Thinking of buying an AT10 Ibanez (Timmons)

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
Got my eye on an Ibanez AT10P which is Andy Timmons' signature guitar.

Seem to get good reviews everywhere but I'm a bit anxious about pulling the trigger as I've never in all my years playing owned an Ibanez!!

I'm worried that it could be a little soul-less as it's an Indonesian built guitar built to a budget and built to the Ibanez style - reason I say this is that I had a very brief flirtation with an Atlas guitar built in a very similar manner and region and I just found it extremely sterile, well built, a good looker but just sterile..

Are Ibanez's the same in that manner? Well built, but just that...

I know it's a case of you'll have to play one to make your own mind up but wondering if anyone else here who plays vintagey style guitars such as Strats, LP's and the like find this type of guitar a bit sterile?

It makes me sound like I have something against anything made outside of USA but in all honesty, it's more of a case that I've never really owned anything as such!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8892
    tFB Trader
    The Indonesian Ibby Premiums are outstanding guitars that punch well above their weight. You won't be disappointed with this guitar.

I was going to buy one to replace my old RG870 QMZ but as per usual financial pressure elsewhere crept in. These guitars are flawless in their execution (imo). And I love the AT humbucker and Cruiser pickups.. I owned them in another guitar. Outstanding variety of tones.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    Please do not worry about country of manufacture, I have an ibby premium sr1300, it's the best sounding and built bass I have ever used,  these days who ever is turning on the cnc machine in what part of the world makes no difference, I have a Korean hohner b2b bass which also saw off usa fenders and music men. 

The production processes have come on so much fine the early 90s their is honest no need to go usa apart room bragging rights. 

• MikeBMikeB Frets: 187
    edited April 2017
    First off I'm a huge Timmons fan so I'm not likely to be too critical but I've got two of them! 

The sunburst was the actual one he played in an Andertons video before a clinic a couple of years ago and then I picked up the white model a few months later. 

One is in standard the other Eb, both with a floating trem. 

I really rate them although I did change the trem out as it is one of the cheaper Wilkinson ones. 

Plugged into my Lonestar (yes I know) gives some great clean and low gain tones. They are versatile and the neck profile is nothing like a regular ibanez. Definitely more old school fender and a little like the ibanez js profile if youve played one. 

My two.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4uohf6ic9e880r/2016-08-09%2017.04.56.jpg?raw=1

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    I find most Indonesians to have almost no soul. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3692
    Loobs said:
    I find most Indonesians to have almost no soul. 
    Bit racist. Just because they're a majority Muslim nation doesn't mean they have no soul. God made us all and loves us all.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    Thanks for the advice guys 

So, genuine question, why would I/you choose one of these over a HSS Strat?
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    If you do get one, ill be right over to have a go! Id let you have a go on my prestige but its a different animal entirely..
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 187
    edited April 2017
    welshboyo said:
    Thanks for the advice guys 

So, genuine question, why would I/you choose one of these over a HSS Strat?

Buy a Fender for the resale value and for the ability to mod if that's your thing. Sonically, it will be down to personal preference with either Fenders HSS offerings or the Ibanez with the Dimarzio combo. Equally, since the Dimarzios Cruisers are side by side poles there no 60 cycle hum issues to contend with.

Play both if you can.