Non-Guitar Centric Music

What's Hot

Comments

• kinkin Frets: 1015
    edited December 2015

Cheers @Clarky i'd appreciate some tips, hopefully that link works now. It's only a short  piece as an experiment.

Tried to put together a string arrangement last night, sounds overly busy to me even though there's only cello viola and two violin.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    This was intended as being non-guitar-centric (although it does have a little guitar in it) but it's more about the chord progression and ways to layer the sounds

The keyboard on this track has since died, and the shaker was made of rice in a used squash bottle. I ate the rice for lunch the day after doing the recording.
    that's very nice chord progression.. one of those that you can take in endless directions..
    the moment with the Irish whistle is particularly pretty
    play every note as if it were your first
    kin said:

Edit :Can't seem to get the soundcloud to link at the moment ,so just ignore me.

Tried to put together a string arrangement last night, sounds overly busy to me even though there's only cello viola and two violins.

when you manage to get the clip in here we can take a look.. maybe offer some suggestions..
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    got a tweet this morning advertising two new sound packs by Zero G, called Other Worlds and Zetamorph. 40 odd quid each. I'm debating - the Zetamorph one sounds good/

Anyone any experience of using Zero G stuff?
    This thread needs resurrecting.
    I've just bought Heavyocity's Vocalise. THat's a cracking plugin, pads, melodies, atmospheres, all buiilt off vocal samples. I'm doing a piece that I'#ve put some in, so once finished, will post up.
    is that from native instruments??
    Eyup pal!

Yes, in the 50% off sale they are having. Christ, I had to hold myself back, I nearly splurged on Gravity, and I want some brass stuff too, and a new full orchestra........

Impressed with Vocalise though. Here's an early, unmixed and still in progress version (so all tips gratefully received):

Vocalise is what's doing the female melody line - triggered samples from each key. this is one of a lot of NKIs. THere are I think 4 or 5 melody instruments, you set the key, and each key on the keyoboard triggers a different melody in the root key. And that's just this one part, there is a lot to go at. Seriously impressed. And only £44!
    Snap said:
    Eyup pal!

Yes, in the 50% off sale they are having. Christ, I had to hold myself back, I nearly splurged on Gravity, and I want some brass stuff too, and a new full orchestra........

Impressed with Vocalise though. Here's an early, unmixed and still in progress version (so all tips gratefully received):

Vocalise is what's doing the female melody line - triggered samples from each key. this is one of a lot of NKIs. THere are I think 4 or 5 melody instruments, you set the key, and each key on the keyoboard triggers a different melody in the root key. And that's just this one part, there is a lot to go at. Seriously impressed. And only £44!
    wow… sounds superb.. very trailer style.. especially at the start…

thought.. try burying that vocal line in a massive 8sec long reverb.. could sound really spooky..
    Cheers, I will give that a try. Something u wrote about NI strings above- the modwheel does work for expression. I just noticed!
    interesting… what version of Komplete do you have?
    ultimate 9. I'm not sure if its from a software update, but I noticed that it does work, and hadn't before. This is in Action Strings. reason I noticed is that the default volume on a new instrument was low in the DAW, until I shifted the wheel. Works very well too.
    Snap said:
    ultimate 9. I'm not sure if its from a software update, but I noticed that it does work, and hadn't before. This is in Action Strings. reason I noticed is that the default volume on a new instrument was low in the DAW, until I shifted the wheel. Works very well too.
    ah yes.. I have action strings..
    the strings I was talking about were the regular ones that come with Komplete 9
    @Clarky - regardless of budget, what orchestral plugin would you go for, if there was only one you could have?
    Just finished this

• Snap said:
    Just finished this

That is sweat. Love it....... the acid bassline at the end - the echo on the percussion before the full rhythm kicks in.... reminds me of higher than the sun or orb....
  • I use Logic Pro X - any software solutions for useable Sitar and tampura? I've given up trying to make my guitar sound like one!
    Snap said:
    @Clarky - regardless of budget, what orchestral plugin would you go for, if there was only one you could have?
    I use Cinematic Strings 2 - which is superb sounding and not as difficult to use or as expensive as LASS
    that said, the new Native Instruments Symphony Series strings look amazing
    I may get this at some point
    you can never have too many awesome strings AU's

for brass I have NI Symphony Series brass… absolutely stunning and easy to use..

my choirs are Sound Iron Venus [the girlies] and Mars [the fellas]
    amazing sounding… can be as simple or as complex to use as you have the patience for..

Snap said:
    Just finished this

what vocal AU / plug-in is that…?? it sounds wonderful
    Hi mate, it's ni vocalise. Brilliant. On that track all I used was vocalise and evolve for bass and beats.
    Snap said:
    Hi mate, it's ni vocalise. Brilliant. On that track all I used was vocalise and evolve for bass and beats.
    there are some really nice sounding solo vocal AU's by Sound Iron that I may invest in at some point
    two solo female voice in particular…
    they can sound so haunting… love em

I'm have to check out NI Vocalise… sounds interesting…
    I like NI stuff… always seems to sound great and is so intuitive to use…
    the only down side to some of their s/w instruments is that they can be RAM / CPU hungry
    stood alone that's fine.. but in a piece along with 40 or 50 other instruments they can cause agro..