i left it in a venue :( .

• Planet Waves are the only "name brand" cables I've ever had fail too....

Total shite
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    When I started I got through 2 or 3 Venom cables, and then I got one from Award Session with a Neutrik silent jack which is still going strong about 8 years later. 
    If it died irreparably, I would buy another one from Award Session or any of the custom cable builders in the UK, though probably without the silent jack. My patch cables are all the 3-in-a-pack moulded-end Planet Waves ones, and they seem to do the job perfectly well.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    When I played the local pub circuit [in the 1970s], it was a curly lead or a curly lead to connect guitar to amp.  Nothing else was available.  They had poor quality jack plugs, this was pre Neutrik days.  Replacement jack plugs were nothing to write home about either.  I 'built' a cable from an old Shure microphone cable and two replacement jack plugs.  The cable itself was screened four wire, I used two wires each for hot and return.  I soldered the screen to the return [earth] at the amp end and knotted the other end of the cable into a loop which my guitar strap threaded through.  I cannot say it sounded 'great' but it worked and never failed me.  Cheap jack plugs and all.  In those days [before we knew better??], a cable either worked or it didn't.  If it could be repaired, it was.  The possibility of cables having a 'sound' or affecting the perceived sound was only being aired in the hi-fi magazines around that time.  Japanese audiophiles were talking about the benefits of using thick stranded cables for speaker hookup.  It is only very recently that guitar players are considering the possibility that their guitar cable can affect the sound of their instrument.  It only goes to show that what goes round comes round.  Eventually.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    mike_l said:
    I had Venom cable, but they seemed to break easily. I now have Fender, which, so far, have been indestructable.
    I'm a fan of the Fender cables too - the 'Custom Shop' :) badged ones are my favourite, but the Vintage Voltage are fine as well; well-priced, sturdy and they make them in tweed...
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• KaBL ftw. I have a Klotz Pro Artist from guitar to pedalboard, but everything else is from Rob.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• frankus said:
    Some guitarists give their guitars names and I think that's childish and or puerile and or imature.

I give names to my cables.

Chelsea is a 3m long Klotz LaGrange with neutrik jacks including a silent angled jack modded with a planet waves cable tie.
    Summer is a 3m long Klotz LaGrange with neutrik jacks including a silent angled jack modded with a planet waves cable tie.
    Martine is a 3m long Klotz LaGrange with neutrik jacks including a silent angled jack modded with a planet waves cable tie.
    Sinead is a 4m long Fender cloth finish cable.
    Naveen was a 5m whirlwind cable - sadly missed. :(
    Rachael is a 2.5 long Klotz LaGrange with neutrik jacks - one straight one angled.
    Michelle is a 0.5m long midi cable.
    Cassandra is a 3m long viper cable.
    MelB, Stacy, Tracy, Anasaia, Kim, Raquel, Gabrielle - are HiCon jack Sommer Spirit Cable on the Mini-board.
    Tulisa,Anita,Rita,Carol,Emily,Sydney,Priya,Kartika,Abigail,Wendy,Phillipa,Em,Angie,Pat and Allanis are George Ls on the posh board.
    all the rest are named after women who went missing in my area and I'm not about to make a list of their names because that'd be weird ;) :P

Cables have 2 male plugs...do you have a thing for transexuals or something?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think you're putting a little more thought into it than I was... ;)

I don't know if I've a thing for transexuals was Jamie Lee Curtis a transexual? If so then yeah probably - I'm not likely to find out though ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • I like the fender Koil Kord curly lead. It might colour the tone, but for a by-the-sofa guitar and amp it means you never have to worry about getting in a tangle.