What's Hot

Comments

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    darius said:
    mike257 said:
    darius said:
    Musicwolf said:
    darius said:
    SSL crazy price reduction (from an ultra crazy high price admittedly). Channel strip and Bus comp.

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/sslupgrade?fbclid=IwAR1lK-2KY-MBoxHlQOBHXSpAWKofP_L58kjI-uFnBThvPHMkrq1g0U0dj-A
    I've just purchased it after seeing the link on the SoS forum.  I've only tried it for 5 min before nipping out but well worth £50 (although I wouldn't have been too impressed at the full price).  It's the sort of effect that, when you can hear it, it means that you've gone too far.

Do you mean the Channel strip or the Bus comp?
     I’ve managed to slowly build up my collection of the SSL plugins by waiting for them to be free or big discounts. 2 were free with the SSL2 interface. not sure I need the channel strip, I guess it would be used for mainly vocal inputs? and I’ve got all the stuff on it in separate plugins already. 
    I have the Waves SSL E Channel strip, not the actual SSL version, but it pretty much gets inserted on every channel as a starting point for me. The EQ is great and the expander/gate and channel comp are both very useable. I prefer a console-style workflow of actually having the basic processing to grab at on every channel without having to pick out plugins every time for the basics, and it does that neatly in one plugin that isn't too heavy on the CPU. 

For my low level home recording stuff, I use the SSL Vocalstrip but only in post. I put very little on the tracking input, always worried I'll filter out stuff! So not sure how often I would actually print while running a channel strip on the input.
    Hmmm.

I'm not printing it when tracking either - if I had this stuff in hardware, and a monitoring setup I was happier with, different story, but while I'm working purely virtual I'm keeping my options open! 

A guy from a band I tour manage has a tremendous home studio setup, a load of Chandler preamps and limiters, some Pultec EQ and a bunch of other tasty bits. Tracks to tape too. He's got hardware chains properly figured out for all his sources, and commits to loads of sonic decisions on the way in, but when you've got hardware like that you can make those moves! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    SSL Native bundle £49...from £450 !....finishes today !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    Plugin Alliance Deskew Gig Performer 3 $70 this weekend with code DESKEW-6999

Looks like a useful tool for live sounds
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I’m trialling the Gig Performer demo- looks ideal for developing jamming ideas with your VSTs . I’ve got superior drummer, ezbass, a mic feeding vocals effects chain and guitar into s-gear. Just need to find an audio looper vst to allow guitar riff ideas to be captured and looped. Sale price ends tonight.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2021
    mrkb said:
    I’m trialling the Gig Performer demo- looks ideal for developing jamming ideas with your VSTs . I’ve got superior drummer, ezbass, a mic feeding vocals effects chain and guitar into s-gear. Just need to find an audio looper vst to allow guitar riff ideas to be captured and looped. Sale price ends tonight.
    A DAW is also an audio looper, try the perpetual Reaper demo version.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    My baseless conspiracy theory is that rather than develop their own software,  SSL put their own skin around the BX plugins.
    Freebird said:
    mrkb said:
    A DAW is also an audio looper, try the perpetual Reaper demo version.
    I do use reaper, but dont find the workflow that good for jamming out tunes. Gig performer seems to have less latency compared to reaper, and I guess Im not as bothered about the odd drop out either of I try to lower it more.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • revsorg said:
    My baseless conspiracy theory is that rather than develop their own software,  SSL put their own skin around the BX plugins.
    Wouldn't be the first time.

You can get a lot of DSP algorithms for free from places such as https://www.musicdsp.org/en/latest/ .... then you slap a GUI on them, charge $49.99, and make some cashola.

Also whilst we're at it, can everyone please stop falling for the Clipper Plugin Hype ??? Wanna know what a clipping plugin does????

if sample > threshold:
    sample = threshold

That's it. Stop buying overpriced cack pushed by Youtubers!!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    mrkb said:
    I do use reaper, but dont find the workflow that good for jamming out tunes. Gig performer seems to have less latency compared to reaper, and I guess Im not as bothered about the odd drop out either of I try to lower it more.
    Do you make use of Regions? I find it makes sketching out entire arrangements really easy, and I have a bunch of templates that get me up and running in seconds.
    Freebird said:
    mrkb said:
    Do you make use of Regions? I find it makes sketching out entire arrangements really easy, and I have a bunch of templates that get me up and running in seconds.
    Thanks. No I havent investigated those , will check that out and also spend time setting up vst chains for guitar, Bass, vocals, etc to make setting up quicker.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited March 2021
    mrkb said:
    Freebird said:
    Thanks. No I havent investigated those , will check that out and also spend time setting up vst chains for guitar, Bass, vocals, etc to make setting up quicker.
    If you are worried about CPU issues, keep your plugins in an offline state until you need them, and freeze tracks as you go (it's quick to unfreeze for edits). Also check out the Region/Marker Manager & Track Manager (View menu).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585

if sample > threshold:
    sample = threshold

That's it. Stop buying overpriced cack pushed by Youtubers!!
    If I could cover you in more Wisdoms I would.
    revsorg said:
    The SSL native plugins date back to 2006, which is 10+ years before the BX SSL emulations showed up.
  • Neural 50% birthday sale on all bar the new SLO. I grabbed the Omega Granophyre and now I've got chuggz like I'm in a doom death metal band!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2124
    “Need” is a funny thing, isn’t it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, I accidentally bought Cory Wong's plugin too. Never heard of him before but his amps sound good. I could easily just blow a couple more hundred on these plugins, must say. I "need" parallax next.

• NerineNerine Frets: 2124
    I was going the opposite way really... 

If you can’t make good music using pretty basic or stock plugins, it’s not the plugins that are the issue. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Nerine said:

If you can’t make good music using pretty basic or stock plugins, it’s not the plugins that are the issue. 
    Same for Everything really ?....guitars, pedals, Amps....but it’s a interest....and trying different things is part of the fun.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Nerine said:

Ah okay. I use Reaper. Feel free to point me in the direction of basic/stock plugins that give you a good clean tone that sounds like a good clean amplifier. And likewise for something that sounds like an actual Marshall and another that sounds close to a Dual Rectifier. I'm genuinely interested because it would help me.

Those are three amps I've had to sell due to difficulties.

So I'm over the moon to be able to approximate them with Neural and Amplitube without having to buy them again, or buy a helix or other. I've searched for a long time to find those sounds and think you're oversimplifying things by trivialising what, to some, constitutes as a good tone. I'm a guitarist first and foremost, so that matters to me more than the engineering side of things.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    If you're telling me that all my musical inadequacies can't be solved by frittering away cash on VST plugins then nothing means anything any more.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom