NHS cyber attack ..

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13676
    Fretwired said:

Something really big for UK national security has happened here, I'm fascinated to find out what the full story is.
    Sadly I doubt we'll ever know. GCHQ and MI5 will restrict what we get told. I guess the perpetrators may surface on the net at some point if it's to make a political point.
    Yes, possibly.  Sounds paranoid but given apparently attacks are Europe-wide, Putin might have just moved his first pawn...

As I said, maybe I'm paranoid <orders factor two million sun block>... ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Is this the IT system that the Labour Party spent £11 billion implementing into our hospitals. 

They should have used Mcafee security it's only £15 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited May 2017
    Fretwired said:

Something really big for UK national security has happened here, I'm fascinated to find out what the full story is.
    Sadly I doubt we'll ever know. GCHQ and MI5 will restrict what we get told. I guess the perpetrators may surface on the net at some point if it's to make a political point.
    Yes, possibly.  Sounds paranoid but given apparently attacks are Europe-wide, Putin might have just moved his first pawn...

As I said, maybe I'm paranoid <orders factor two million sun block>...
    Not Putin ... Russia is under attack .. unless ....

Russia attacks UK and Europe ... UK and US attack Russia .. beginning of WW3 ....

I sound like the Emperor now ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    capo4th said:
    Is this the IT system that the Labour Party spent £11 billion implementing into our hospitals. 

No .. that got scrapped ..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    ICBM said:

The question is which party will benefit, and how has whoever did this calculated that they will?
    Yeah, it's a tricky one. On the face of it the party that would be most keen on diversifying the NHS (Tories), making it several smaller targets would benefit most, but they are also the incumbents so any serious failure will reflect badly on them. 

If there weren't an election coming up the conspiracy theorists would say it was a Tory plot to give them ammunition for breaking the NHS up but I don't think it's going to do them any favours right now.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

Oh yeah I forgot another £11 billion wasted by the Labour Party the party of waste!
    capo4th said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

Oh yeah I forgot another £11 billion wasted by the Labour Party the party of waste!
    Worse - the contract stipulated that the contractor be paid for fives years after the contract was terminated. The amount lost is nearer £14 billion last time I checked. I wrote a magazine article about it.

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    capo4th said:
    Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

Labour's proportion of wastage is probably not much different to the Tories. They were just spending more so that proportion would translate to a larger amount.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2778
    Doubt it is targeting the NHS at all...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18303
    tFB Trader
    quarky said:
    Doubt it is targeting the NHS at all...
    Indeed it may just be that the NHS haven't been patching their machines.
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Fretwired said:
    This guy is a doctor .. doesn't look good ...

His Trust should have a DR plan where order comms are manually placed and results are phoned through.  

Some applications are standalone pathlabs usually are, desktops are different especially if the Trust has gone for a VDI solution.

Ideally, a Trust should be able to manage for a week.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5619
    To paraphrase a comment I saw on the Guardian's facebook page - "they're going after the NHS because they want money? ahahahahahah"

But seriously, this looks bad and I hope they can find a solution quick, and that hopefully the political spin on it will be minimal.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Incidents in Russia & China, plus many more countries ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Apparently experts now say its not an attack on the NHS .. it's now starting to affect companies (which don't often like to admit they're being hit) and is spreading around Europe fast ... looking more like criminals.

• RolandRoland Frets: 9082
    ICBM said:
    If it was deliberately targetted, I'm betting that it will be politically motivated too - to damage the NHS in the run-up to a general election.

The question is which party will benefit, and how has whoever did this calculated that they will?

Or is it a more general attempt to cause fear and doubt, and if so who would that benefit?

Or am I too paranoid?
    The timing is also designed to grab news coverage throughout the weekend.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5822
    edited May 2017
    We should be demanding action that will keep us safe. Hopefully they've got a new and improved Snoopers Charter Mk2 on standby that's ready to go.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    ICBM said:
    If it was deliberately targetted, I'm betting that it will be politically motivated too - to damage the NHS in the run-up to a general election.

Or is it a more general attempt to cause fear and doubt, and if so who would that benefit?

Or am I too paranoid?
    The timing is also designed to grab news coverage throughout the weekend.
    This is bad news for the Tories ... even Corbyn should be able to land some blows. And here's some ammo for him:

Patient Ron Grimshaw tells the BBC of what happened to him in the past few hours at the Lister Hospital in East Herts. He says:

"I was in the middle of a MRI scan which was suddenly terminated and I was taken out of the machine.

"I was told of the suspected cyber-attack.

"I was told to wait to see if the systems could be restored but that turned out to be not possible so I had to get dressed and return home, 15 miles away,to await a possible message to return to complete the examination.

"I also had cancel a X-Ray appointment that I was due to have there today."

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5619
    Freebird said:
    We should be demanding action to keep us safe. Hopefully they'll have a new and improved Snoopers Charter Mk2 version ready to go.
    They did but the draft bill has been locked up in ransomware.

If only...

Seriously though, this'll just spur more calls from clueless MPs to "ban encryption."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Freebird said:
    We should be demanding action that will keep us safe. Hopefully they've got a new and improved Snoopers Charter Mk2 on standby, and ready to go.
    Undoubtedly ...

This sort of attack is really hard to stop, clearly an exploit to get the bastid in.  Badly configured Firewalls, USB ports (memory sticks), Email phishing, even Appliances (I worked somewhere (no names) that had a major trojan infection that was traced down to new networked printers - the trojan came from the factory !) - any or all of these can be the cause.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Have they tried turning it off, then restarting it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom