Moss's Alternative Music Thread

What's Hot
MossMoss Frets: 2409
I've been thinking of doing this for a while.

On here I will post all of the best new (and newly discovered) stuff from the world of Indie, Alternative, Experimental and Electronic music.

If you find anything similar, feel free to add to the thread!

To start:
I'm really enjoying the new album by Pinkshinyultrablast. They're a Russian shoegaze and noise pop band who sound like a cross between CHVRCHES and My Bloody Valentine. Their new album 'Grandfeathered' came out last Friday on awesome splatter vinyl.

Stop crying, start buying
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    My favourite modern dreampop (or NuGaze, if you will) band by far is Spc Eco. It's Dean Garcia from Curve with his daughter Rose on vocals, plus assorted guest musicians. I'm quite proud that some of their music features some pedals I built.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been quite liking Pinkshinyultrablast (didn't realise it was one word) from hearing them on Radio 6 a good few times but I usually buy CDs in batches when money allows and haven't got  around to getting it yet but probably will.  Although not particularly alternative in a shoegaze way (although I do feel they drift that way in parts) the latest Daughter album is currently getting a lot of play when I'm working and don't need my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fD3PIRSO8

I'm also loving Tricky's current re-emergence and hopefully a bit of a rebirth of Trip Hop.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    @randomhandclaps I'm loving the new Daughter album too - I've got a signed copy after I saw them in Oxford. They're incredibly atmospheric live
  • I bet Moss.  On the first album there are times on songs like Human when I almost don't want the tracks to step up but stay spacious.   It's a bit like a few years back there was the track Whirring by The Joy Formidable.  I bought their album when they were unsigned and the earlier version where it didn't break into the heavy instrumental and it just was sublime.

Between Elena Tonra and Nadine Shah you have some of the best alternate female vocalist since PJ IMO. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    edited March 2016
    This is pretty good - a new side project from Tom Furse, the keyboard player in the Horrors

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9697
    Looking forward to listening to the Horrors side project thing, I loved their first album but not too keen on anything else since as they seemed to completely change direction. Is this project similar to either incarnation of the Horrors?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Looking forward to listening to the Horrors side project thing, I loved their first album but not too keen on anything else since as they seemed to completely change direction. Is this project similar to either incarnation of the Horrors?
    The instrumentation is similar to their latest album but the female vocals work a lot better than Faris's (imho etc.)
    Awesome new single from King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28034
    I gave Pinkwossname a go and rather liked it. Lots of hints of other stuff but a cohesive whole nevertheless. Ta!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Lovin the new King Gizzard!

Recently discovered thier labelmates 'The Murlocs' too, another young Oz band, who have a new LP out.

• ewalewal Frets: 2582

Good to see the Efterklang guys back albeit in a slightly different guise. The Liima album is out today, and I've got tickets to see them in Edinburgh next month. Hope they are as good live as Efterklang were - one of their gigs in particular is very near the top of my mental list of best live music experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfBt0kD6pnk

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience

In terms of new releases, I'm quite enjoying DIIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKbqyuaXolg

And these guys. Anything on Erased Tapes is always worth a spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udwq9fWKwmY

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I just bought my Mrs a couple of LPs for her birthday, one by Arnalds and one by Frahm. She's really into the Erased Tapes stuff and I can't blame her at all.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    I'm a huge Arnalds and Frahm fan - I'm particularly loveing Nil's latest project, Nonkeen

The new NZCA Lines album is utterly genius. Brilliant side project from members of Metronomy, Ash and Hot Chip - truly stunning electro/Alt R&B 

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    If you're not exclusively listening to the new Moderat album on repeat, you're doing music wrong.
    I continue to be amazed by everything this band does (and the lack of recognition they get)

Still getting used to the new album but very much like this live performance of the lead single

• matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    edited April 2016
    ewal said:

And these guys. Anything on Erased Tapes is always worth a spin.

+1 I recently got a bit into Lubomyr Melnyk on the Erased Tapes site, I really like his  collaboration with James Blackshaw, Whose 12 string American Primitive sound is really enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYn7WpgLg48&list=PL5pPVLmO1DWtU3l2hOqxxBKD6Riq069MO

Really great thread by the way, been struggling to find some more esoteric recommendations recently.

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/