The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30129
    BREXTERMINATE! BREXTERMINATE!
    I'm calling this as a potential headline in a month and a bit.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Ironic that it's not a May election....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247
    Fretwired said:
    MrBump said:
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

May's ratings are quite high actually. Tim isn't much higher than Corbyn. I bet Clegg wishes he never resigned - he'd do much better than Tim. I really can't stand the bloke - he's an Evangelical Christian .. 
    I fully agree with you on Farron - although May's ratings being so high is more to do with Corbyn and Farron than any great appreciation of her leadership, I think. In a field of more than one credible candidate she wouldn't be doing anywhere near as well. I am also deeply suspicious of her, as you know. In my opinion she's devious and dishonest, and entirely motivated by her own ambition.
    I don't agree.  At all.  If you're going to base your voting on a single character flaw, there's slim pickings in parliament... Farron is OK. I've seen and heard lots from him, and never once felt that he was beating me over the head with Christianity.
    What? A leader who says "Maybe God’s plan is for me to lose a bunch of elections and be humbled" .. doesn't fill you with confidence does it?

Extract from a Guardian interview:

Farron believes that everyone will go to either heaven or hell. “I think the Bible is clear. Everybody has something coming after.” As a non-believer, will I go to hell? “Well, it’s not for me to make that judgement. It’s a real cop-out, this one, but Abraham says: ‘Will not the judge of all things do right?’ And at the end, no one will disagree with the justice of what God has done.”

Asked if he consulted God when considering whether to stand for the party leadership. “Of course you do, of course you do. Obviously you ask for His guidance.” Does he think God has a plan for him? “I think He has a plan for everybody.” I’m not sure what that means. “Well, God is sovereign. Dreadful things happen in this world, but that reminds us that we need a saviour. I don’t go round fixating that God has some major plan for me. Maybe his plan is for me to lose a bunch of elections and be humbled. God’s plan could be that some pretty brutal things happen to you. But the one thing I fall back on is that God’s overall plan is good.”

How does a leader of a pro-liberal party square his illiberal faith?

Sorry, but anyone with that sort of faith in a dodgy book and a friend in the sky won't be getting my vote.

But... so what?  So what if he has a faith in God?  Lots of people do.  Lots don't.  

Everyone has a motivation, some of them are overt, some less so.  What does it actually mean that a leader of a political party has some sort of faith in - I'm assuming - a largly God-less party?  To me that sounds like a broad church (no pun intended) that's inclusive of ideas and tolerant.  That's more the society that I want than anything Tory or Labour parties are offering...

I don't have a faith, but lots of people to, and to exclude a fundamentally sensible political party just because of the apolitical belief of their leader doesn't seem right.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Rocker said:
    Personally, I'm just looking forward to needling our local Green Party candidate again. Sure, it's like kicking small children, but I just can't help myself...

They never call now. Not after the bollocking I gave the candidate over the Windfarms issue..
    I'm sure you did, what with being interrupted from a day of snooker on the telly, reminiscing about the days when girls and boys actually *looked* like girls and boys :grin:

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    Rocker said:
    Personally, I'm just looking forward to needling our local Green Party candidate again. Sure, it's like kicking small children, but I just can't help myself...

They never call now. Not after the bollocking I gave the candidate over the Windfarms issue..
    I'm sure you did, what with being interrupted from a day of snooker on the telly, reminiscing about the days when girls and boys actually *looked* like girls and boys :grin:
    They've got women reffing in the snooker nowadays - it's a model of equality!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2804
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    MrBump said:
    Fretwired said:
    MrBump said:
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

May's ratings are quite high actually. Tim isn't much higher than Corbyn. I bet Clegg wishes he never resigned - he'd do much better than Tim. I really can't stand the bloke - he's an Evangelical Christian .. 
    I fully agree with you on Farron - although May's ratings being so high is more to do with Corbyn and Farron than any great appreciation of her leadership, I think. In a field of more than one credible candidate she wouldn't be doing anywhere near as well. I am also deeply suspicious of her, as you know. In my opinion she's devious and dishonest, and entirely motivated by her own ambition.
    I don't agree.  At all.  If you're going to base your voting on a single character flaw, there's slim pickings in parliament... Farron is OK. I've seen and heard lots from him, and never once felt that he was beating me over the head with Christianity.
    What? A leader who says "Maybe God’s plan is for me to lose a bunch of elections and be humbled" .. doesn't fill you with confidence does it?

Farron believes that everyone will go to either heaven or hell. “I think the Bible is clear. Everybody has something coming after.” As a non-believer, will I go to hell? “Well, it’s not for me to make that judgement. It’s a real cop-out, this one, but Abraham says: ‘Will not the judge of all things do right?’ And at the end, no one will disagree with the justice of what God has done.”

Asked if he consulted God when considering whether to stand for the party leadership. “Of course you do, of course you do. Obviously you ask for His guidance.” Does he think God has a plan for him? “I think He has a plan for everybody.” I’m not sure what that means. “Well, God is sovereign. Dreadful things happen in this world, but that reminds us that we need a saviour. I don’t go round fixating that God has some major plan for me. Maybe his plan is for me to lose a bunch of elections and be humbled. God’s plan could be that some pretty brutal things happen to you. But the one thing I fall back on is that God’s overall plan is good.”

Sorry, but anyone with that sort of faith in a dodgy book and a friend in the sky won't be getting my vote.

But... so what?  So what if he has a faith in God?  Lots of people do.  Lots don't.  

Everyone has a motivation, some of them are overt, some less so.  What does it actually mean that a leader of a political party has some sort of faith in - I'm assuming - a largly God-less party?  To me that sounds like a broad church (no pun intended) that's inclusive of ideas and tolerant.  That's more the society that I want than anything Tory or Labour parties are offering...

I don't have a faith, but lots of people to, and to exclude a fundamentally sensible political party just because of the apolitical belief of their leader doesn't seem right.
    What's his view on gay rights? Appearing on Channel 4 News, Tim Farron was asked three times if he believes homosexual sex is a sin. Three times, he didn't give a direct answer, instead choosing to say "my firm belief is we are all sinners".

If the UK is attacked would he vote to retaliate? Some older people who live in pain want the right to end their lives - he is against this? How can he square his faith with the real world? He seems to want God to help him every step of the way.

My problem with someone as deeply religious as Tim is their ability to formulate policies to combat real world problemss that aren't influenced by faith.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Just heard the Kremlin IT staff have had all leave cancelled. 
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    MrBump said:
    Fretwired said:
    MrBump said:
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

What's his view on gay rights? Appearing on Channel 4 News, Tim Farron was asked three times if he believes homosexual sex is a sin. Three times, he didn't give a direct answer, instead choosing to say "my firm belief is we are all sinners".

If the UK is attacked would he vote to retaliate? Some older people who live in pain want the right to end their lives - he is against this? How can he square his faith with the real world? He seems to want God to help him every step of the way.

My problem with someone as deeply religious as Tim is their ability to formulate policies to combat real world problemss that aren't influenced by faith.
    That's a great example.  If he has a belief on homosexuality that's illiberal, but is ensconsed in a party that's know for its openness, tolerance and liberal beliefs, then that's the party working extremely well, in my view.  And as a leader he's able to consolidate his personal beliefs with those of his party.  Job well done.
    Mark de Manbey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    MrBump said:

That's a great example.  If he has a belief on homosexuality that's illiberal, but is ensconsed in a party that's know for its openness, tolerance and liberal beliefs, then that's the party working extremely well, in my view.  And as a leader he's able to consolidate his personal beliefs with those of his party.  Job well done.
    Nope. It's weak leadership - he doesn't believe in party policy. There are a lot of Lib Dems unhappy with him and the country as a whole don't like him. Keep him by all means but you need a strong leader who doesn't get mocked for his faith. When the BBC has a pop at him questions should be asked about his ability to take the fight to the Tories. Charles Kennedy was the last leader who engaged with the public. Clegg was pretty good until he dumped his principles in the Thames and got into bed with Cameron.

Fretwired said:
    MrBump said:

Nope. It's weak leadership - he doesn't believe in party policy. There are a lot of Lib Dems unhappy with him and the country as a whole don't like him. Keep him by all means but you need a strong leader who doesn't get mocked for his faith. When the BBC has a pop at him questions should be asked about his ability to take the fight to the Tories. Charles Kennedy was the last leader who engaged with the public. Clegg was pretty good until he dumped his principles in the Thames and got into bed with Cameron.
    I don't get that - why weak leadership?  I'm a LibDem member, I've heard no dissatisfaction. 
    Mark de Manbey

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16465
    Fretwired said:
    MrBump said:

yeah but that was only to say "who you callin' a drun'? I'll take the lot a ya" before collapsing semi comatose on a park bench.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    MrBump said:
    Fretwired said:
    MrBump said:

I don't get that - why weak leadership?  I'm a LibDem member, I've heard no dissatisfaction. 
    The lack of progress and poor poll ratings .. if the Lib Dems do poorly in June's election I think he'll go .. polls like this from 2016

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tim-farrons-leadership-flatlining-among-voters-poll-reveals-a3349046.html

VimFuego said:
    Fretwired said:
    MrBump said:

yeah but that was only to say "who you callin' a drun'? I'll take the lot a ya" before collapsing semi comatose on a park bench.
    :-)

I remember him on QT when he was drunk .. Dimbleby had to repeat a question ..

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    ESchap said:
    Just heard the Kremlin IT staff have had all leave cancelled. 

They've got the XBox One version of Monty on the Run to finish presumably. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Well, there's one good thing come out of this.

Daily Mash has produced some of it's best work to date:

"LABOUR MPs are to spend the next seven weeks updating their CVs and talking to recruitment agencies.

As the general election starting gun is fired the party leadership has ordered an all-out effort by MPs to start looking for other jobs.

Leader Jeremy Corbyn said “There are some terrific opportunities out there. I’m really interested in fashion and the media so it would be great if I could find an opening that combined the two.”

Shadow home secretary Diane Abbott said: “I’ve held senior positions within a large organisation for the last two years and have shown initiative and team leadership skills. I enjoy motivating others and I thrive under pressure.”

Deputy leader Tom Watson is set to return to his previous career of hauling unconscious drunks from the toilets in Colchester’s seventh most successful nightclub.

Meanwhile, former shadow foreign secretary Hilary Benn has dug a large hole in his back garden where he intends to stay until the end of the year."

"THE timing of the snap election proves that the shit will have seriously hit the fan by May 2020, experts have confirmed.

Analyst Denys Finch-Hatton said the only good reason for Theresa May to go to the country now is if Britain will be ‘so fucked post-Brexit that people might even vote Corbyn’.

He added: “Facing no opposition in parliament, high in the polls with the media behind her, May has no motive for this election unless she’s seen the same doom-laden projections I have.

“She’s obviously calculated that a vote now, while there are still schools and before NHS doctors tell you to bite down on a rag while they saw your leg off, offers more chance of victory.

“If she wins this one she’s fine until 2022, by which time the population will have halved and legalising vigilante mobs will be the key electoral issue.

“Or hey, maybe it’ll all be fine. That could happen too.”"

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    Just heard Abbott on the radio.

She's going to have to have one almighty fucker of a migraine for Labour to stand a chance.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    scrumhalf said:
    Just heard Abbott on the radio.

She's going to have to have one almighty fucker of a migraine for Labour to stand a chance.
    Is that the excuse she'll use when Jezzer is getting a bit randy?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    Fretwired said:
    ICBM said:

Do it. Tim Nice But Dim isn't actually any worse than Corbyn or May.
    does he believe in Flat Earth?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    He'll believe in anything that gets a vote...