Redsound Handmade FRFR cabs from Italy - these sound good

What's Hot

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Mine has just arrived back from Thomann...not sure whether they repaired it or whether Red Sound replaced under warranty...will find out when I get home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Looking forward to seeing how they sound compared to the Headrush FrFrs - think the video I posted was good to give an idea, but you can never tell until you hear it yourself.

Also interesting reading the comments about the feel of the RedSounds being good as well...
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    I’ve just received my padded cover for the LG12 from Hotcovers. Perfect fit and great quality for just under £50.
    If these cabs keep getting the great reviews they could become the industry standard for FRFR...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I didn't think they were FrFr though..?
    FarleyUK said:
    That’s me just showing my ignorance
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    No worries mate! I only picked up on it as I've spent the last two days reading up everywhere on them...!
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    edited May 2019
    FarleyUK said:
    Given the speaker configuration (single 12" driver with some kind of HF enhancements fitted around the central cap area, I cant see how it could possibly get anywhere close to the claimed 60 - 16 KHz +/- 3dB response. Its obviously "flat enough" between 75Hz and 7 KHz to work for guitar amp / speaker modelling.
    There’s a very similar Redsound discussion going on in the Kemper thread...
    Copied from my post in the Kemper thread, as it's pertinent to this thread...

OK, so they arrived....

Firstly, BIG shout-out and thanks to Peter at ClearSound - he drove round the M25 to personally deliver them to me. Top, top bloke and a pleasure to deal with!

They look great, and are very well constructed; the sound itself is much thicker and 'fatter' than the Headrush FrFr speakers. It does seem to sound more like a cab as well, including all the issues that brings; for example, I've had to reduce my EQ cut to 6kHz now instead of 7,000. ALso a lot boomier, so have increased the low cut to 120Hz.

But yes, they do sound very nice indeed - will be using them at the gig tonight so will upload some vids tomorrow of how they sound in the mix.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Frets: 74
    I’ll just add that my first experience at rehearsal last night with the Redsound was great. Much more like a guitar cab should sound. My presets weren’t radically changed to accommodate it so the FOH sound should still be pretty much as it was before. 

After 18 months going direct and just having a PA speaker as monitor in front of me I’ve got to the stage where I’m totally happy with having embraced that approach.  However I have been missing that feeling of my onstage sound blending more naturally with the rest of the band. I think this could be the last piece of the puzzle. 

I only had made minimal tweaks to my Helix patches since getting the cab from Peter last week and it already sounds great. With a bit more time spent on that I’m sure this will only improve further. 

Stinkfoot said:
    I’ll just add that my first experience at rehearsal last night with the Redsound was great. Much more like a guitar cab should sound. My presets weren’t radically changed to accommodate it so the FOH sound should still be pretty much as it was before. 

After 18 months going direct and just having a PA speaker as monitor in front of me I’ve got to the stage where I’m totally happy with having embraced that approach.  However I have been missing that feeling of my onstage sound blending more naturally with the rest of the band. I think this could be the last piece of the puzzle. 

I only had made minimal tweaks to my Helix patches since getting the cab from Peter last week and it already sounds great. With a bit more time spent on that I’m sure this will only improve further. 

Out of interest, what did you change? I'm assuming some EQ settings?
    Basically yes that’s it. I rolled off a bit of bass on the amp settings. I also tried going back to an Ownhammer IR I was using a while back. It’s based on a Fender Deluxe Jensen P12. It seemed to sound sweeter through the Redsound than through the DXR10. I had been defaulting to a 3Sigma 2x12 IR before  but think I prefer the Ownhammer one again now. *

*Obviously I’ll keep changing my opinion on this at least once a week!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    OK, here's a brief vid from the gig last night. Using a TopJimi Caswell AFD profile (think this was a greenback one), Kemper stereo out at -20 going into 2 RedSound cabs set to 8 out of 10 on volume. The camera is set BEHIND the cabs as well...

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23950
    What are the iPads for?
    What are the iPads for?
    Controlling the PA and each in ear mix. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23950
    Nice!
    @FarleyUK Hope you found the onstage experience with them as good as I have. 

First gig with the Redsound tonight and it was just what I’d hoped for. Just like having my old amp on stage again....but better! None of the treble ‘beam’, but instead a very nice dispersion of sound. The Helix has honestly never sounded better. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Great stuff!
    Yeah, very happy - didn't need much (of any) guitar in my in ear mix either. 

Incidentally, anyone know where I can get covers for the rack slanted cabs from?