The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4851
    We were never asked if we wanted soft or hard Brexit in the referendum.
    Just leave or remain.
    If the Referendum had been
    stay
    soft
    hard

I wonder what the outcome would have been?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    octatonic said:
    Yes, because it is going SOOOOOO well.
    Inflation up, pound down, not enough nurses coming in to work in the NHS and a weak, unstable government that is the laughing stock of Europe.
    My point exactly not really what they voted for eh? 

FYI I voted remain.

capo4th reminds me of an internal troll, a sort of performance artist I guess, who used to frequent a forum I was on 15 years ago.

I'm just never quite sure if they are serious, since the posts seem to be some sort of AI Daily Mail regurgitator.
    I don't read the Daily Mail I always thought it was a newspaper for old people or idiots who couldn't handle a broadsheet.
    Just leave or remain.
    stay
    soft
    hard

That would have been too much information for many of the voters.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    capo4th said:
    Just leave or remain.
    stay
    soft
    hard

That would have been too much information for many of the voters.
    That's exactly the point, I think. It was never a suitable question for a referendum. in fact, it's the type of question which should have been voted on by, oh I don't know, elected representatives? Experts, basically, each of them with at least one case worker to undergo research, to help them arrive at an informed opinion.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25494
    capo4th said:
    My bad @Emp_Fab my level of detail had been clouded by red wine, although you knew exactly what I meant however your pedantic little pie chart explains everything clearly for everyone. Good find chap.

52% of the vote 17million versus 16 million it is the will of the British people. Brexit means Brexit.

its the one year anniversary of Brexit today well done to all the people who voted Brexit.

"My bad" ????!!!!!   Bloody Americanisms.

1. It's not MY pie chart
    2. It's not pedantry to point out the factual error in your statement.
    3. It is still clearly NOT the "will of the British people" at all.  "The British people" does not mean "just over half of those who were eligible to vote and did so".  To refer to it as "The will of the British People" suggests a far more convincing result than was actually the case.  Would you still refer to it as such if the final result was a single vote in favour of remain ?  Would that be "The will" of the people ?  Or would that be a blind determination to see things simplistically in black and white and, dare I say it, pedantic ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24996
    capo4th said:
    I don't read the Daily Mail I always thought it was a newspaper for old people or idiots who couldn't handle a broadsheet.
    You may not be aware of this - but there aren't any broadsheets any more....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    richardhomer said:

It's so long since I read a physical daily newspaper that I didn't know that. The good Sundays are still full-size though as far as I know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    capo4th said:
    Er ... there are
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2659
    tFB Trader
    Emp_Fab said:
    capo4th said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    Brexit and the referendum vote has led to massive uncertainty and stalled investment not really sure why you would dispute that fact.

Because it is irrelevant. We've had chronic levels of investment in start-ups for decades. And while we're on the subject of Brexit it was your glorious leader Cameron who decided to have a referendum and then ran what was, at the time, the worst campaign in living memory. Then along came May and she though "I can do better" and by God she did ... from a massive lead in the polls to neck and neck with a guy whose own party tried to get rid of him. The worst campaign in living memory, a series of straplines that could have been written for a Monty Python sketch and then disaster .. a hung parliament. She's more hated than Thatcher which is an achivement. And tonight she's in Brussels with everyone laughing behind her back. And you vote for these people.
    52% of the British people voted Brexit it is the will of the British people.
    To paraphrase @Fretwired, 'Utter Bollocks'....

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit-leave-remain-52-48-per-cent-voter-turnout-electoral-register-charts-7399226

I love charts like this, what it actually shows is that 17m voted to leave, 16m voted to stay and 31m did not care enough about our relationship with the EU to register or vote.

also baring in mind the UK has a population of 65m, I expect that most of the 18m not on the register are probably not allowed to vote/be on the register, so your pie chart just got allot smaller.

So that leaves 17.4m voted to leave and 12.9m did not care enough either way and only 1/3 of those eligible to vote definitely wanted to remain
    Emp_Fab said:
    capo4th said:
    My bad @Emp_Fab my level of detail had been clouded by red wine, although you knew exactly what I meant however your pedantic little pie chart explains everything clearly for everyone. Good find chap.

52% of the vote 17million versus 16 million it is the will of the British people. Brexit means Brexit.

its the one year anniversary of Brexit today well done to all the people who voted Brexit.

"My bad" ????!!!!!   Bloody Americanisms.

1. It's not MY pie chart
    2. It's not pedantry to point out the factual error in your statement.
    3. It is still clearly NOT the "will of the British people" at all.  "The British people" does not mean "just over half of those who were eligible to vote and did so".  To refer to it as "The will of the British People" suggests a far more convincing result than was actually the case.  Would you still refer to it as such if the final result was a single vote in favour of remain ?  Would that be "The will" of the people ?  Or would that be a blind determination to see things simplistically in black and white and, dare I say it, pedantic ?
    I think if we could wind back the clock 12 months people would vote for cheaper red wine and cheaper Fender stratocasters. I am failing to see any benefits of Brexit whatsoever. 

capo4th said:
    Broadsheets Richard proper newspapers it's a term of phrase. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4992
    capo4th said:
    <snip>
    I think if we could wind back the clock 12 months people would vote for cheaper red wine and cheaper Fender stratocasters. I am failing to see any benefits of Brexit whatsoever. 
    That's because you're not an ultra-right wing authoritarian who needed Brexit and the emotional response to it, and the lack of clear thinking about it, in order to hijack the Conservative party (and the country) in the only way you could, nor are you one of the uber-rich, ex-pat, non-dom oligarchs who paid for it (looking on it as an investment for their personal future). If you were, you'd be feeling quite pleased with yourself, but slightly worried that it won't go through in the way you hoped for. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    capo4th said:

But you must have a house in France - every wealthy Tory worth his salt has a house in France or Tuscany .. so you'll be OK. Quaffing the local sun and eating cheese in the warm afternoon sun without a chav in sight.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • capo4th said:

capo4th said:

No, it's not. 

Anyone who reads any newspaper would say it's a, "proper newspaper". Of course, given that we now have access to live, as-it-happens news (often including first-hand imagery) it makes you wonder what purpose a newspaper serves full stop. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    capo4th said:

capo4th said:

No, it's not. 

Anyone who reads any newspaper would say it's a, "proper newspaper". Of course, given that we now have access to live, as-it-happens news (often including first-hand imagery) it makes you wonder what purpose a newspaper serves full stop. 
    It's flipping handy for covering surfaces when painting, and doing odd jobs.

And it's well handy for starting a fire when incinerating the garden rubbish. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2065
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    Maybe your into the wrong kind of tech?

Companies I have an interest in are doing very well and I can only base my opinion on my experience.
    You must be investing in established businesses .. very little risk and a known track record. I doubt you would have touched Amazon, Google or Facebook on day one. The fact these companies could attract seed corn funding is one reason the US does better than us. 

And I know a lot about tech as I built several tech companies and floated one on NASDAQ ... I am currently involved a few small start-ups .. its hard to raise cash in the U

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh that's grand.  May has just done a deal with the Demented Union of Prehistorics and she's bought their support with £1Billion of our money.  Dig deep folks, your taxes are now helping the MegaloMayniac cling to power.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oh that's grand.  May has just done a deal with the Demented Union of Prehistorics and she's bought their support with £1Billion of our money.  Dig deep folks, your taxes are now helping the MegaloMayniac cling to power.
    Pertinent to point out what constitutes electoral fraud for the great unwashed. 

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/149729/List-of-electoral-offences.pdf

However when it comes to Parliament and buying votes...