Any Duesenberg love on here ?

What's Hot

Comments

• ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    A lot of exposure owing to all the politics, but I've found myself being drawn to Laura Kuenssberg recently.
    swap you 2 Kuenssbergs for one katya adler

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8623
    I quite like them, if they cost 25% less than they do I'd give them a serious look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    edited June 2017
    ROOG said:
    A lot of exposure owing to all the politics, but I've found myself being drawn to Laura Kuenssberg recently.
    swap you 2 Kuenssbergs for one katya adler
    Just don't make me have a John Pienaar....
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6224
    edited June 2017
    I knew pretty much nothing about them when I bought my Caribou used, I just picked it up and instantly loved the feel of the thing. Since then I've seen all all the Korean hate and find it quite amusing. I couldn't care less where my guitar is made when it's quite so obviously put together beautifully and from parts designed and engineered to the highest standards. 

I think at these prices you have to make the effort to go and put at least one or two in your own hands and see what you think. It's not really going matter what any of us 'fanboys' or 'haters' want to think. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    I love my Starplayer TV - it gets a lot of play time. It sounds great, the fit and finish is top notch and the neck profile is perfect - neither too big nor too small. The trem is also incredible, with smooth action and amazing tuning stability. You can tell that it's a poly finish but the neck on mine is really slick. By contrast, I played a £4k PRS the other day that felt very gloopy.

I'm not bothered by the Korean issue - I take each guitar on merit.
  • artinskiartinski Frets: 9
    As far as prices are concerned - yes, over the past ten years or they were raised very steeply by Duesenberg and by Framus/Warwick, these two companies being the only 'big' ones in Germany in terms of market share (this is how I perceive it, I do not know the figures). They clearly moved into the 'premium' market, as they call it in Germay. :/
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    edited June 2017
    I find them bland, heavy and with sticky, thick finishes. I'd take a Reverend over one any day, especially at probably half the price. 

• I really wanted one after seeing Jason Isbell play one, it took me a while to work out what he was playing- I didn't recognise the D on the headstock.

From 9mins on here (It's all good and he plays some cool guitars in the rest of the set too):

• I played one recently. Really enjoyed the sustain and the efficient trem, however the neck wasnt that great and the thick poly finish wasnt either..
  • JasonJason Frets: 1120
    tFB Trader
    I have a Fullerton Elite (I also saw Jason Isbell plus Butch Walker playing one). It is flawless, I've owned many USA made guitars (at a similar price point) The Duesenberg kicks them all in to touch, it stays in tune, the trem works and it sounds fantastic, I really can't fault it at all.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    on my GAS too... Had a hands-on unplugged in GV a while back. The Bigsby style wammy seemed a little lightweight, but other than than looked a right corker quality wise. Is quite diminutive in size too.

This is the most lavish pic I have seen for a Starplayer yet...

http://static.keymusic.com/products/134860/XL/duesenberg-starplayer-tv-custom-black-2.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Yep, Jason Isbell influenced me to buy a Duesenberg as well.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    I saw Alex Munis playing a Paloma at a Nikki Lane gig and it sounded great, he did re tune after every song though.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    I'm not a cork sniffer by any means of the imagination so I'd just like to know what makes these guitars do different from other guitars with humbucker pickups. Apart from they look really cool :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    edited June 2017
    I'm not a cork sniffer by any means of the imagination so I'd just like to know what makes these guitars do different from other guitars with humbucker pickups. Apart from they look really cool
    Their major USP is being particularly expensive for a Korean made guitar. In fact they've pretty much sewn this section of the market up....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6224
    I'm not a cork sniffer by any means of the imagination so I'd just like to know what makes these guitars do different from other guitars with humbucker pickups. Apart from they look really cool :)
    Apart from the looks they're really not that different at all. Mine is a very similar feeling instrument to he Gretsch Duojet I had. The quality of some of the milled parts, like the trem and the bridge are quite a bit nicer than you get on a Gretsch but in terms of construction it's a similar ball park. 

And being a little contrary to the post above yours. It's been out to the last three rehearsals and even put up with a few overly gratuitous dive bombs to the deck on the trem. It's still in tune and I've not touched a tuner once in that time. 

I have a nice strat, tele and les paul and the dooozy was never really meant to be my main guitar but every time I get a little niggle on one of the others, that'll work it's way down the order and this one just hasn't had any. The P90 thing at the neck is nice and smooth and the bucker pushed up near the strings is just plain rude. The way I like it.  
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 275
    I have bought from Rockinger in Germany and their service was excellent 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    Their major USP is being particularly expensive for a Korean made guitar. In fact they've pretty much sown this section of the market up....
    I'd feel safer with a Gretsch if I was honest. As for the bigsby I don't think I'd use one. Are they weighty beasts those bigsbys ?  Still like the look of them though :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    dazzajl said:

It's been out to the last three rehearsals and even put up with a few overly gratuitous dive bombs to the deck on the trem. It's still in tune and I've not touched a tuner once in that time. 
    Yep, the tuning stability is extraordinary.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 703
    Just that LOL I have two DGT's, a strat, two teles, a Suhr HSS tele , A Musicman Luke III and an Axis and fancy something tonally different and was thinking about a Gretsch. Liked the look of these for a while so looked into it a bit more and liked what I read and heard. 
    The Bigsby for me is a pain in the arse, whereas the Duesenberg trem feels real nice and stayed in tune when i played the Joe Walsh model.
    #thebatesmotelband