Dumb things you get asked at work

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Opposite of all the "dumb customer" cases:

Early one morning I quickly popped into B&Q just to look at what timber they had in for something...

An older staff member (authoritative looking greying gentleman) saw me marching briskly around, and cheerfully asked me what I was looking for.  So equally cheerfully, I told him.

He replied "Ah sorry sir, it's my first day at this branch, I don't know".

Funny, but there's a fine line between being friendly and being a tit!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I gave you a lol but realised that'll be us in the future, having to find jobs when we're 67.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I gave you a lol but realised that'll be us in the future, having to find jobs when we're 67.

Now you mention it, he was probably only mid-50s (I was probably mid-40s at the time.)

But once I'm old I'll have an excuse for forgetting things...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    Back when i was working at Morrisons someone asked if we stocked sledgehammers. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    "is it serious?"
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    At the accountancy firm I trained at we took on a trainee who had a rod up his arse about being asked to photocopy stuff.

"Don't we have people to do this? I have a degree from the LSE."

"We do have people" I said, "and you're the most junior of them."

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1163
    In several guitar lessons with learners they ask "why does your guitar sound different mine?" 

Do they not realise the actual guitar, the wood, strings, amp and fingers will define the sound of it?

Do you expect two humans to speak with the same voice?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    Tavernor said:
    When I was in the wine game loads of people hated chardonnay but loved Chablis...
    I think it's the cloying over-oaked Chardonnay people tend not to like. Nothing like a fresh Chablis.
    See - this is why you can't go wrong with a bottle of Blue Nun...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    "What have you done to the phone system / photocopier / cctv / anything with a plug on ???" when I've literally just walked on site, haven't even taken my coat off and I'm there to work on their computer system anyway.

"What's my password / username?"

Also, not at my work but other people's...  when I used to wear a shirt and tie and would do some shopping on the way home, I would regularly get asked, sometimes several times in one visit, "Where are the (whatever they're looking for) ?".  After umpteen "Oh, I'm sorry, I don't work here"s, you get pissed off with how rude people are.  Almost never was the request prefaced with "Excuse me" - it was just straight in with "where are....", and nine times out of ten once I'd told them I wasn't an employee, they would just walk away! ....no "sorry" or anything!

I often played with them and when asked, would just shrug and say "dunno" and walk off, leaving them frothing at the mouth looking for the manager to complain.

I even had one old guy berate me when I told him I didn't work there, with "Well, you look like you do!", and continued to wait for me to tell him where the eggs were, as if I was actually lying and he'd caught me out!!!

I have nothing but sympathy for anyone who has to work with the public.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30120
    Today:

"Can we have the acoustic treatment to be above the ceiling so it's not visible?"

Me - "It won't work there"

"Why can't you make it work above the ceiling?"

Me - "Because it won't be in the acoustic path"

"I thought you were good at this"

Me - "I am; that's why I'm telling you it won't work"

Gah. This is a customer who paid for a third party acoustic consultant, then rejected 98% of the treatment they proposed, yet still wants the room acoustics fixed. On 2% of the budget, and without any acoustic treatment visible.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited July 2017
    ^ ^ how about this?

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    frank1985 said:
    Back when i was working at Morrisons someone asked if we stocked sledgehammers. 
    ...they must have been taking part n an episode of The Apprentice then...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Do they not realise the actual guitar, the wood, strings, amp and fingers will define the sound of it?

If they are learning, that is the opportunity for you to educate them!
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1163
    aord43 said:
    In several guitar lessons with learners they ask "why does your guitar sound different mine?" 

If they are learning, that is the opportunity for you to educate them!
    I don't know much about cooking but I know not all dishes will taste the same if cooked by two different people!!