Who's never played to an audience?

What's Hot

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1203
    camf said:
    I've sometimes found that ten seconds into a set I've forgotten everything and instead I'm concentrating on deciding which member if the audience I'm going to throw up on.
    I did a gig once where a guy threw up on the bar whilst we were playing...I was rather insulted. 
    Yeah. Sorry about that.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've only been playing since December, despite being 42. I've already played a couple of open mic nights, regularly play with a bunch of jammers at the local practice studios and have been asked to get my guitar out and play a couple of tunes at a party, which I did, and sang as well which I still find really hard at the same time as playing. 

Best thing I've ever done is start playing with others. Jamming to a looper or backing track is a bit sterile for me now but sometimes that's all I've got. 

The single biggest takeaway I've got, is that no matter how shit you are, and how much I tell people I'm not very good / still a beginner etc, everyone will admire the balls on you for doing it and even a simple chord progression to a non musician can leave them in awe. 

Go out and do it I say! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14198
    edited August 2017
    I did my first gig at 15 and last at 23 with several bands and solo. Mainly village halls and pubs but did play the town Corn Exchange Hall in front of several hundred at one point. I used to love it. The key is to be well rehearsed.

Now I do PowerPoint presentations in front of conference rooms full of people, the gigs were good training.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • when i turn up at a venue i get many requests.....but i play anyway
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    I've only been playing since December, despite being 42. I've already played a couple of open mic nights, regularly play with a bunch of jammers at the local practice studios and have been asked to get my guitar out and play a couple of tunes at a party, which I did, and sang as well which I still find really hard at the same time as playing. 

Best thing I've ever done is start playing with others. Jamming to a looper or backing track is a bit sterile for me now but sometimes that's all I've got. 

The single biggest takeaway I've got, is that no matter how shit you are, and how much I tell people I'm not very good / still a beginner etc, everyone will admire the balls on you for doing it and even a simple chord progression to a non musician can leave them in awe. 

Go out and do it I say! 
    That is simply brilliant.

You highlight an important thing about music.
    You don't need to be an amazing technician in order to have something to say with the instrument.
    I'd take one of you for every 10 bedroom shredders than never go outside their own front door.
    Well done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    Who has never played to an audience? Surely it would be simpler to ask who plays jazz.

I'll get me coat.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    Err, anyway, yes I have played in front of audiences despite being plagued by stage fright. By and large I don't like playing to people I know, if I completely f**k up in front of strangers it matters far less. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm in a band, which plays a few (single-figure) gigs per year.  Our audiences have ranged from just-pushing-double-figures to several hundred.

Immediately before going on stage I'm typically bricking it - but as others have said, a couple of chords in and it's suddenly the easiest and most fun thing in the world.

I do however get self-conscious when my wife listens to me play at home, and the idea of being handed a guitar at a party and asked to "give us a tune" terrifies me.

I freely admit I'm not the most spontaneous of people, so for me the crutch I need is to be in a "prepared" situation - namely in a well-rehearsed band, playing songs I'm really comfortable with.  That doesn't mean we don't improvise during gigs - we do - but it gives me the confidence to get over that initial hump and start enjoying being in the spotlight.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing just now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I'm in a band, which plays a few (single-figure) gigs per year.  Our audiences have ranged from just-pushing-double-figures to several hundred.

Immediately before going on stage I'm typically bricking it - but as others have said, a couple of chords in and it's suddenly the easiest and most fun thing in the world.

I do however get self-conscious when my wife listens to me play at home, and the idea of being handed a guitar at a party and asked to "give us a tune" terrifies me.

I freely admit I'm not the most spontaneous of people, so for me the crutch I need is to be in a "prepared" situation - namely in a well-rehearsed band, playing songs I'm really comfortable with.  That doesn't mean we don't improvise during gigs - we do - but it gives me the confidence to get over that initial hump and start enjoying being in the spotlight.

That's quite an interesting thing to hear, I'd always imagine that playing to someone you know and trust would be easier than playing to strangers.

Not even my dog stays in the guitar room with me for too long love him :D
  • Here's another thought... In the modern world, playing gigs can reach a hundred or so at best in the amateur world... Sitting in your bedroom with a camera can reach millions, and you get to edit out your mistakes and try it as many times as you like before letting the world see it. Is YouTube the new open mic? 

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5822
    I've played in front of 35,000 people, but that was football   :)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    i hadn't, then after a close shave with death, i made some life decisions, one of which was to play to others. A couple of years later i found myself in hospital with a drummer in the bed opposite, and he invited me to a local jam night. I played wrong notes and chords, but a couple of women got up and danced, which made my night. Now i'm still shite at lead guitar but go regularly to jams. I've even had ladies say how much they've enjoyed the music. If you dont want to join a band get to a jam or 2, have a pint and some fun.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Yep, if anyone (at all) is listening I forget everything, I never knew. Plus, my wife says, I have a 'guitar face', which apparently, looks miserable ;( , so I am hoping for a whole new perspective and persona after the Jam in Leicester............
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    It's good to know there's others like me on here I feel less of a fraud 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Some of the most life affirming moments I've had have come from playing live and being in a band. Do it dudes. Just do it. The stage-fright aspect disappears very quickly, and before you know it you're getting boners every time you hit a power chord!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Here's another thought... In the modern world, playing gigs can reach a hundred or so at best in the amateur world... Sitting in your bedroom with a camera can reach millions, and you get to edit out your mistakes and try it as many times as you like before letting the world see it. Is YouTube the new open mic? 
    The internet does not replace flesh and blood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    I've only done one gig and played a song at my Sister's wedding and while the gig was a sort of disaster, it was great fun.
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Here's another thought... In the modern world, playing gigs can reach a hundred or so at best in the amateur world... Sitting in your bedroom with a camera can reach millions, and you get to edit out your mistakes and try it as many times as you like before letting the world see it. Is YouTube the new open mic? 
    The internet does not replace flesh and blood.
    I agree with you, my thought was that the current generation would rather get likes than punters. It's all a bit...sad

• BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 252
    I have not played to a 'proper' audience.  Have played twice with some friends at home infront of the other guests but not a real, public audience.  Have been wanting to try a beginners open mic for a while now but most people I speak to about it seem to think I am getting ideas above my ability so not done it yet. Would love to but.... 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    I'm rubbish at guitar mostly because never know what to practice but I still want to play with others and in a band at some point
    I'm also 49 and didn't pick up a guitar until I was 39 and it's still hard work

Whereas I spent many years doing kung fu with lots of demonstrations and competitions, I used to do Chinese new year, there were alot of people  watching which didn't bother me because I was confident

The biggest thing for me is to play with others, it's the only way imo, it's how you get good just like sparring

So I'll be dragging myself out later this year to a regular blues jam thing in crawley, I get bored playing at home now

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)