Fender - Special Editions and FSRs

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10074
From time to time Fender produce limited runs of, what appear to be, small variations to their existing range. (For instance a couple of years back they turned out some Classic 50s and 60s Strats in non-standard colours.) As far as I see, these specials do not turn up on their website. Is there anywhere where I can see current and upcoming specials?
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    These special runs are usually dealer specific.  A dealer will make the special order, and sell the variation as an exclusive. Sweetwater and PGS do this regularly, as do Thomann in Europe. 

as its dealer specific, you need to keep an eye on dealer websites, rather than manufacturer websites. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I have one of these.

My Tele is part of a small run (300 or so) that were made in 1994 to celebrate the 40th anniversary ...of the Stratocaster!

It has no Strat appointments and doesn't have a typical Strat colour scheme or anything - so quite what's Stratty about it, I just don't know! But it's a 40th anniversary (of the Stratocaster) Telecaster all the same...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    edited April 2017
    Also some FSR'a are just things sold in other countries & not elsewhere. The Fender Kotzen Strat for example. 

Gibson seem to do a lot with American dealers. I'd no idea that there was a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Floyd Rose!!! But they made some for Guitar Centre I think.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10074
    TheMarlin said:
    These special runs are usually dealer specific.  A dealer will make the special order, and sell the variation as an exclusive. Sweetwater and PGS do this regularly, as do Thomann in Europe. 

as its dealer specific, you need to keep an eye on dealer websites, rather than manufacturer websites. 
    So how guitars does a dealer need to order for Fender to do a special run? If, say, twenty FretBoarders  decided they'd all like to own a surf green Classic 50s Tele with a modern radius board would it happen?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    Yes, for a small fortune.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Factory Special Run. 

They are usually spec'd up by the product team, or in some cases by dealers, and offered as limited models. 

This year I've put together the spec for many of the Euro FSR models that we should see between July and December. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    MattFGBI said:
    Factory Special Run. 

They are usually spec'd up by the product team, or in some cases by dealers, and offered as limited models. 

This year I've put together the spec for many of the Euro FSR models that we should see between July and December. 
    @MattFGBI May I ask how pricing is
    decided? In Japan the Kotzen Strat & Tele are the same retail. In the UK, there's £600 difference? It seems a lot.  
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited April 2017
    That was decided before my time in this job so I can't be sure I'm afraid. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• ParkerParker Frets: 961
    MattFGBI said:
    That was decided before my time in this job so I can't be sure I'm afraid. 

Someone has to ask - any exclusive previews allowed?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 765
    Parker said:
    Someone has to ask - any exclusive previews allowed?
    What? ..and have the entire FSR run pre-sold before it hits the dealers....now what good would that do??? ;)

Er, wait a minute... ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:

endorse that - also runs are done for various major shows like the NAMM Show in LA each year - from time they might be commissioned by a distributor abroad be it UK or EU etc

Big stores in the USA like Guitar Centre with over 100 branches by commission a run of say a Strat in 4 colours with unique based features, be it colour, scratchplate, pick-ups etc - say 250 in each colour so 1000 piece run
  • a few months ago i picked up an FSR telecaste, which originated from andertons. it was nice, a mexican one in blonde, it had the knobs reversed so the switch was the other way round. it was a nice guitar but i ended up returning it to the seller as someone had scratched out the serial number. even though it was proven legit and not stolen, i didnt fancy having to explain that if i came to sell it on